Power out in York County

Power out in York County

There are 57 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Jul 7, 2010, titled Power out in York County. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Widespread reports of power outages are being reported in York County now. York County 911 is reporting that parts of York, Lower Windsor Township, Springettsbury, West Manchester, Manchester and Dover townships are without power.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Chill Out-Follow Rules

York, PA

#51 Jul 8, 2010
...while driving home, most fellow drivers were not following the rules of treating the signaled intersections like four-way stop signs.(refer to PA driver's manual) People were acting like idiots and honking their horns. I would rather take my time and be cautious at these intersections and get home without an accident. Come on people, be a little patient and careful... It would be even more frustrating to be in a pile-up, in the heat, dealing with a wrecked car (or possible injury)!
DR-D

Reading, PA

#53 Jul 8, 2010
File PUC complaints.
Join a class action lawsuit.
They can't provide power the first time we hit 100?
That's bull$hit.
Frank

Dover, PA

#54 Jul 8, 2010
Turn every air on and set it for 65 degrees, maybe med-ed will blow up, they are crooks anyway.
some people are a wonder

Westminster, MD

#55 Jul 8, 2010
FOREVER NOISE wrote:
i think med ed should have been ready for the worst on a day like today how are they going to make this up to their customers because we he popl was with out lights for as long as 3 or more hours are they going to credit our bill for this
Are they going to credit your bill you haven't gotten yet for the power that wasn't on for the three hours that you didn't use it and therefore you won't be charged for?

I'm guessing probably not.

How are they going to make this up to their customers?

By guaranteeing it will be much colder about six months from now.
Just_Me

United States

#56 Jul 8, 2010
too droll to troll wrote:
<quoted text>You probably think electricity was discovered by RediKilowatt
Funny!!

Be careful though. You're showing your age...:)

I didn't have too much trouble dealing with the power outage, myself. I just sat in a quiet house, listening to the ticking sounds of my Felix the Cat clock.
The Lager Lad

Watervliet, NY

#57 Jul 8, 2010
Shut first energy down wrote:
What gives them the right to turn the power off to people that pay their bills on time. People need to stand up for their rights and stop acting like sheep.
Dude, I don't know what Met Ed, or First Energy, or whatever did to you, but you realize that sometimes $hit happens.

An excessively hot day causes an overload to the system, that was already stressed because of a fire.

Everyone was cranking up their A/C, and I'm sure it sucked having to endure the blackout, but by having the rolling blackout, it caused everyone to endure a little pain, rather than a specific group of people to endure all the pain.
rickewag

Red Lion, PA

#59 Jul 8, 2010
some people are a wonder wrote:
<quoted text>
Are they going to credit your bill you haven't gotten yet for the power that wasn't on for the three hours that you didn't use it and therefore you won't be charged for?
I'm guessing probably not.
How are they going to make this up to their customers?
By guaranteeing it will be much colder about six months from now.
C'mon "wonder"--think about it. If you don't have power, your meter stops running. Therefore you are not charged for it. Why would you get a credit for it if you aren't using electricity? There is nothing to make up. Your meter isn't running-you are not charged for it-simple.
No sympathy

Rockville, MD

#60 Jul 8, 2010
<quoted text>
Actually I wish Tesla would have been the way they went. His method of providing electric would have been with no wires. Wireless power. Maybe if you would watch Modern Marvels on the history channel you would have know. Basically a lot of people are just sheep. They just let rich people walk all over them. Remember that pinhead from Germany that runs BP and how he was talking about the "Little People?" If you really want to hear something good go to Youtube and type in the blank George Carlin American Dream. And wake up!!
Lol, you do know that Tesla's idea was to have gigantic "Tesla Coils" (those big shiny globes you touch in science class that make your hair stand on end) positioned all over the planet, generating enormous charges to power electrical devices. Not only was a completely inefficient and uncontrolled way to provide power, it was also a GALACTIC health hazzard. Imagine playing golf with the air charge to a few million volts. You'd be fried where you stood by a man-made lightning strike.
And forget about radio or television, the disturbance these coild would cause would make it impossible to receive signals.
some people are a wonder

Westminster, MD

#61 Jul 8, 2010
rickewag wrote:
<quoted text>
C'mon "wonder"--think about it. If you don't have power, your meter stops running. Therefore you are not charged for it. Why would you get a credit for it if you aren't using electricity? There is nothing to make up. Your meter isn't running-you are not charged for it-simple.
Gee, no chit Cherlock.

My post was in response to FOREVER NOISE's post (#45) in which FOREVER NOISE asked "are they going to make this up to their customers" and "are they going to credit our bill for this".

I answered with the same information you posted (only you posted it an hour after I did): that the power wasn't on, so they couldn't use any electricity, so the meter wasn't running, so they wouldn't get billed for power they didn't have and never used. As a result, FOREVER NOISE would be extremely unlikely to get a "credit".

First, read. Then, with any luck, comprehend. Only after gaining comprehension, post.
Sunshine

Westminster, MD

#62 Jul 8, 2010
Frank wrote:
Turn every air on and set it for 65 degrees, maybe med-ed will blow up, they are crooks anyway.
So, Frank, you're solution is to make sure that Met-Ed/First Energy blows up. I'm thinking if that happens, then we'll definitely be without power. What would we have gained by that?

