Fired after calling internal guideline

Fired after calling internal guideline

Posted in the Georgia Pacific Forum

ccc

Royal Oak, MI

#1 Aug 15, 2008
Just wanted to let you know that my husband made a call to the guideline with very serious allegations. They have "investigated" and determined that he is deliberately planting evidence to get the plant manager fired (?) and placed him on suspension.
No one will listen or consider the HARD, WRITTEN evidence he has to the contrary. The lead investigator waited two weeks to even come to the plant and before she came, she gave the plant manager the full complaint and time to fix items on it beforehand. This despite her assurances to my husband that the plant manager would not see the document beforehand.

The outside attorney who ostensibly was supposed to just be "fact finding" has refused to interview employees whose statements would contradict those of the plant manager, HR manager, and safety manager who are named in his complaint. He will submit his report but without other pertinent facts and statements from employees. In short, they are covering up and refusing to hold the plant manager accountable for his deliberate, willful non-compliance with environmental, health and safety and HR issues.
My husband won the Environmental Excellence Award in 2006, his project was the 10,000% Compliance Inititative. It is currently being rolled out to the entire division. He is featured on the Corporate Social Responsibility Report as a "transforming voice". His integrity is impeccable, he has a reputation for being scrupulously honest. He is also on the corporate audit team. Charles Koch said to "yell until someone hears you". Apparently, when they hear you, you get fired.
We are stunned and disappointed that deliberate lies and deceptions are being used to fire him after CONSTANT reassurance that NO retaliation would be tolerated for having called the guideline. He started out sweeping floors at GP 20 years ago and has consistently worked his way up through hard work and excellence and a sincere devotion to "doing the right thing" for both GP and their employees. People jokingly tell him that if got cut he would bleed GP blue. We know the suspension will not be reversed. No one ever comes back after a suspension. No doubt the rest of the investigation will be scuttled and it will be business as usual for the Savannah gypsum plant. How sad that the employees at that facility now know for a fact that they have no support and that MBM and 10,000% compliance is just a sham.
BlueHeel

Tyler, TX

#2 Aug 19, 2008
Sorry to say that this is borne out in other plants. As a manager I visited Savannah and know of this approach.

I personally wrote David Koch about a plant manager's failure to follow Principle #1. Never heard anything in response. Decided I needed to look myself in the mirror so I resigned. The principles and MBM are wonderful on paper, but they have to be accepted as the rules at the plant level. Despite Charles' and David's statements, the almighty dollar is still king.
ccc

Royal Oak, MI

#3 Aug 20, 2008
BlueHeel,

Would love to discuss this further with you. Please feel free to e-mail us off [email protected]

Did you visit the Savannah plant during the expansion? If so, my husband undoubtedly met you.

Christina
hydro

Coweta, OK

#4 Feb 17, 2009
We have guiding principles and they are wonderful. Talk is cheap, performance is what counts. Remember its only business
Zulu

Bentonville, AR

#5 Jun 28, 2010
The guilding principles were built for an organization that did not compete in the CPG industry. What this did for GP was create a culture where it is everyone for themselves. It is about individual contribution in an industry that requires the true collaboration of the cross funtional team in order to be successful. If you do not beleive this, just review the compensation plan.

The senior leadership at GP wants all the glory, but deflects any and all faults as belonging to someone else. To be an effective leader you have to be willing to accept the reprocusions of your actions or decisions. This is not happening on a number of different levels. The best thing that could happen to GP would be for to Koch sell them and allow the company to get back to its roots...a low cost provider of quality paper goods. Today it is all about making investment grade returns not matter what.

As for the those laid off...it is just business, but what of the guilding principle of treating perople with dignity and respect? I have seen first hand the horrible way in which some individuals have been treated....quality, high performing people who happened to be assigined to the "wrong" manager. Again, issues deflected so to avoid personal accountabiltiy at the expense of another and his or her family. And what happended to the guilding principle "Integrity"?

The leaders of this great company need to wake up and take a very long look in the mirror...you are failing, maybe not in profit dollars, but in the culture have created. Question those you have put in charge as they are focused on themselves and are leading the entire company down a dark path.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgia Pacific Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Video Spotlight - A Whites-Only Bathroom on the... (Nov '07) Sep '14 WC St Marys 893
Unfair Hiring Practices? (May '08) Jun '14 emily 18
Great Northern soft and strong toilet tissue (Sep '09) Apr '13 Sandy 17
News NewPage Announces New Board of Directors (Jan '13) Jan '13 funny 2
Bowling Green division (Mar '12) Mar '12 So ya know 1
G-P layoffs (Nov '08) Nov '10 Bert 5
News Quilted Northern Soft & Strong Users Have You N... (Nov '09) Nov '09 Former GP 1
More from around the web