Grainger to cut up to 400 jobs

Grainger to cut up to 400 jobs

There are 2 comments on the Chicago Tribune story from Feb 11, 2009, titled Grainger to cut up to 400 jobs. In it, Chicago Tribune reports that:

W.W. Grainger Inc. , faced with sharply declining sales, outlined a series of cost-cutting measures today that include elimination of up to 400 jobs at the Lake Forest distributor of maintenance-related ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Chicago Tribune.

TinTin

Elgin, IL

#1 Feb 11, 2009
This is a surprise. I used to be with Grainger for 7 years in the 90's and the company prided itself on never having had a layoff EVER.
Having said that, are we at the point now where public companies believe that they have to cut their workforce just to show Wall Street that they are doing something in reaction to the woeful economy?! Univ of Chicago hospitals and Grainger are the local exhibits to support this theory.
FlyBye

Patchogue, NY

#2 Apr 14, 2010
Grainger exemplifies the epitome of unethical business behavior. The level of dishonestly starts at the top levels and is encouraged throughout all the organization. Those who are employed that don't routinely lie to customers, suppliers and their peers don't ussually last to long. The lucky ones leave and those who stay are usually fired. Don't let the fact that they tout 'we don't lay-off people' fool you. The rate of turnover at that company is extremely high.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Grainger W W Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ex-sales manager files 'whistleblower' lawsuit ... (Feb '08) Mar '15 another neutral o... 28
grainger w w forum (Apr '13) Apr '13 lenutaa_mirceaa 1
News Mixed outlook for manufacturing as momentum slows (Jan '13) Jan '13 EmmaCay 1
News Acklands-Grainger prez gets added responsibilit... (Apr '09) Apr '09 person 1
News W.W. Grainger to cut up to 400 jobs, freeze exe... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Tom from Stow 1
News Colonial Williamsburg receives donation of $2M ... (Jun '08) Jun '08 Euro K 2Me 1
News W.W. Grainger reports strong 1Q profit (Apr '08) Apr '08 RamRod 2
More from around the web