Just a thought that maybe we should all relax a little bit and realize this kind of stuff could potentially happen. This honestly is not too different than when the power goes out during an ice storm, or a thunderstorm. Yes, we all were uncomfortable because of the heat. I get that. I also understand that it would have been nice to have a warning for the "rolling blackouts". Shame on Met-Ed for not notifying people so alternate arrangements could be made. Unfortunately, though, it's nothing we really could control.

So, my suggestion is to not blow up Met-Ed, and for those who need electricity for medical reasons (or anything else for that matter)- have a back up plan ready to go.
Shut first energy down

York, PA

#63 Jul 8, 2010
The Lager Lad wrote:
<quoted text>
Dude, I don't know what Met Ed, or First Energy, or whatever did to you, but you realize that sometimes $hit happens.
An excessively hot day causes an overload to the system, that was already stressed because of a fire.
Everyone was cranking up their A/C, and I'm sure it sucked having to endure the blackout, but by having the rolling blackout, it caused everyone to endure a little pain, rather than a specific group of people to endure all the pain.
Aren't these the pinheads that caused the meltdown or whatever it was at 3 mile island in 1979? These morons couldn't read the boards that said there were problems with the cooling of the systems. Instead of messing around like these morons are doing today. They should be upgrading. I wonder if this is the same substation that had a transformer fire last month? They should be forced to upgrade. Another thing the gas companies are replacing lines as are the water company. I feel it's time for met-ed to start replacing it's wiring with REAL wire. You know wire with insulation on it. Come on people this is 2010. If you had wires touching each other you wouldn't have problems with acring would you.
RAH

York, PA

#64 Jul 8, 2010
janella wrote:
I just don't understand why Met-Ed didn't inform people when and where there would be rolling black outs as they re-routed the power. A small gesture that would have gone a long way, especially for those who may have got stuck in traffic who could have postponed their trips, or those with medical conditions who may have been able to go somewhere else until their power was restored. Ridiculous!
I AGREE.. not sure what those that judged you NUTS were thinking,.....there has already been more today Thursday!!!(Expected heat of 95 today) I agree with your comment and you make a very WISE statement! ADVISE through broadcasting notices,....the weather service does? Maybe we're just simple????
Hellcat

York, PA

#65 Jul 8, 2010
Just another reason to start burying power lines: no crossbars to break and wooden poles to catch fire with wires underground. Underground wires do not blow down in wind storms, they do not get pulled down by the weight of snow or tree limbs, they are not dropped by vehicle accidents hitting poles. The communication companies got smart a while back and started burying their cables, but the power companies seem to have missed the memo. These are nice practical BUSINESS reasons to bury the cables, then of course there are the issues with high intensity electro-magnetic fields near high voltage lines like the one that started the whole power failure cascade yesterday. Bury the wires.
Bill

York, PA

#66 Jul 8, 2010
<quoted text>
Aren't these the pinheads that caused the meltdown or whatever it was at 3 mile island in 1979? These morons couldn't read the boards that said there were problems with the cooling of the systems. Instead of messing around like these morons are doing today. They should be upgrading. I wonder if this is the same substation that had a transformer fire last month? They should be forced to upgrade. Another thing the gas companies are replacing lines as are the water company. I feel it's time for met-ed to start replacing it's wiring with REAL wire. You know wire with insulation on it. Come on people this is 2010. If you had wires touching each other you wouldn't have problems with acring would you.
1. If you hate First energy and Met-Ed so much why don't you go off the grid and install solar panels that way you wouldn't need them and you woulnd't have to worry about power failures.

2. They don't put insulation around the Super High Voltage wires for a reason. 1. It helps keep them cool and 2. IF tehy were insulated it would melt the insulation off or over heat the wires and they would melt.

This is for Hellcat.
They can't burry the Super High VOltage lines for the reasons I mentioned above.
lying fools

United States

#67 Jul 8, 2010
Why should we get rolling blackouts when York sits between two nuclear facilities, go figure.
Wesley T

United States

#68 Jul 8, 2010
Met-Ed fired me for no reason!
Hellcat

York, PA

#69 Jul 8, 2010
Bill, you need to do some research. Since 1990 or so XLPE is the insulator used for underground high voltage transmission lines. The main reason the power companies do not use them is cost: $10 per linear foot for above ground, $20-$40 per linear foot for underground. Other advantages of going underground include MUCH smaller right-of-ways for power lines: 3-30' wide instead of 60 to 600 feet of right of way. As land costs rise and eminent domain restrictions grow, the land usage aspect of overhead high voltage is going to become a major factor.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glatfelter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News After embezzlement case, York County tightens m... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Christian mafia 1
News County employee who embezzled $347K must go to ... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Distrust of Gover... 13
News Inmates nationwide go to court proceedings via ... (May '11) May '11 Jennifer from the... 6
News House Democrats to hold Marcellus Shale hearing... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Voice of Truth 3
News More than 100 -- so far -- help with Codorus cl... (Apr '11) Apr '11 A Brain in York 1
News George H. Glatfelter resigns as chairman of Gla... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Who Cares 1
News April 26 Rootenanny concert to benefit local gr... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Mark DeRose 1
More from around the web