Saturday, Oct. 24

Saturday, Oct. 24

There are 33 comments on the Lebanon Daily News story from Oct 24, 2009, titled Saturday, Oct. 24. In it, Lebanon Daily News reports that:

On Nov. 15, Americans will celebrate America Recycles Day. Recycling is a simple way in which everyone in Penn sylvania can protect the environment, preserve our natural resources and con tribute to the economic well-being of our nation.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Lebanon Daily News.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Anthony Gebhard

Haines City, FL

#21 Oct 25, 2009
Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, Tony, you're not ready to let it go. I get it. Your loss - at least for now.
So, who's the "evidence-based" thinker, Al Gore or Freeman Dyson?
And who gets to decide who the "correct sources" are?
My experience is that "scientists," especially those whose work is underwritten by public money to investigate things like global warming, are hardly reticent. They're eager to speak out, most usually in ways that perpetuate their funding. Global warming will be a problem for these people as long as they need a job.
What interested me most about your letter was that, while you can personally claim legitimate expertise in only one area, it offered your opinions on a number of issues, with an assumption of legitimacy for all of them because you are a "scientist."
A little humility would be a good thing.
Over and out.
Oh come on, I just that we were starting to make progress Buster.... anyways. Science is more a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge, another quote from Carl Sagan. If you understand the intricacies of experimental design and read the data from the horses mouth, not the local news channel, you can appreciate the data. And no I don't get my data from Al Gore, I get it from scientists such as J. Hansen, C. Field X.F. Gu, G. Guyot, M. Verbrugghe etc. who publish in peer-reviewed journals such as Science, Nature, Climate etc. That's okay, I let you go back to your cave and you can believe the sky is green, buildings are made of marshmallows and where the Easter bunny and Santa Claus exist.
Anthony Gebhard

Haines City, FL

#22 Oct 25, 2009
Buster wrote:
<quoted text>
OK, Tony, you're not ready to let it go. I get it. Your loss - at least for now.
So, who's the "evidence-based" thinker, Al Gore or Freeman Dyson?
And who gets to decide who the "correct sources" are?
My experience is that "scientists," especially those whose work is underwritten by public money to investigate things like global warming, are hardly reticent. They're eager to speak out, most usually in ways that perpetuate their funding. Global warming will be a problem for these people as long as they need a job.
What interested me most about your letter was that, while you can personally claim legitimate expertise in only one area, it offered your opinions on a number of issues, with an assumption of legitimacy for all of them because you are a "scientist."
A little humility would be a good thing.
Over and out.
Oh, I almost forgot, I didn't answer your question about who is the evidence-based thinker. Freeman Dyson obviously has the education in the relevant field, but his conclusions made are contrary to the overwhelming majority of scientists in that field. Please read articles and books written by J. Hansen, C. Field X.F. Gu, G. Guyot, M. Verbrugghe, just to name a few, if you want a "well-rounded" view. Al Gore as well as approx. 50% of Americans tend to agree with these guys, which tend to be more evidence-based.
Pennabittercling er

Egg Harbor Township, NJ

#23 Oct 25, 2009
Buster,
"Well I appreciate your insight and your point is noted. I have no intention of self-admiration and quite the opposite. I hate drawing attention to myself and rather prefer to stay in the background."

Funny, how your letter to the editor shows up in the Saturday paper, but then your engagement announcement with a photo of a very pretty bride- to-be, appear in the Sunday paper the very next day.
Imagine that...the very next day.

For a minute there, I was confused. I thought you really had no intention of drawing attention to yourself.

Lebanon is not impressed when it comes to self admiration. The retired senior citizens in Florida will benefit from your research. At least until Obamacare kicks in in a few years.
Anthony Gebhard

Haines City, FL

#24 Oct 25, 2009
Pennabitterclinger wrote:
Buster,
"Well I appreciate your insight and your point is noted. I have no intention of self-admiration and quite the opposite. I hate drawing attention to myself and rather prefer to stay in the background."
Funny, how your letter to the editor shows up in the Saturday paper, but then your engagement announcement with a photo of a very pretty bride- to-be, appear in the Sunday paper the very next day.
Imagine that...the very next day.
For a minute there, I was confused. I thought you really had no intention of drawing attention to yourself.
Lebanon is not impressed when it comes to self admiration. The retired senior citizens in Florida will benefit from your research. At least until Obamacare kicks in in a few years.
Haha, that was a coincidence. My fiance sent the engagement announcement in over a month ago and I sent the letter to the editor last week. I have no control over when things go in the paper, unless you think that is a conspiracy as well like all the other trash-conspiracies out there. P.S. At least my fiance is flattered by your comments!
Bonehead Buster

Philadelphia, PA

#25 Oct 26, 2009
Can't you people see Buster said "Over and Out" that means the blog is over. He has taken his ball and went home.
Buster

Holland, MI

#26 Oct 26, 2009
OK, one more. Too good to pass up.

Tony writes: "Science is more a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge..."

