Groupon boiler service

Posted in the Groupon Forum

Karen Shaw

London, UK

#1 Jan 14, 2012
I have to post my experience this very day as a warning to anyone purchasing so called boiler services from Groupon

I arranged a service from C Anderson & Sons from Fulham for Saturday 14th Jan. The engineer arrived around 8.45 and was, I thought, a little bit odd with his social skills but I showed him to the kitchen where the boiler was.

After about 10mins he said that the condenser pipe outside needed lagging (had a lot of work done to the boiler and heating system last year and British Gas never said this) and whilst I was in my living room I heard him make a call regarding a part fro my boiler. I was thinking 'what's he doing?' and went to the kitchen . He said he had to shut my boiler down as the seal around the cover was broken (it wasn't it was a little worn) and that he had ordered it and it would cost me 10 plus vat PLUS an extra hour labour! He had not run this past me first so I asked him to put back the boiler cover, switch it on and leave as I had lost faith in him.

I doubt he even made that call and I believe that I would have been a victim of sharp practice had I not stopped him right there.

At this point I thought I would get the man of the house up for some support and he came downstairs wondering why there was a fuss. The engineer was very slow in competing my requests and started writing out his report. He wanted me to sign so I wrote that the service was refused due to the engineers conduct, whilst he was trying to see what I was writing!

He then asked for the Groupon voucher and I said no, I was not paying for a non service and and asked him again to leave. He refused and started to make a phone call and stood there whilst both I and M asked him more loudly to leave or we would call the police, which I had to do as he would not go.

Whilst I was on the phone (999) he walked out of the front door which was immediately locked and made calls whilst sitting and standing by his van.

He left just before the police arrived and I made a report.

I also then called the company who I felt weren't that surprised considering the police had been involved and said they would pass the information on to the manager.

I have had some good deals with Groupon but I think there are a lot of sharks in heating and plumbing and if I had been say an old lady, or even someone who hasn't seen rogue builders on a regular basis then there is a lot of scope for these companies to defraud people outright. I shall of course be complaining to Groupon on Monday

Be careful out there!
Ollie

UK

#2 Jan 14, 2012
Karen Shaw wrote:
I have to post my experience this very day as a warning to anyone purchasing so called boiler services from Groupon
I arranged a service from C Anderson & Sons from Fulham for Saturday 14th Jan. The engineer arrived around 8.45 and was, I thought, a little bit odd with his social skills but I showed him to the kitchen where the boiler was.
After about 10mins he said that the condenser pipe outside needed lagging (had a lot of work done to the boiler and heating system last year and British Gas never said this) and whilst I was in my living room I heard him make a call regarding a part fro my boiler. I was thinking 'what's he doing?' and went to the kitchen . He said he had to shut my boiler down as the seal around the cover was broken (it wasn't it was a little worn) and that he had ordered it and it would cost me 10 plus vat PLUS an extra hour labour! He had not run this past me first so I asked him to put back the boiler cover, switch it on and leave as I had lost faith in him.
I doubt he even made that call and I believe that I would have been a victim of sharp practice had I not stopped him right there.
At this point I thought I would get the man of the house up for some support and he came downstairs wondering why there was a fuss. The engineer was very slow in competing my requests and started writing out his report. He wanted me to sign so I wrote that the service was refused due to the engineers conduct, whilst he was trying to see what I was writing!
He then asked for the Groupon voucher and I said no, I was not paying for a non service and and asked him again to leave. He refused and started to make a phone call and stood there whilst both I and M asked him more loudly to leave or we would call the police, which I had to do as he would not go.
Whilst I was on the phone (999) he walked out of the front door which was immediately locked and made calls whilst sitting and standing by his van.
He left just before the police arrived and I made a report.
I also then called the company who I felt weren't that surprised considering the police had been involved and said they would pass the information on to the manager.
I have had some good deals with Groupon but I think there are a lot of sharks in heating and plumbing and if I had been say an old lady, or even someone who hasn't seen rogue builders on a regular basis then there is a lot of scope for these companies to defraud people outright. I shall of course be complaining to Groupon on Monday
Be careful out there!
Can I suggest passing this information on to the office of fair trading, they are currently investigating groupon and it's 'business' partners.
Karen Shaw

London, UK

#3 Jan 14, 2012
That's an idea.

Thanks!
K M Gas Engineering

Sheffield, UK

#4 Jan 15, 2012
People like this do give others a bad name, I am still thinking of using Groupon but might think again if it would tarnish the name of my company.

I would say however if the case seal was worn and not fit for purpose then it should have been turned off and be classed immediately dangerous.
If in any doubt you can ask for the engineers I.D and call Gas Safe and they will confirm if the engineer is telling you the truth or not.

Many times customers think their boilers are fine but seeing as I would be the last responsible person in your house I would be to blame if you died of carbon monoxide poisoning and not changed the seal or tuned it off, its that serious.

However, with the engineer making a dash when calling the police that is a bit dodgy...
Karen Shaw

London, UK

#5 Jan 16, 2012
K M Gas Engineering wrote:
People like this do give others a bad name, I am still thinking of using Groupon but might think again if it would tarnish the name of my company.
I would say however if the case seal was worn and not fit for purpose then it should have been turned off and be classed immediately dangerous.
If in any doubt you can ask for the engineers I.D and call Gas Safe and they will confirm if the engineer is telling you the truth or not.
Many times customers think their boilers are fine but seeing as I would be the last responsible person in your house I would be to blame if you died of carbon monoxide poisoning and not changed the seal or tuned it off, its that serious.
However, with the engineer making a dash when calling the police that is a bit dodgy...
I appreciate what you're saying but the boiler IS fine. The man was not.
HomeDirect 247 Limited

Sheffield, UK

#6 Mar 3, 2012
We are a professional heating and gas business, with 20+ yrs worth of knowledge. We use Groupon and some other online advertising companies and we give our Groupon customers an amazing experience, we would like to think they keep returning to us so it's first class all the way, don't listen to too much grape vine activities, just because one person let it all down were not all the same.
HomeDirect really changes the way other businesses operate today and always, from Groupon customers to date we have over 150 excellent genuine comments and not a single bad one, they speak volumes
Joe

Melksham, UK

#7 Jun 11, 2013
If your condense pipe was not lagged then he was correct to point it out, British gas are over rated smaller firms are more honest and provide better workmanship because they care more about there customers! Also if your case seals are worn which is a very common problem it should have been noted as an advisory, or if was really bad it should have been disconnected, if I was the engineer on site I would of called NG and had them disconnect your gas for your ignorance
Dibbo

Milton Keynes, UK

#8 Jul 4, 2013
More dodgy custermers out there than gas engineers,The times i have been ripped off by cust is unreal. as far as i can see the engineer was correct apart from not discussing the problems with the cust and getting permision to order the parts.. british standards recommend the insulation of condensate pipework, and one of the checks is to see the conditon of the combustion chamber seal. if its degraded it must be changed. no brainer realy.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Groupon Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Bought deals have disappeared from My Groupon A... (Feb '11) Dec 22 Lesley wells 10
Millenium gel nails (May '12) Dec 17 Lady Justice UK 131
Groupon: Can Harvest Private Data! Nov '14 markyelka 1
Vegas Deals Card Nov '14 Vegastravelor 1
Canvas Deal by You Frame " Should be stopped now " (Aug '11) Oct '14 HappyCustomer 120
Groupon photography misinterpretation Oct '14 lalilalu 1
Booking Restaurant Reservations Through Groupon... Oct '14 Eagle355 1
More from around the web