Being a Guitar Center Employee

Being a Guitar Center Employee

Posted in the Guitar Center Forum

First Prev
of 8
Next Last
A Nobody

Northville, MI

#1 Aug 13, 2007
The reason there are so many salesman with little experience at Guitar Center is because they can't take care of the ones they already have. Just like any huge corporation, they set rediculous standards for minimum wage, and if you don't comply they fire, and re-hire over and over again. They do not care about their customers, and even worse their own employees driving their business. Just like the saying the rich get richer, and the poorer get poorer. This is the Guitar Center way. Upper management get paid six figures, when their employees on the front lines get two figures if that. The salesman that do care about their jobs, and the equipment they sell to people are looked down upon by management if their gross sales are not meeting an astronomical standard they set upon them. Numbers is all they really care about, not the complete satisfaction of their customers, and well being of their employees. though they say that isn't so, it is the absolute truth. Instead of paying their employees a livable wage, they pay them as little as possible, and try to squeeze anything they can out of them. They make you watch dvd's about how cool it is to be a Guitar Center employee, when it should be about how cool it is to pay for your regional managers Porsche. Just to give you and example, most minimum goal performances for a guitar center salesmen is $30,000.00 in gross sales for one month. If your lucky you might make between $20.00-$150.00 on your commission check. Who wants to be a Guitar Center employee now?......... They make you (A)ppoach customers,(P)osition on customers, and (E)ngage on customers. This is what they call APE. This is why you can't just walk into Guitar Center, and just look around without getting bothered by a salesman. It's not the salesman's fault, and I want customers to understand this. You should show a little bit more respect for those salesman you see in guitar center, because no one in their right mind would ever do what we do. Everyone just thinks we are clerks, when really we are soldiers in the music retail industry. We put up with more crap than you could ever imagine, and we work every holiday you have off.

Guitar Center is trying too hard to push out performance without adequate compensation to their employees. If the company is falling its our fault, and we are the ones that suffer. So next time you go to buy something please be nice to us.

sincerely,

Tired and Over Qualified Employee of Guitar Center
Another nobody

Northampton, PA

#2 Mar 31, 2009
(a nobody)I just got hired a week ago and started learning how to be a salesman and your right!every word down to the period.All in all i love the job BUT!!!!!...I have not seen my first paycheck yet.
an ex-employee

Murrieta, CA

#3 Jun 2, 2009
Very true indeed.

I was once a department manager for a few months, and then I quit. This was a couple years ago. And every time I go back to my old store, there are new employees in every department. There are two or three employees that still work there from two years ago, and they're the ones dominating the sales, while the new employees are struggling to get the hang of the job, and then they get let go because they cant make the numbers.

Another reason why I left is this:
For the duties and obligations as a GC employee, the pay was NOT WORTH IT. If you aren't hitting commission, you're just making minimum wage for keeping up with customers, making follow-up calls, trying to get more names and numbers, while juggling in-store customers, doing store transfers for other stores, etc. MINIMUM WAGE. You could get the same (if not better) pay by mindlessly restocking shelves at target or something. Look at car salesman. They drive nice cars, wear suits every day, things like that. Why? BECAUSE THEY CAN AFFORD IT. The only rich people in Guitar Centers are the customers, NOT the salesmen (or even managers, at that.) I DO NOT recommend this job as a career OR EVEN A SIDE JOB. It is not worth it.

If you're just seeking a good discount, haggle them! Besides, it's probably better making money elsewhere and paying a haggled price, than working at GC and getting the employee discount.
A current employee

Roseville, CA

#4 Jun 21, 2009
This is all true. I am a current department manager in drums. Guitar Center makes me hate music. That is how much I hate my job. I only came here because I was laid off from my job in construction and needed something to get me by. I didn't know how their "commission" system worked until I was already on board, I found out I made more money ON UNEMPLOYMENT! I can't say enough bad things about working here....
For getting paid minimum wage, they expect too much out of us. They say they just want to see us make money but what they are concerned about is getting their own bonuses. If stuff comes up stolen, the operations people automatically assume we are all thieves and need to be fired. We always hear how dirty our store is yet are not given proper cleaning supplies (or a cleaning crew for that matter).
And then come the customers. The dip shits that come in and think they are entitled to some kind of discount because they "spent thousands here". Well, asshole, I have spent thousands of dollars at the grocery store. Do I get shit for free?
Or how about the guys wanting an "artist discount"? Thats like going to a car dealership and wanting a driver discount. And if you are such a badass, why arent they sending you this shit for free? People dont realize that when they grind us down, they are just taking money out of our theoretical paycheck, and have no respect for the bills we have to pay. And they deserve to have their ears chopped off with a tomahawk.
I want to see every Guitar Center burn to the ground. I can't wait to get out of here, and never return as a customer again...
bazzmazter