Oh, really? Pretty self-serving, don't you think? You don't need a body of knowledge to render an opinion on anything, you merely need to think the right way. That sounds just like those other famous sciences: sociology, political science and astrology, right?

And J. Hansen? NASA's J. Hansen? C'mon...!

Now I've had enough.
Anthony Gebhard

Haines City, FL

#27 Oct 26, 2009
Buster wrote:
OK, one more. Too good to pass up.
Tony writes: "Science is more a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge..."
Oh, really? Pretty self-serving, don't you think? You don't need a body of knowledge to render an opinion on anything, you merely need to think the right way. That sounds just like those other famous sciences: sociology, political science and astrology, right?
And J. Hansen? NASA's J. Hansen? C'mon...!
Now I've had enough.
Buster,

Once again you twist what I say to attempt to discredit me. Yes I was referring to James Hansen, but also to the slew of other scientists I mentioned, you should read some of their work like I have. And in reference to Carl Sagan's quote, I was referring to be the thought process in the scientific method (it is universal!). Scientists that study how viruses, bacteria, drugs work, use the same method as climatologists, they all go through a process (scientific method) with real controlled experiments to arrive at a conclusion. It's utter nonsense to think science is just opinions. Oh also, you state that the scientists (which you put in quotes as if they are thoughtless pawns in a game that no nothing) that you have come across are guilty of not only falsifying data, but then screaming at the top of their lungs for my money. Well food for thought Buster, why is it that we have medications, vaccines, new medical procedures, etc. that have increased the life expectancy of humans by 20 years of the last century??? I guess these scientists just made up all this stuff! And how many scientists do you actually know personally, I doubt very few as your writing reeks of disdain for them. The more you write, the more your ignorance shows, like I said, go back to your cave!
Buster

Holland, MI

#28 Oct 26, 2009
Tony, every time your fingers hit the keys, you broadcast your weaknesses. You are extremely thin-skinned and intolerant, very poor qualities when combined with the monumental self-regard you continuously display.

These are potentially fatal flaws.

You impulsively and compulsively rise to every bait. The frequency with which you check this thread to read and respond to anything you perceive as a slight is an unhealthy manifestation of an immature need for affirmation, agreement and respect, things that can only be earned, never demanded. You demand them nonetheless.

You seem to think that, just because you have accumulated a couple of acronyms behind your name, you have made it. Sorry, pal, your work has just begun. It's time to produce. Though you may think yourself to be special somehow, you're just a regular guy in a different business than a lot of other regular guys. Everyone is expected to produce. If you're not confident of your ability to do so, demanding respect from others will prove to be an unsatisfying substitute for real achievement.

Come back when you have actually finished something tangible that your degrees only prepared you to begin.

Scientist? Perhaps, but TBD. Successful? Maybe some day.

In the meantime, you have an awful lot to learn.
Anthony Gebhard

Tampa, FL

#29 Oct 26, 2009
Buster wrote:
Tony, every time your fingers hit the keys, you broadcast your weaknesses. You are extremely thin-skinned and intolerant, very poor qualities when combined with the monumental self-regard you continuously display.
These are potentially fatal flaws.
You impulsively and compulsively rise to every bait. The frequency with which you check this thread to read and respond to anything you perceive as a slight is an unhealthy manifestation of an immature need for affirmation, agreement and respect, things that can only be earned, never demanded. You demand them nonetheless.
You seem to think that, just because you have accumulated a couple of acronyms behind your name, you have made it. Sorry, pal, your work has just begun. It's time to produce. Though you may think yourself to be special somehow, you're just a regular guy in a different business than a lot of other regular guys. Everyone is expected to produce. If you're not confident of your ability to do so, demanding respect from others will prove to be an unsatisfying substitute for real achievement.
Come back when you have actually finished something tangible that your degrees only prepared you to begin.
Scientist? Perhaps, but TBD. Successful? Maybe some day.
In the meantime, you have an awful lot to learn.
Buster,

Believe it or not, I actually am published (it is a prerequisite to getting all those letters behind my name). You would know this if you went to www.pubmed.gov or read such peer-reviewed journals such as Disease Biomarkers or the journal of Gastroenterology. Now, I must let this comment-board rest as it is the work week and some of us actually work, I'm assuming that you are retired as you so commonly scourn me as a kid!
hadenuff

Holland, MI

#30 Oct 26, 2009
Young Doc Gebhard, are you sure you have a PHD? You're punching way over your weight class. That old dude, if that's what he is, set you up and put you away in the first few posts, and you still haven't figured out you've been KO'd.
Bonehead Buster

