Jersey City, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 28, 2008

Judged:

have a 97 4wd Jimmy I'm working on, starts rough and idles rough but runs. Pulled codes, P0300 & P1300, has had plugs wires cap & rotor done recently. Was wondering if the ignition module should be my next stop, does anyone know if it is in the distributor? Can Autozone test these?
Dst

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jul 31, 2008

Judged:

1994 s10...4.3 Vortec.
Runs great for days, then after a restart, cuts off. Can rev up, dies. Restarts after awhile. Most times, if I let it sit overnight, it'll restart and run great...sometimes for weeks. Getting worse now, cuts off more often, every other day or so. The problem never happens if it is running already Usually presents after a restart, as soon as you start under load...No gas smell under hood. Exaust very rich smelling when it quits. CPI has been checked, no sign of leakage...CPI? Ingnition Module? I'm ready to drive it to the junkyard, but it only has 65K miles...
95 jimmy

Springfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 6, 2008

my jimmy runs great except it has an exhaust leak and spits and wneh it is just idleing will the exhaust leak cause a miss
SheetsM

Oakland, NJ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2008

I have a 1994 S10 Blazer with 4.3 Vortec. When extremely hot outside and driving for an hour, engine frequently bogs down or stalls without warning. It starts right back up. Sometimes runs fine, or it barely moves and won't get out of it's own way all the way home. Carbon clogging EGR, bad catalytic, faulty fuel pump, clogged filter, have all been ruled out. Engine light has come on with the problem here and there, but readings have been inconclusive. I've seen some posts that stated it happens when the tank is half-full or that the fuel is boiling. Has anyone nailed this problem yet?
Danny

Liberty Lake, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 8, 2008

Jose K9 wrote:
Please post to the forum.
I have a 1997 jimmy whith 115k miles on it,automatic,2wd,tbi,4.3 v6.
I turn the key ignition to the on position and there is not any sign of power on the instrument panel,the engine cranks but doesn't start,if I wait a few seconds,arroud 10,the instrument panel goes on and turn the key ignition to the start position and runs normaly,this goes on and on two or three times a week,any ideas?
Please reply to E-mail xe2isu@hotmail.com
Thanks!!!
I'm having the same problem with my Jimmy right now, did you ever get an answer on how to fix this problem? Please replay to dtreman@yahoo.com
nofuze

Toronto, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 17, 2008

Judged:

mark wrote:
99 jimmy wont go into four wheel drive lights just flash and it stays in two wheel drive.
I had the same thing happen on my '97. After replacing the push buttons (which did nothing)I replaced a vacuum switch on the transfer case which was a $30.00 part and easily accessible, but will cause the 4WD switching to become erratic if it becomes faulty. If the '99 is the same configuration as the '97, it is a very simple repair.
Danny

Liberty Lake, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Sep 30, 2008

I finally repaired the starting problem with my 97 Jimmy. This was when I would try to start the car and the instrument panel would not light up, the car would crank but not start. If the instrument panel did happen to light up the car would start no problem. I replaced the ignition switch and wiring harness and it runs great. The part is about $140.00 if you do it yourself. Its not that hard just time consuming because there are so many steps. Good luck
jason

Toledo, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 14, 2008

Im really hopeing some one can help... i have a 2000 chevy s-10 4x4 pickup with 130000mi, and i just replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor within past 500mi. I added a bottle of fuel system cleaner during the day, and it ran great all day. then i come home park it for 3hours and all this thing does is crank and it will not start. i just got done pulling all the plugs making sure they are still gapped properly put the old cap and rotor back on(didnt help so i put the new back on) and nothing seems to help... also when i pulled the plugs all of them were dry and had no smell of gasoline. HELP ME OUT ANYONE!!
Brandon

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 22, 2008

I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy 4x4 with the 4.3L Vortec, I took my truck to the shop to have a heater core put in,(four wheel drive worked) Too put my heater core in they took my dash out, after i got my truck back my four wheel drive wont work(the buttons wont light up or anything) What might be the problem? Very curious and wanting to get this problem fixed. Email me any answers at webb_brandon@hotmail.com
Terry

