Can you play harmonica if you tune yo...

Can you play harmonica if you tune your guitar down 1/2 step?

Posted in the Harmonic Forum

Diatonic

Thailand

#1 Sep 14, 2010
This morning I was listening to a recording of Bob Dylan playing an old Hank Williams song: Lonesome Whistle Blues (done in 1962).

Long story short: I figured out that Dylan had tuned his guitar down 1/2 step......he was also playing some great harp. But I have no idea how he did it.

The song begins in C then to F then G......but when you tune down 1/2 step that changes.

If you don't tune down, you play a C harp. If you tune down 1 full step, you play a Bb hard. I have no idea what harp Dylan was playing tuned down 1/2 step.

I would like pointers about what harps to play when you tune down 1/2 step. Thanks.
Graham

Auckland, New Zealand

#2 Feb 12, 2013
Dylan generally plays Straight harp as I recall, which means the harp is in the same key of the song. If the song is in A, he plays an A harp (as opposed to cross harp for playing blues where the general position is 4 notes above the key of the song, so if the song is in A, you need a D harp)
A band play I play in is tuned down 1 step, and it is a pain because I need a full set of harps in different keys.
I have no idea what harp you would use if tuned down half a step.
The biggest thing I am trying to get to grips with is you say Dylan was playing GREAT HARP, and I find that very hard to imagine!(no disrespect intended to the great Mr Dylan)

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Harmonic Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Harmonics (Apr '09) Apr '09 RavindraMB 1
More from around the web