Philadelphia, PA

#31 Oct 26, 2009
Buster wrote:
Tony, every time your fingers hit the keys, you broadcast your weaknesses. You are extremely thin-skinned and intolerant, very poor qualities when combined with the monumental self-regard you continuously display.
These are potentially fatal flaws.
You impulsively and compulsively rise to every bait. The frequency with which you check this thread to read and respond to anything you perceive as a slight is an unhealthy manifestation of an immature need for affirmation, agreement and respect, things that can only be earned, never demanded. You demand them nonetheless.
You seem to think that, just because you have accumulated a couple of acronyms behind your name, you have made it. Sorry, pal, your work has just begun. It's time to produce. Though you may think yourself to be special somehow, you're just a regular guy in a different business than a lot of other regular guys. Everyone is expected to produce. If you're not confident of your ability to do so, demanding respect from others will prove to be an unsatisfying substitute for real achievement.
Come back when you have actually finished something tangible that your degrees only prepared you to begin.
Scientist? Perhaps, but TBD. Successful? Maybe some day.
In the meantime, you have an awful lot to learn.
The problem is not that Tony takes the bait, the problem is you, Buster. We do these blogs to state opinion. You do more bickering, nit picking and name calling then anyone. Everything you wrote in this blog was condescending but in your small mind it was ok because you just wanted Tony to take the bait. I'm on to you Buster. That is why I am the Bonehead Buster. Tony must know a little about Gastroenterology Maybe you should see if he can hook you up with some plexi-glass to put in your stomach so you can see where you are going because you sure have a bad case of cranialrectumitis.
Good ole PA for ya

Haines City, FL

#32 Oct 26, 2009
well said bonehead buster, i agree with you. buster feels powerful because he can get this man to respond to his nonsense, but if we had more people who actually showed how silly buster looks, maybe we could have an actual intelligent conversation on here instead of name calling. I've seen buster write on other letters too and all he does is name call, real mature, especially since it sounds like he/she is an older person.
Jim Dandy

Macomb, MI

#33 Oct 28, 2009
Mr. Gebhard, I'm going to borrow a line from your letter to the editor.
"In the words of Carl Sagan, people need to get out their baloney detectors and find the truth."

The truth is that global warming is indeed real, if not the Earth would have never emerged from the ice age. More truth is that this planet has been going through warming and cooling cycles longer than there has been intelligent life on it to interfere with those cycles. Those cycles are caused and influenced by powers and forces much greater than we lowly humans have exerted. One volcanic eruption or major wildfire will outdo all of the effort that has been done to counteract, decrease or reverse global warming. While seemingly huge to us as individuals, the effort put into trying to change the course of nature is minuscule in the overall scheme of things.
The effort to clean up our environment is a very worthwhile cause and I wholeheartedly support it. This is our home, we need to stop destroying it, start repairing it and clean it up for ourselves as well as for future generations.
To do it in the name of stopping global warming is pure folly. The financial gains to be made by influential people are so great that they can't pass up the opportunity to perpetuate this hoax.
I don't have the time to properly address all of the other points you bring up but I will make an effort to address your other points with my opinions.
H1N1, the virus that's hyped up just in time to draw attention to something health care related as the current administration is trying to socialize our system.
You did mention that it is no more deadly than the regular seasonal flu. According to the numbers published by the CDC, it appears to be far less deadly. What is the current death toll attributed to H1N1? Is it anywhere near the roughly 36,000 (yes thirty six thousand, estimated by the CDC) deaths that seasonal influenza causes in the United States each year? Not even close. Will it get that high? Probably not, and judging by the current data, probably not even close.
More political sensationalizing to benefit someone's greed at the expense of the general population.
I agree with you about the truthers.
The debate is still open on deathers. Unfortunately we'll not know that outcome until it's too late.
There's still a lot of evidence to support the birthers, I'll not even try to get into that debate.
Vaccines are safe, for most people, most of the time. Getting the flu won't kill most people most of the time. If the flu were like polio or smallpox I'd support the vaccine 100%, but it isn't and I don't.
Yes I do think we have a great health care system now and no I'm not in the wealthy-elite minority, my wife and I together earn just over $40,000 per year and pay over $7700 per year in premiums plus $2400 per year deductible and have untold co-payments and non-covered expenses. That's the insurance industry, litigation, greedy people, irresponsible people and a host of other problems that are being glossed over for the sake of something more closely resembling socialism.
The system is far from perfect, it needs a lot of work to correct a lot of problems, but to revamp it the way the current administration is proposing can do nothing but make it more even less affordable for the working class and less efficient for everyone.
I also agree with you on your views of evolution. Evolution is real, it's happening all around us all the time. It does indeed leave room for the existence of a higher being, almighty power or whatever you want to call that in which you believe.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Halliburton Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Halliburton pleads guilty to destroying Gulf sp... (Jul '13) Sep 8 Kevorkian 41
News Halliburton Defends Its Cement Work, Blaming BP... (Sep '10) Sep 6 Ole Miss Heroin 18
News Cheney's Halliburton Made $39.5 Billion on Iraq... (Mar '13) Jul '16 Czech defector 52
Rolex 30 year gift. (Jun '15) Jun '16 Lizardberry 5
UPDATE 1-Nigerian oil union shuts down Hallibur... (May '15) May '15 xxx 1
News Halliburton Profit Declines Less Than Estimated (Jul '09) May '15 swedenforever 23
News Fracking Used To Inject Nuclear Waste Undergrou... (Mar '15) Mar '15 BDV 2
More from around the web