Franklin, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 28, 2008

Guido wrote:
I have a 95 GMC Jimmy that I just recently bought. I was told that when I bought it, it needed a fuel pump. It started and drove with no problem. Then later on in the day after driving it for 3 hours straight, it wouldn't start. The next day I came out and it started right up. It started no problem for about 2 days straight and then ended up doing the same thing. It just sits there and cranks. I replaced the fuel pump, and it ran and started fine. But two days later it wouldn't start, just cranks and cranks. I can't hear the fuel pump turning on either. It is only 2 days old. SO I have trouble believing that it went bad already. Any answers on what I can do to get it started??
there are many things that give no pressure at the pump , several things can go wrong that actually turn off a good working fuel pump,
then there is a fuel pressure regulator that keeps the pressure needed on the system, it going bad if not knowing how to check for it will make yoiu think you need a fuel pump, i once had a car that sat for years and three injectors stuck open and that efven lowered the fuel pressure,
a dirty fuel filter can cause no fuel pressure,
some of these i talk of are not 4.3 just so you dont get lost barking up the wrong tree,
i have even seen cars that sat and developed a bad fuel pressure relay switch, what that does is some will start and turn off after a few seconds and some will let you get down the road and turn off. but they almost always start up when you turn them off and back on again to only though do the same thing.
i recently took the fuse and relay box open on a caravan and changed the fuel pressure relay with another relay that was the same thing sitting right beside it and it stayed running , how ever keep in mind when you do that the part you put in its place , the place of the bad fuel relay even if its the ac compressor relay is as old as the fuel pump relay was and probably will not last long in its place for it is as old as the fuel relay that went bad.
if you hit a pot hole or have your car towed with one of them switchs in the trunk that shut the gas pump off in an accident , say the tow truck driver drops it a little to hard or the pot hole makes the car think its in a wreck and that switch turns off the fuel pressure , the average joe runs out and gets a fuel pump to only waste his time to later learn a pro has to help him at 80 bucks an hour.
that is just a few things i can think about , hope i helped someone out there expand there train of thought , have a great day folks and rem if you car gets you down walk away and on it over night.
jrz

Ballston Spa, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 29, 2008

Brandon wrote:
I have a 1996 GMC Jimmy 4x4 with the 4.3L Vortec, I took my truck to the shop to have a heater core put in,(four wheel drive worked) Too put my heater core in they took my dash out, after i got my truck back my four wheel drive wont work(the buttons wont light up or anything) What might be the problem? Very curious and wanting to get this problem fixed. Email me any answers at webb_brandon@hotmail.com
take your dash off and see if the 4x4 plug is pluged in thay probuly forgot to plug it back in
Help needed

Viimsi, Estonia

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 4, 2008

How to set `97 V6 Vortec motor timing and what have to be timing degree at idle?
Also what is correct firing order?
Thanks!
Mike

Bridgeport, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 5, 2008

I am having the similiar issue, I orginally thought that it was my fuel pump because it would not kick in also, I ordered the ignition switch, but was not sure it that it what the problem was, I was tracking it down to the little white cyclinder thing behind the switch thinking that was it, but nobody knew what that part was. So you are saying that when you replaced the switch(which in the box with about 15 wires plugged into it, thats what fixed it, also did you have to take the steering wheel off also.

Thanks for any help
Danny wrote:
I finally repaired the starting problem with my 97 Jimmy. This was when I would try to start the car and the instrument panel would not light up, the car would crank but not start. If the instrument panel did happen to light up the car would start no problem. I replaced the ignition switch and wiring harness and it runs great. The part is about $140.00 if you do it yourself. Its not that hard just time consuming because there are so many steps. Good luck
Danny

