Great Northern soft and strong toilet...

Great Northern soft and strong toilet tissue

Posted in the Georgia Pacific Forum

Mike Winn

Madison, WI

#1 Sep 21, 2009
I contacted Georgia Pacific to complain about their shortening the length of the roll and reducing the number of sheets per roll. Their reply "We made the decision to slightly reduce the roll to bring you the bathroom tissue you trust at the same value". If that's how they define SAME value, I'm changing brands. I would encourage everyone to do the same for BETTER value.
William Kirk

Johnson City, TN

#2 Oct 20, 2009
I will also be looking for another brand that has not been changed to "maintain" the value! Has anyone shopped other brands to determine if they likewise have shortened the tissue rolls?
Joan D

Maidens, VA

#3 Oct 25, 2009
William Kirk wrote:
I will also be looking for another brand that has not been changed to "maintain" the value! Has anyone shopped other brands to determine if they likewise have shortened the tissue rolls?
Yes, Angel Soft has done the same thing. I am highly disappointed in both and figure this is just something else we are getting cheated out of in this day and time of cutbacks! The prices certainly have not gone down.
Ruth H

Baltimore, MD

#4 Oct 29, 2009
They are all doing it! So it looks like we are stuck with shorter/narrower toilet paper. This sucks.
Miles Klein

Arlington, TX

#5 Nov 8, 2009
I first became aware of the shortening of the roll of Great Northern toilet paper when I noticed more of the holder/roller exposed on either side, and the roll tending to move more back and forth on it. Pity we can't stop using the stuff altogether, although I have heard about some kind of modernistic toilet that squirts water and then warm air to dry...ah well, seems that they've got us by the...the cheeks.
Kate

Rio, WI

#6 Nov 23, 2009
I also contacted the GREAT Northern co and got the response "I'll certainly pass your comments on to our marketing staff". I too feel that we have gotten the short end of the consumer stick, again. They must really think we are obtuse to not notice such an obvious dip into our pocketbook. I'm surely going to check other manufacturers.
Wm Wallace

Bedford, NH

#7 Nov 29, 2009
William Kirk wrote:
Switched to Charmin who have not reduced roll width, after buying Nothern for doubledigit years...Will not happen again
Wm Wallace

Bedford, NH

#8 Nov 29, 2009
Have used Northern for double digit years, will not happen again! Compared the width in the store and switched to Charmin!
hate reduced Northern width, like being in public restroom at home!
MeToo

Dawsonville, GA

#9 Dec 18, 2009
Wm Wallace wrote:
Have used Northern for double digit years, will not happen again! Compared the width in the store and switched to Charmin!
hate reduced Northern width, like being in public restroom at home!
I quit buying Great Northern. If others do too, maybe they'll go back to the wider rolls. I purchase rolls by first checking the width, then checking the brand. Hopefully, at least ONE quality brand will keep the wide rolls if we all start buying that one. Let's see if "free market" competition works in this case. Just think, we could be in a Fascist, Progressive country that mandates a smaller width "for the good of society."
Moneyman

Laveen, AZ

#10 Dec 31, 2009
Its all about the money. Less width equals less paper equals more money for GP. First it was sheet reduction, and this is where embossing came in to blow the roll up to the same diameter, then paper quality was reduced and embossing takes a junk sheet and makes it feel like a quality one. Some have even increased core diameter in an attempt to maintain roll size.
In the end all is an attempt to fool the consumer into not realizing they are paying more for less. When you sell less for more you make big bucks.
wilma wright

Atlanta, GA

#11 May 23, 2010
I have bought great northern forever. have tried several other brands since you have changed the width of your rolls. this week i will try charmin. If the rolls are wide this will become my new toilet paper. Previously recommend great northern to everybody, but not any more.

an unhappy previous customer
AL Campbell

AOL

#12 Sep 21, 2010
Why did it get so ROUGH?
Frustrated

Kansas City, MO

#13 Sep 28, 2010
I just emailed Northern as am really put out. They have enlarged the cardboard tube inside a roll of toilet tissue. As I said to them, a 'profit thing', but when they enlarged the tube of course they put can now put less tissue on a roll.

My Big Complaint, is my toilet tissue holder is a plastic thing made just the size the tube used to be......now they have enlarged the tube and the roll of tissue just flops around.

Aggravating to me!
Alysa Waring

United States

#14 Mar 4, 2011
I hope this gets to Great Northern and not just a random blog. I bought the new Great Northern tissue labeled 50% stronger. My question is "Stronger than what?" I would hate to try to use anything weaker than this one. It would fall apart in your hands. It is incredibly flimsy and a total waste of money. Obviously I will never buy it again.
martha hall

United States

#15 Aug 12, 2012
I, also, am sorely disappointed in Great Northern Quilted bathroom tissue. I have used it for more than 30 (thirty) years, and I am shopping for an alternative brand. I called the company a while back in regard to the "sheets" on the rolls not being perforated for tearing the tissue sheets off the roll. Only about every third sheet is perforated. I was told they had an equipment failure at the factory, and it was being resolved. Sorry, I don't see any improvement. I will be changing brands after many years. Also, the cardboard tube has greatly been increased in size. They must think the general public is really stupid. It is an insult to our intelligence.
Inge

Colorado Springs, CO

#16 Feb 10, 2013
I, too, am very disappointed in Northern. Up to now Northern has been my brand of choice. I've been telling my friends about the down sizing of the rolls not knowing about this blog site. I'm glad to see others are complaining. I will be shopping for another brand.
Sandy

Missouri City, TX

#17 Apr 1, 2013
I am disappointed. Great Northern has produced less on the roll and now different packaging along with to is no longer SOFT! What is going on? I am looking for another brand!
! Done!!!!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Georgia Pacific Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Video Spotlight - A Whites-Only Bathroom on the... (Nov '07) Sep '14 WC St Marys 893
Unfair Hiring Practices? (May '08) Jun '14 emily 18
News NewPage Announces New Board of Directors (Jan '13) Jan '13 funny 2
Bowling Green division (Mar '12) Mar '12 So ya know 1
G-P layoffs (Nov '08) Nov '10 Bert 5
Fired after calling internal guideline (Aug '08) Jun '10 Zulu 5
News Quilted Northern Soft & Strong Users Have You N... (Nov '09) Nov '09 Former GP 1
More from around the web