Kroger to buy Harris Teeter for Aroun...

Kroger to buy Harris Teeter for Around $2.5 Billion

There are 20 comments on the NBC29 Charlottesville story from Jul 5, 2013, titled Kroger to buy Harris Teeter for Around $2.5 Billion. In it, NBC29 Charlottesville reports that:

Two huge grocery chains are set to join forces soon. Kroger has agreed to buy Harris Teeter supermarkets for about $2.5 billion in cash.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at NBC29 Charlottesville.

huck

Charlottesville, VA

#1 Jul 9, 2013
This should confuse ABC.
Tad

Charlottesville, VA

#2 Jul 9, 2013
I am really bumbed about Kroger buying Harris Teeter...if the service is like the store in Rio Hills, we all lose. Most of the checkout employees look like they are doing you a favor to wait on you, they chat with their co-workers and ignore the customers and I really don't think the "quality" is as good at Krogers. Guess I just have to accept the change and if my HT is not as good, I can always go back to Food Lion. By the way, my HT at Forest Lakes is a 5 out of 5...great store and wonderful employees and they are all SPECIAL people and treat me as someone special!
The Dude

Bumpass, VA

#3 Jul 9, 2013
Bummer...

I <3 HT
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#4 Jul 9, 2013
Kroger is a dump, Harris Teeter is overpriced --- are we now getting an overpriced dump? Looks like Food Lion will come out ahead - they are a dump but cost less overall.
jogger

Hillsville, VA

#5 Jul 9, 2013
Does this mean we will have two krogers in the Barracks Road Shopping Center..........
The Dude

Bumpass, VA

#6 Jul 9, 2013
Gnu wrote:
Kroger is a dump, Harris Teeter is overpriced --- are we now getting an overpriced dump? Looks like Food Lion will come out ahead - they are a dump but cost less overall.
I'll pay more for a clean store with quality.

This sucks

:-(
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#7 Jul 9, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>I'll pay more for a clean store with quality.
This sucks
kroger isn't dirty
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#8 Jul 9, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>I'll pay more for a clean store with quality.
This sucks
Like a hotel; yes, this does suck
But hey, don't forget Wegman's ( I64 and 5th Street ) is coming. Yes $$$$, but is incredible and overall better in all aspects than Whole Foods IMHO
Gnu

Charlottesville, VA

#9 Jul 9, 2013
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
kroger isn't dirty
dirty is relative. compared to the Teeter, it's filthy
French Dip

Charlottesville, VA

#10 Jul 9, 2013
Will Kroegers prices go up or will Harris Teeters prices go down?
bobby b

Charlottesville, VA

#11 Jul 9, 2013
This sucks, I will pay more for better service anyday,

Since: Apr 13

Location hidden

#12 Jul 9, 2013
No surprise as HT has been struggling for several years. Food Lion is hurting too, so don't get too attached to them. Retail trade is highly competitive, and the grocery biz is cutthroat.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#14 Jul 10, 2013
Gnu wrote:
<quoted text>
dirty is relative. compared to the Teeter, it's filthy
how so?
The Dude

Bumpass, VA

#15 Jul 10, 2013
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
how so?
Seriously? The Rio Shopping Center one is like walking into an old Walmart, it's crowed, poorly lit, has crappy produce, long lines, and ambivilent employees. The Hydraulic road Kroger has the same problems but is even dirtier. I have literally walked out of there because of thier long lines despite having available check outs. I would rank it in the top ten worst grocery stores I have ever been in, maybe top 5. I'll shop at a Food Lion long before I'll shop in a Kroger, and I hate Food Lion.
The Dude