Coeur D Alene, ID

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 8, 2008

Mike wrote:
I am having the similiar issue, I orginally thought that it was my fuel pump because it would not kick in also, I ordered the ignition switch, but was not sure it that it what the problem was, I was tracking it down to the little white cyclinder thing behind the switch thinking that was it, but nobody knew what that part was. So you are saying that when you replaced the switch(which in the box with about 15 wires plugged into it, thats what fixed it, also did you have to take the steering wheel off also.
Thanks for any help
<quoted text>
Yes the problem was the ignition switch. The black box located under the key tumbler. I did not take off the steering wheel but I did remove all of the fuses to disable the airbag. You also have to take out the key tumbler to get the top steering column cover off. I'll check back on Monday to see if you have more questions.
jophus

Zanesfield, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 10, 2008

1997 s-10 blazer, 4.3 vortec cranks wont start unless i pour fuel down the throttle body, but dies as soon as i stop, have replaced fuel pump, filter, crank sensor, any help would be greatly appriciated.
MIke

Bridgeport, WV

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 18, 2008

Thanks for the information, I am going to try to tackle the task of replacing that this evening or tomorrow, when you got the part what did it look like, I was doing some research and the part that I ordered does not look like and AC Delco part that I found. The AC Delco part is ACD1498C. The part that I ordered does not have the place for the key. Also would you suggest a Haynes Manual to help with the repair. Seems like it will be a job to replace it. Also the latest is that it is now stuck in park and won't come out.

Thanks in advance
Danny wrote:
<quoted text>
Yes the problem was the ignition switch. The black box located under the key tumbler. I did not take off the steering wheel but I did remove all of the fuses to disable the airbag. You also have to take out the key tumbler to get the top steering column cover off. I'll check back on Monday to see if you have more questions.
Manuel Rosario

San Juan, Puerto Rico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2008

I have a GMC Jimmy 4WD 1997 (floor shifter). The PROBLEM the vehicle was stop for 6 months because a was in Irak. I return pot gasoline, new battery, change oil & filter and was running great just a little up and down of revolutions when I stop but in the last 6 days she is running and suddenly the engine stop the tachometer going to "0" in half to 1 minute you start again an she start normal and run for 15 to 30 minutes and again stop but taday she stop in the highway and don't start again. If sombody have some ideas PLEASE you can send a e-mail to: rosariomanuel@yahoo.com I live in Puerto Rico so NO snow or lower temp.
THANKS
david

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 26, 2008

97 Bravada ..no power is on when the key is put in the ignition!what might that be?
carol

Charlottetown, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Nov 29, 2008

i have a 1996 gmc jimmy and it woln t start we no it has to be either the fuel pump or pressure switch but not sure where it is located and a picture of the fuel pump would help ...if you can tell me about any of this it would be appreciated
Kyle

Coffeyville, KS

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Dec 1, 2008

who="jason"]Im really hopeing some one can help... i have a 2000 chevy s-10 4x4 pickup with 130000mi, and i just replace the plugs, wires, cap and rotor within past 500mi. I added a bottle of fuel system cleaner during the day, and it ran great all day. then i come home park it for 3hours and all this thing does is crank and it will not start. i just got done pulling all the plugs making sure they are still gapped properly put the old cap and rotor back on(didnt help so i put the new back on) and nothing seems to help... also when i pulled the plugs all of them were dry and had no smell of gasoline. HELP ME OUT ANYONE!!
I assume it had a rough idle or so if you decided to change plugs and wires or something to that affect.. my assumption from wat you told me is that it would be the fuel pump going out and the fuel system cleaner you put in it just finished the pump off.... ive seen fuel system cleaners do different things to different fuel pumps when thier on the verge of going out

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

General Motors Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Hiring Tue Stewa 1
GM 4t65e Transmission topix (Jun '11) Tue joe 5
how do u know wen ECU is bad Aug 24 tank 1
Do you want a car without power locks and witho... (Jan '10) Aug 23 ladydrell83 40
New UAW Forum SITE ! (Apr '09) Aug 21 Volkschatt 7
Background Check Aug 18 GMCFan 1
GM to build stamping plant for Lansing Grand Ri... Aug 14 ARMOR LOCK 1
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••

General Motors People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••