Boulder, CO

#5 Jun 26, 2009
Another nobody wrote:
(a nobody)I just got hired a week ago and started learning how to be a salesman and your right!every word down to the period.All in all i love the job BUT!!!!!...I have not seen my first paycheck yet.
Your manager should have explained the pay structure. 1 week is impossible to get a paycheck, since you say that thats all you have been employed w/ GC for. 1 week in and already complaining?- I suggest you spend your time focusing on how to build a good business for yourself utilizing all the assets this company provides for you. It's not hard to make great money doing this, I guarantee you, there are huge money making and career making opportunities in this company.
Bosley

Tallahassee, FL

#6 Jul 14, 2009
Real money? Assets the comany provides you?
Your kidding. It's about really rich people mmking more money. Bush economics at it's finest.
We do the work, they make the profits.
johnny5

Aurora, CO

#7 Jul 22, 2009
bazzmazter wrote:
<quoted text>
Your manager should have explained the pay structure. 1 week is impossible to get a paycheck, since you say that thats all you have been employed w/ GC for. 1 week in and already complaining?- I suggest you spend your time focusing on how to build a good business for yourself utilizing all the assets this company provides for you. It's not hard to make great money doing this, I guarantee you, there are huge money making and career making opportunities in this company.
hahahaa.......what a loyalist. yeah...you can make money at the store gm level and above, but i've been around long enough to see everyone else coming out around 9 bucks an hour IF they "fade" and get a commission check.....but if not they're right there with the mickey-d's crowd @ the minimum wage level. dude is a weiner if he's only been there a week and is already bitching...that or maybe he's smart enough to see the bullshit train coming before it's running his ass over....either way fuck gc. a policy of failure and finger pointing. fucking their customers and their employees and passing the slavings on to marty albertson...if i'm lyin i'm dying. peace nyukkah.
Nunya Fckin Business

Roseville, CA

#8 Jul 22, 2009
I love bitching about my shitty ass job here! Mainly the overly pretetentious customers that think THEY are entitled to some kind of discount because they are simply themselves. Alot of them just want to look business savvy in front of someone. "Whats MY price? Man I've spent thousands here, don't give me that crap what's my price".
Well, sir, I have spent thousands at Raley's and guess the f*ck what? I ALWAYS pay what the god damn price says! This is Guitar Center. Not a farmers market. This is the Wal-Mart of music stores, and we really don't give a flying f*ck if you come back or not. Because Marty Albertson will still have his personal jet, and I will still have plenty of other asshole customers to blow their wad on my face and eat away at my theoretical paycheck, making minimum wage, so Marty Albertson can have his personal f*cking jet.........

That is pretty much my speech-over-the-intercom in my last day, still needs some work though!
New_at_GC

Massapequa, NY

#9 Aug 6, 2009
Well i just started about a week ago at GC as well. Is this really what i have to look forward to? i mean i also ave not yet recieved a paycheck (Im aware its too early for one!) but will i be completley turned in my thinking when i see the little wage for the amount of work they have me doing?
GO AWAY GC

Oregon City, OR

#10 Aug 6, 2009
Nunya Fckin Business wrote:
I love bitching about my shitty ass job here! Mainly the overly pretetentious customers that think THEY are entitled to some kind of discount because they are simply themselves. Alot of them just want to look business savvy in front of someone. "Whats MY price? Man I've spent thousands here, don't give me that crap what's my price".
Well, sir, I have spent thousands at Raley's and guess the f*ck what? I ALWAYS pay what the god damn price says! This is Guitar Center. Not a farmers market. This is the Wal-Mart of music stores, and we really don't give a flying f*ck if you come back or not. Because Marty Albertson will still have his personal jet, and I will still have plenty of other asshole customers to blow their wad on my face and eat away at my theoretical paycheck, making minimum wage, so Marty Albertson can have his personal f*cking jet.........
That is pretty much my speech-over-the-intercom in my last day, still needs some work though!
Radical correct answer that sums them up!your right!! good luck, get away while you can bro!!!!
GO AWAY GC

Oregon City, OR

#11 Aug 6, 2009
When I saw a disabled person that worked their for years get back stabbed and made fun of, demoted, humiliated in front of everybody I left fast!

