Do you want a car without power locks...

Do you want a car without power locks and without power windows

Created by Danny on Jan 13, 2010

1,364 votes

Click on an option to vote

Yes, I hate power windows.

I want standard door locks.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Danny

Largo, FL

#1 Jan 13, 2010
I went looking at cars last year and decided to keep my old one. I am not impressed with the dealerships attempt to force power door locks and power windows on me. To me a car is transportation. Not a rolling living room. And I sure won't pay for what I don't want.
I want a car with standard roll up windows, manual door locks, I want headlights that use regular bulbs, not those high priced halogen things. No, I do not want a clock in the dash of my car. I have a wrist watch.
The cars they put on the lots these days do all kinds of things for me. I don't want that.
As far as I'm concerned they can keep there Onstar, there power this and power that. Give the clock to the yuppie as an option. Don't you dare check my tire pressure without my permission. And I am not going to be burdoned with fixing all that junk after it breaks. I have better things to do than sit at a dealership all day waiting for service. J>M>J>
Dave

Largo, FL

#2 Jan 13, 2010
I agree, I'm a working guy. With a realworld job. I have monthly bills. What I want to know is why are there cars being sold overseas that claim 40 plus mpg with mere gasoline and diesel engines, and that has eluded gm and other US. automakers. Do they think were dumb? I am not impressed with the so called new Volt. No way do I have 25k for that. The public knows that 40mpg technoligy has been around for at least 15 years. Remember the honda crx. How about Citreon. I heard a rumor that ford plans to finally bring some of this to our shores this year.
58 Chevy Truck Owner

Glendale, CA

#3 Jan 13, 2010
I keep my trucks at least 20 years. Power windows and all that "Lazy "person junk breaks or wears out then $$$. Also why dosen't Gm Make a gasoline Hybrid or Diesel No Frills small truck with a standard cab[NO 4 Doors} and a 8' bed? I then might consider selling my simple 1958 Chevy Pickup. Well maybe not ...the 58'still has 52 yrs more life in it.
sita

Kitchener, Canada

#4 Feb 6, 2010
I am with the above. I can not find a car without all the power crap as I call it. To me it is just more things to go wrong. All I want is a nice basic reliable car and oh yeah manual transmission is a must. A frustrated woman driver.

Since: Oct 09

Ford City, PA

#5 Feb 7, 2010
What kind of survey questions are these? What are "standard locks?" Did you mean to say standard power locks?

Anyway, give me power locks and windows.
janet

Mckenzie, TN

#6 Feb 8, 2010
Oh no! Don't tell me that I cannot find a "plain automobile". I will soon be searching for a "new to me" automobile, and my mind is made up that I do not want power anything on the interior of my car, unless it is a great set of speakers that I can crank up Vern Godsen or CCR on. I want my power to be under the hood. My sister has a 2000 Buick, her power windows have broken many times, and she has them repaired at $300 a pop or more. I can just image what a newer car repair might cost. I do not want or need a GPS, my car to call someone for me,or an alarm that goes off and makes me the center of unwanted attention in a parking lot. I have a '72 GMC,'89 Tracer, and '98 Ranger no power locks or windows and they all work just fine still-- with such a span of years on them. After reading the post here I feel that I might be very disappointed when I start my search for my new ride. Wish me luck!

Ford City, PA

#7 Feb 9, 2010
janet wrote:
Oh no! Don't tell me that I cannot find a "plain automobile". I will soon be searching for a "new to me" automobile, and my mind is made up that I do not want power anything on the interior of my car, unless it is a great set of speakers that I can crank up Vern Godsen or CCR on. I want my power to be under the hood. My sister has a 2000 Buick, her power windows have broken many times, and she has them repaired at $300 a pop or more. I can just image what a newer car repair might cost. I do not want or need a GPS, my car to call someone for me,or an alarm that goes off and makes me the center of unwanted attention in a parking lot. I have a '72 GMC,'89 Tracer, and '98 Ranger no power locks or windows and they all work just fine still-- with such a span of years on them. After reading the post here I feel that I might be very disappointed when I start my search for my new ride. Wish me luck!
I am on my 3rd Subaru Legacy, the other 2 had power windows, locks, mirrors, etc. Owned the 1st one for 8 years & 136,000 miles, all power equip worked fine. 2nd one had a power moonroof too, still all working fine when I traded it after having it 7 years and 118,000 miles.

Maybe your Buick's problems were just that...it was a Buick. Had one recently and got the heck out of it, as it was falling apart at 65,000 miles with no support from the Great GM.
Tammy

Holly Springs, NC

#8 Aug 9, 2010
I'm finding it next to impossible to find a car without power windows. I don't care so much about the power locks, but I HATE power windows!!! I have 2 cars (both Buicks) and none of the windows work anymore!! I will not buy another car with power windows. I do not consider the power options as a selling point, but rather a drawback for me.

