Long Island businesses say they're re...

Long Island businesses say they're ready for storm

There are 1 comment on the Newsday story from Jul 22, 2007, titled Long Island businesses say they're ready for storm. In it, Newsday reports that:

While Wednesday's storms have officials and citizens asking whether Long Island is prepared for a hurricane, several major employers said this week that they are ready for such an eventuality with plans to ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

Nick

Stony Brook, NY

#1 Jul 26, 2007
"The nice thing about hurricanes is that you can see them coming in advance, which gives us the ability to plan for them," Horton said.
????(I place the question marks because of the vagueness of this statement)

Your notion may hold up for weak hurricanes, however with strong cat.3+ hurricanes there will be very little time to prepare. We wouldn't know for sure a major hurricane is going to hit until 12-18 hrs before it does and even that is a high end figure. If we rolled back to 1938 we would have had 8 hrs. maximum to prepare based on a forecast that implied a direct hit was certain, or in the 95% Percentile.

What type of planning will you do Horton if you receive a forecast saying the storm is 300 miles south of Cape Hatteras, and that it's track remains uncertain?

What do you do? Do you plan for the worst? I guarantee you that many businesses nor residents will do this until they know for sure that a major hurricane is coming...

This is due to the geography problem that hurts us on Long Island. By making simplified statements as you did, you actually cause confusion among the general public.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Gentiva Health Services Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Get Ready for the Bounce (Jul '10) Aug '14 Shanin 2
Gentiva is the Titanic (Aug '14) Aug '14 Shanin 1
News Casey Anthony Murder Trial Closings Set for Sunday (Jul '11) Jul '11 noname 2
News Gentiva Health Services moving headquarters to ... (Feb '09) Feb '09 Homer Simpson 7
News CareCentrix To Make East Hartford Its Headquarters (Sep '08) Sep '08 CtMC 1
News long island digest (Mar '08) Mar '08 VO DO DOLL 1
News Gentiva says home health expansion boosted sale... (Feb '08) Feb '08 New Port Richey 1
More from around the web