They are anti-civil rights!
Its all about money and that's it!
I have heard so many good people, customers and great employees slandered, they are the cancer of the music industry.
if you work for gc

Hollywood, FL

#12 Aug 18, 2009
i wouldn't post anything about the guitar center good or bad on any forum if i worked at guitar center they will fire you
Nunya Fckin Business

Roseville, CA

#13 Aug 18, 2009
if you work for gc wrote:
i wouldn't post anything about the guitar center good or bad on any forum if i worked at guitar center they will fire you
They can't fire you for contributing to a forum, for one. And everyone is anonymous, so how can they know who is who? I'm not worried about it. As terrifying as losing my minimum wage job sounds..........
JustSayin

Chicago, IL

#14 Sep 19, 2009
So I should run

United States

#15 Oct 6, 2009
So I have an interview on wed. for a sales position... Apparently I should just run for my life? Do you guys get any benefits at all? or is it strictly minimum wage with a chance of commission.
Former employee

Roseville, CA

#16 Oct 8, 2009
So I should run wrote:
So I have an interview on wed. for a sales position... Apparently I should just run for my life? Do you guys get any benefits at all? or is it strictly minimum wage with a chance of commission.
Honestly, I hated it there. But that doesn't mean you will. It depends what the city is like , but mainly what department you work in. I was workin in drums as a manager, working my ass off. And people working half as hard in pro audio and guitars were making three times as much as me.
To put the commission into perspective, because it's hard to explain; my best month, I sold about $30000 worth of shit, my commission for that month was about $140.
So you can see why I consider it a waste of time.
As far as health benefits, they are actually pretty good. Everything is available, but not until you've worked there for 6 months.
The good thing is, you will meet a lot of cool people and it is an oasis for networking.
GC Customer

Austin, TX

#18 Dec 31, 2009
You know what I think...I think that all these a!!holes running GC are greedy b!st!rds, and all these "employees" are a bunch of f!!king a!!holes who like to ignore their customers(more like avoid)and try to defend their cause with..."I work hard and I'm a musician too...I don't want to be here to baby sit customers"...WELL THEN WHY THE F!!! DID YOU APPLY FOR THE JOB???!!!
It's a JOB dude!!!!....J.....O.....B..... get over it!
Customer service mean sh!t to you??
and as for these customers....there are a!!hole customers EVERYWHERE but that doesn't mean you have the right to ignore them.
If you don't like it....QUIT.
ANON

Tell City, IN

#19 Jan 3, 2010
How are the Medical Benefits GC?
laid off last year

Fort Mohave, AZ

#20 Jan 20, 2010
GC isn't a (easy) career path for everyone... but if you have the balls and the people skills, you will go far.
Sales and customer are a daily struggle, but let's face it, this environment can be a cool place to spend your time in, and it's still the best (least expensive) place to buy gear.
Overall it was a great experience for me and countless indivuals who went farther than many of us ever dreamed.
Allen

Los Angeles, CA

#21 Feb 18, 2010
Does anyone know what the attendance policy is? I have been trying to get a copy of the employee handbook, but no one seems to have it. I only got a copy of the sales manual. Any info would be great!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 8
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Guitar Center Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Refunds (Nov '14) Nov '14 R0rschach 1
guitar wall hangers (Jul '14) Jul '14 kevin hansen 1
Bass Refurb (Oct '13) Oct '13 Massquatch 1
Steinberger Bass (Jul '13) Sep '13 jed 3
Holiday Steel Guitar (Mar '10) Aug '13 John 4
What guitar center really is!!!!! (Dec '08) Mar '13 JonathanAppleseed 25
Guitar Center Reality (Nov '12) Nov '12 Kevin Zaloba 3
More from around the web