Guitar Center IS A JOKE!
GC_IS_A_JOKE

North Reading, MA

#1 Nov 10, 2007
Foamfoot

United States

#2 Sep 8, 2009
Lol, this website is a joke. What, is it run purely by angst-ridden teenagers who can't stand somewhere after they've had to wait a little bit after returning an item?

Put up some reasoning, and I'll listen. Until then, I love my guitar center. It's playground with guitars.(do not use them as a jungle gym - personal experience.)
Aaron

Chicago, IL

#3 Sep 26, 2009
I guess it would depend on the town you live in. One of many gripes I have with GC is they don't repair what they sell. The reason is one can't make money doing repairs. The whole reason a store does repairs is for 2 reasons. 1. They do them because there is a moral obligation to stand behind the products they sell. Nobody seems to do that any more. 2. It makes them accountable for what they are selling. Manufacturers such as Gibson have nailed this one on the head. One can't, typically, buy a Gibson guitar from a store that works on them. What an easy way to move all the B-stock products to unsuspecting parents and players. I guess there would be a 3rd reason to do repairs, to win over a customer from GC.

Moral of the story: Buy from and support a store that can do more for you than just hand you a receipt for usually the same money or maybe a little more.

Aaron Hedges
[email protected]
Eliana

United States

#4 May 30, 2010
Aaron wrote:
I guess it would depend on the town you live in. One of many gripes I have with GC is they don't repair what they sell. The reason is one can't make money doing repairs. The whole reason a store does repairs is for 2 reasons. 1. They do them because there is a moral obligation to stand behind the products they sell. Nobody seems to do that any more. 2. It makes them accountable for what they are selling. Manufacturers such as Gibson have nailed this one on the head. One can't, typically, buy a Gibson guitar from a store that works on them. What an easy way to move all the B-stock products to unsuspecting parents and players. I guess there would be a 3rd reason to do repairs, to win over a customer from GC.
Moral of the story: Buy from and support a store that can do more for you than just hand you a receipt for usually the same money or maybe a little more.
Aaron Hedges
[email protected]
I think that the biggest reason that GC does not repair items that they sale is because they don't have a repair shop certified to do that. They don't manufacturer the items... don't even set the items up so it isn't really their responsibility to repair them. That is why the manufacturer's offer a warranty and GC offers an extended warranty on top of that. It would be different if GC was a shop that built up their prodcuts and sold them, but since they don't.. do you really want just some GC employee really fixing your $2000 guitar?? You need certified professional shops that are contracted with the manufacturer or warranty group because they are entrusted with that responsibility.
Also, the GC stores have a lot of restrictions, the items are used, they work purely off commission so as you can understand things can suck there. If you really want a good experience, order from their online store. They really do care about customers and if you have had a bad experience.. it is usually because you have set the bar higher than any company can acheive or think you are a Almighty God.
Eliana

United States

#5 May 30, 2010
(Best Buy.. Target.. KMart.. Walmart.. Sears.. these are other examples of companies that do not repair products that they sell.. there is a return pd.. and after that you can go through the manufacturer warranty or if you were smart enough to purcahse the extended warranty go through that.. just remember that these companies do not manufacturer the items.. they do not have a shop in back where they build them and are not certified to repair them.. also it is good to remember that if the item is damaged in shipping or has a manufacturer defect, it isn't their fault they didn't handle it during shipping and they didn't make it.. yet they still fork out money to ship it back to them and replace it, its all about seeing both sides of the spectrum :)]

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guitar Center Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Being a Guitar Center Employee (Aug '07) May '15 Glig 143
Refunds (Nov '14) Nov '14 R0rschach 1
guitar wall hangers (Jul '14) Jul '14 kevin hansen 1
Bass Refurb (Oct '13) Oct '13 Massquatch 1
Steinberger Bass (Jul '13) Sep '13 jed 3
Holiday Steel Guitar (Mar '10) Aug '13 John 4
What guitar center really is!!!!! (Dec '08) Mar '13 JonathanAppleseed 25
More from around the web