Bumpass, VA

#16 Jul 10, 2013
*ambivalent
*their
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#17 Jul 10, 2013
The Dude wrote:
<quoted text>Seriously? The Rio Shopping Center one is like walking into an old Walmart, it's crowed, poorly lit, has crappy produce, long lines, and ambivilent employees. The Hydraulic road Kroger has the same problems but is even dirtier. I have literally walked out of there because of thier long lines despite having available check outs. I would rank it in the top ten worst grocery stores I have ever been in, maybe top 5. I'll shop at a Food Lion long before I'll shop in a Kroger, and I hate Food Lion.
I go to Rio and Hydraulic all the time and haven't noticed any dirt. Their produce isn't really much worse than HT. I buy most of my produce at Cville Mkt, and some at Kroger when on sale. Last week Kroger had great looking lettuce for 99cents, better condition than WF $2.69 sad looking lettuce I saw yesterday, so it's hit or miss. Overall though, WF has the best produce, Wegmans has larger selection but not as good and it's expensive. I rarely shop at HT, FL or giant.
As for check out lines, yeah they can be long, although more often than not I don't wait at all, and on average it's better than Wegmans lines. Their employees aren't rude. I often just use self service and am not looking for an ego stroke when shopping.
huck

Charlottesville, VA

#18 Jul 10, 2013
poorly lit? I'll have to bring my light meter next time to verify this claim
Sez you

Richmond, VA

#19 Jul 10, 2013
Ya know I really don't distinguish between food stores that much. Convienence is key for me. Just from my own experience the Food Lion on 5th ext always caters to the customer, if a checkout line gets long they automatically open up another lane. I like the effort. The store is never that busy and I buy by brand name. Veggies? ugh. HT and Krogers are always crowded and I ain't got the patience to deal with that.
Donna

Charlottesville, VA

#20 Jul 10, 2013
huck wrote:
<quoted text>
I go to Rio and Hydraulic all the time and haven't noticed any dirt. Their produce isn't really much worse than HT. I buy most of my produce at Cville Mkt, and some at Kroger when on sale. Last week Kroger had great looking lettuce for 99cents, better condition than WF $2.69 sad looking lettuce I saw yesterday, so it's hit or miss. Overall though, WF has the best produce, Wegmans has larger selection but not as good and it's expensive. I rarely shop at HT, FL or giant.
As for check out lines, yeah they can be long, although more often than not I don't wait at all, and on average it's better than Wegmans lines. Their employees aren't rude. I often just use self service and am not looking for an ego stroke when shopping.
I'm not looking for an ego stroke either, but I do expect the people checking my groceries to be interested in doing more than scanning and then reaching for my money, while chatting with their fellow employees. That's what I've experienced at the Rio Hill Krogers and if they aren't interested in me as a customer then why should I be interested in what they're selling? Maybe they would be surprised just how much their customers appreciate a smile and concentration on what they're getting paid for, service to the customer.
JCC

Charlottesville, VA

#21 Jul 10, 2013
Sez you wrote:
Ya know I really don't distinguish between food stores that much. Convienence is key for me. Just from my own experience the Food Lion on 5th ext always caters to the customer, if a checkout line gets long they automatically open up another lane. I like the effort. The store is never that busy and I buy by brand name. Veggies? ugh. HT and Krogers are always crowded and I ain't got the patience to deal with that.
The HT at Barracks Road is often busy, but at least they make an effort to open checkouts when customers are lining up. I don't remember ever standing in line there more than 2 deep without someone, even a manager, stepping up to a register. I quit going to Krogers years ago because of the always slow service.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harris Teeter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Four N.C.-based supermarket chains rank among n... Apr '15 wittlecher 1
News 2.2 earthquake reported near Steele, MO Apr '15 Sam 1
Rude Store Employees (Sep '14) Sep '14 Mrsbu 1
News Kroger Tops Grocery Sales Study in Charlottesvi... (Jul '13) Jul '13 Sez you 15
News Frozen berry mix linked to hepatitis A recalled (Jun '13) Jun '13 nurseamyg 1
News Harris Teeter not yet a 'yes' for city (Dec '11) Dec '11 AliceInWunderland 1
More from around the web