Ford City, PA

#9 Aug 10, 2010
WOW...look at that. Two posts (other than mine) in a row where people have Buicks and their power windows don't work. Look at my post in the middle about NOT buying a Buick.
not lowering myself

London, KY

#10 Jan 10, 2011
Buick Lacrosse is the most reliable mid sized car you can buy. Another idea: Don't overuse them. Avoid drive thrus every day which only puts pressure on power windows. When you need to cool down the car (AC not working), alternate between the windows. Keep the AC charged up so you can cut down on power window motors.
Gm man

Washington, MI

#11 Jan 10, 2011
Danny wrote:
I went looking at cars last year and decided to keep my old one. I am not impressed with the dealerships attempt to force power door locks and power windows on me. To me a car is transportation. Not a rolling living room. And I sure won't pay for what I don't want.
I want a car with standard roll up windows, manual door locks, I want headlights that use regular bulbs, not those high priced halogen things. No, I do not want a clock in the dash of my car. I have a wrist watch.
The cars they put on the lots these days do all kinds of things for me. I don't want that.
As far as I'm concerned they can keep there Onstar, there power this and power that. Give the clock to the yuppie as an option. Don't you dare check my tire pressure without my permission. And I am not going to be burdoned with fixing all that junk after it breaks. I have better things to do than sit at a dealership all day waiting for service. J>M>J>
Someone needs to take a Vacation to the 80s
Bill

United States

#12 Jan 16, 2011
I currently have a Dodge Caliber with crank windows and push down locks. My concern is what will I be able to find when it's time to buy a new car. I only broke down and got a cell phone two years ago, and I can't stand the car adz that act like somehow high tech means better. After Hurricane Ike hit Houston a few years ago the first phone that worked after the storm was an old rotary line. In my opinion, it's the same with cars. The more high tech, the more to go wrong.
Diane

United States

#13 Jan 26, 2011
My daughter suggested the Toyota Yaris I now have. When we bought it in 2006 it was for the gas mileage.I like it because it is not power windows and locks. My last car was a Sebring and one of the windows worked part-time and I was afraid the locks would jam like a friends did so we traded it on the Yaris. My only regret with this car is we bought the 2 door and I wish I had bought the 4 door. However there were no 4 door cars on the lot that day and we bought what they had. You know what they say about patients. I know we will one day soon be looking for another car,we now have a grandchild and will need more room. I will be looking for something similar to what I have now but bigger. I agree with Bill from Texas, The more high tech, the more to go wrong. I am just a simple person who wants just a simple car. No frills or fuss.
carpoor

United States

#14 Feb 1, 2011
For those that put down people like me that are looking for non power windows etc. You obviously have a lot of money to hand over to the repair shop.
I am going back in time with some of my vehicles, easier and cheaper to fix.
Gm man

Washington, MI

#15 Feb 1, 2011
carpoor wrote:
For those that put down people like me that are looking for non power windows etc. You obviously have a lot of money to hand over to the repair shop.
They really don't break, and they are not that expensive to fix if they do.
cruiser

Thompson, Canada

#16 Jun 24, 2011
carpoor wrote:
older cars are not cheaper to fix, I have a 2001 pt cruiser with 58,000 km thats just starting to cause me problems and parts are impossible to find and very expensive the first was ac 2000 dollars, took it in for brakes they couldnt find regular brake pads had to go for performance parts for the pads and rotars took them a week to get them $600 plus tax, my cars been in the shop for over 2 wks waiting for a Transmission control module, cant even get one in canada new or used, frustrated i surfed the web made calls to find one myself i could only find one in florida, thats 500 for the tcm not including labor for install and these cars are everywhere, my power windows stopped working (front doors, back door windows work fine) I dont even want to know how much that will cost to fix or where in hell they will find parts if it takes over a week to get brake pads, chances are i will buy a new car before they get the tcm for this one.
alan

Alderley, Australia

#17 Jul 23, 2011
I look at all the new cars and cannot find anything I like. Carmakers are just not listening to the people. Cars nowadays are too heavy, are full of electric crap that breaks, have no decent bumper bar, silly expensive lights. We don't want to have the whole car damaged just for slightly bumping in to a fencepost!
Most people I know want:
MINIMAL ELECTRICS(manual windoes/mirros) etc.
LIGHT BUILT
A DECENT BUMPER BAR
OLD STYLE NORMAL LIGHTS
BRING BACK THE VINYL INSTEAD OF CARPET
LEAVE SPACE UNDER THE BONNET TO WORK
MANUAL GEARBOXES.
alan

Alderley, Australia

#18 Jul 23, 2011
Mark_Nuz wrote:
<quoted text>
I am on my 3rd Subaru Legacy, the other 2 had power windows, locks, mirrors, etc. Owned the 1st one for 8 years & 136,000 miles, all power equip worked fine. 2nd one had a power moonroof too, still all working fine when I traded it after having it 7 years and 118,000 miles.
7 or 8 years is nothing. They will break soon.
glb

United States

#19 Jul 27, 2011
people are just lazy!!! no wonder so many are
fat.just go to a grocery store or walmart and
see how many shopping carts are left all over.
God forbid they would have to crank a window,
use a key to unlock or start up the car or
learn how to read a map!
patrick

Ninnekah, OK

#20 Sep 22, 2011
glb wrote:
people are just lazy!!! no wonder so many are
fat.just go to a grocery store or walmart and
see how many shopping carts are left all over.
God forbid they would have to crank a window,
use a key to unlock or start up the car or
learn how to read a map!
They also spend lots of money on their health club dues and are so lazy they park in the fire lane and handicapped parking without being handicapped

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

General Motors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Spring Hill, TN applicants (Dec '15) Mon Sandy 284
hiring process (Mar '15) Sep 22 Almostdone 51
TPT Temporary Part Time position Sep 20 Very curious 3
General Motors Hamtramck those that took assess... (Nov '15) Sep 20 Green eyes 157
GM Temp Workers Sep 16 Gmhopeful 3
General Motors assessment test for the Hamtramc... (Oct '15) Sep 15 Dottie 139
Lansing Grand River Plant (Nov '11) Sep 15 gmhopeful 4
More from around the web