Granite Construction to lay off 150 w...

Granite Construction to lay off 150 workers

There are 4 comments on the Monterey County Herald story from Oct 3, 2009, titled Granite Construction to lay off 150 workers. In it, Monterey County Herald reports that:

Granite Construction, one of the largest civil contractors in the U.S., announced late Thursday afternoon that 150 employees, 8 percent of its salaried work force nationwide, will lose their jobs as of Oct.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Monterey County Herald.

Jabberwocky

Salinas, CA

#1 Oct 4, 2009
It's sham... These are probably Americans, with families that have paid taxes for years... and I'll bet they get no help from our government. Now on the other hand, I see the illegal immigrants will be getting money to pay title 8 vouchers and more money for food to give to the illegal Mexican woman that come here and squirt out a free ticket to rid the welfare system.

Yup, America sucks for Americans, but is great for illegal criminals!!!! Hell, they’ll get free health care once the our Democratic representatives vote to give them this, Amnesty and more…

Yup, the new America SUCKS!!
SharonB

Salinas, CA

#2 Oct 5, 2009
Seems the Obama stimulus program is still wrongly focused on long term construction projects. We need to support the smaller business enterprises with tax incentives like immediately writing down new equipment expenditures whose purpose is to streamline operations, expand the business, and subsidize government mandated expenses; short term stimulus is needed. I’m thinking of the health care reform and Cap and Trade expenses soon to be foisted on all of us. The corporate tax is obscene when compared to the rest of the industrial developed countries. We need to cut that tax back to around 15% which would give our business ventures a very well needed helping hand. Support our country should be shouted out at every community hall meeting and stop the overspending NOW.

America is still the land of opportunity and home of the brave. To say this great experiment is a failure and sucks is just plain ignorance. We have problems, but they are solvable. I have lived or worked in 28 different countries around this world and truly believe we have the best form of government I have observed.
SharonB
American

Reno, NV

#3 Feb 10, 2010
Word on the street is Granite's business model is to focus on submitting outrageously lower bids to force local competition out of business so they can make their profits when there’s nobody left to compete against them. That’s what happens when you have shareholders to please.
Opinionated

Monterey, CA

#4 Oct 28, 2010
Granite's business model was flawed when they started began their mergers and acquisitions phase - Halmar in New York, ISS in Utah, Wilder in Alaska - grew too fast too soon all the while spending money on ideas that failed on the vine (software upgrades, conversions, employee development) all the while paying their executives outrageous salaries and bonuses and special perks for those executives and their families oh, and one special executive assistant that got a 70,000 loan to buy a house several years ago. Bottom line, their business model is FLAWED - which is too bad because they were at one time a great local company with character and valued their employees. They grew too fast and forgot about their employees - can't grow without employees - don't forget about them!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Granite Construction Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Granite Construction cuts 227 workers; 50 lose ... (Oct '10) Jun '14 Dan 45
Share Your Design (Jul '12) Jul '12 shareyourdesign 1
News More hearings on strip mine near Temecula (Feb '12) Feb '12 Allen 1
News Granite Construction cuts 227 workers (Oct '10) Feb '11 Carl Bendix 29
News Community helps plan first Pajaro park (Nov '10) Nov '10 corralitosres 3
News Tony Campos ahead in fundraising in supervisor ... (Oct '10) Oct '10 corralitosres 5
News Tony Campos ahead in fundraising in supervisor ... (Oct '10) Oct '10 Santa Cruz Native 2
More from around the web