York's hog -- Harley-Davidson -- keep...

York's hog -- Harley-Davidson -- keeps getting slimmer

There are 37 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Nov 22, 2009, titled York's hog -- Harley-Davidson -- keeps getting slimmer. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Toby Reigart, a Harley worker, checked out a recent job fair in York Township because he wanted to investigate other options in case the motorcycle maker moved its plant to Kentucky.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hda

East Berlin, PA

#23 Nov 23, 2009
from a real American wrote:
<quoted text>Spoken like a true American. No wonder other countries think we are a joke and our government and businesses aren't loyal to our working men and women and country. The bashing, hate and ignorance of some fellow Americans makes me want to puke. You are disgusting.
Yet the wonder why there isnt any godd manufacturing jobs left in the US.
from a real American

Felton, PA

#24 Nov 23, 2009
hda wrote:
<quoted text>Yet the wonder why there isnt any godd manufacturing jobs left in the US.
You got it right. And all these bashers seem to never think of the fact it can happen to them. What will happen someday when there are no borders and our country is totally owned by other countries through our factories and business leaving and supplying the cheap labor to downgrade our standard of living in acivilized society. We will then be a 3rd world country and the big businesses will be enjoying the profits living like kings off the land. Let them "eat cake ." will be the colloquell as we go down.
Out on a limb

Wilmington, DE

#25 Nov 23, 2009
Wyndham Hills...

You want to get there, learn how to spell it.

Personally, you couldn't pay me to live there.
my only complaint

Newmanstown, PA

#26 Nov 23, 2009
Why should Harley be allowed to bring in a casual work force while current employees are laid off?

If there were no employees on lay off, I would have no problem with a casual work force being hired to help out.
Richard Noggin

Mechanicsburg, PA

#27 Nov 23, 2009
Your all such morons! picking each other apart. You can't see the forest for the trees and your all to ignorant to wanna know the truth. How do you morons remeber to breath ever couple seconds?
x employee

Mohrsville, PA

#28 Nov 23, 2009
John Kellet wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you 100% 8 years at State for my MBA. Then 6 in the navy. Now I make less than a harley worker??? I will be in Windham Hills myself.
Thanks for the honest and open comment.
maybe until your desk job goes to India. dont get to confident. Companys are always finding new ways to make sure your jobs are outsourced to the lowest bidder.
x employee

Mohrsville, PA

#29 Nov 23, 2009
FattyMcButter Pants wrote:
Japanese workers building, Japanese bikes can work circles around the lazy, American, Harley worker....... for half the price. Your days a
re numbered Harley. I hear Rutters is hiring......of course that is non-union.
your a smart guy. then why dont you move to china then? Your just mad,H-D didnt hire you or you failed the YES program. jap riding idiot!
Sux to be a Harley worker

Lanham, MD

#30 Nov 23, 2009
Wow, I'm seeing the love from many on this subject. Can't see how Rendell will give [email protected] Harley concessions to stick around, let them go down south. Harley workers need a taste of what everyone in Detroit just went through. Same things happen all over the place during recessions, adapt and overcome and quit whining. Your union helped this one along just like GM.
hdworker

Mount Wolf, PA

#31 Nov 23, 2009
dont bash hdworkers been there 10 yrs dont play the system not all r lazy never used occurances so im getting shafted cant call in sick and i have saved up sick days
Class warfare problem

Clifton Park, NY

#32 Nov 23, 2009
my only complaint wrote:
Why should Harley be allowed to bring in a casual work force while current employees are laid off? If there were no employees on lay off, I would have no problem with a casual work force being hired to help out.
This shows part of the problem: "Why should Harley be allowed to ...." Very simple: IT'S THEIR COMPANY.
Who is "they"? The stockholders, you and me. We elect the Bd of Directors who charts the course of the company, via their CEO. H-D loses $, so H-D downsizes like every other company in similar situations.
Lori lost Ha Ha

Philadelphia, PA

#33 Nov 23, 2009
x employee wrote:
<quoted text>
your a smart guy. then why dont you move to china then? Your just mad,H-D didnt hire you or you failed the YES program. jap riding idiot!
Why is it that every Harley poster here thinks we are jealous of their position? I personally do not want someone I do not know dictating my work life for me. I have the ability to think and speak for myself. Why should I have to pay some clown to do it for me?
Yeah, I would be real jealous if the clowns I have been paying have been successful in talking me out of a job. Look at your last strike. How many months/years do you have to work to actually make any headway on earnings? You went without pay for how long? How much of a pay increase did you get? That equates to how many hours of work to recover the loses from your time off?
mailman

Summerville, SC

#34 Nov 23, 2009
Well, I think you Harley Workers rock. I love riding my 2007 softail FXST and it runs excellent. You guys truly make a good product and should be proud. You earn the salaries you get and guess what the dude with the MBA thats makes less than you is a real tool. It sounds like the MBA dude should sue his guidance counselor or get off his lazy but and get a second job. Well Good luck Harley Workers and to the "edumicated" people Whaaaa Whaaaa Whaaaa
many Harley Workers

Felton, PA

#35 Nov 23, 2009
mailman wrote:
Well, I think you Harley Workers rock. I love riding my 2007 softail FXST and it runs excellent. You guys truly make a good product and should be proud. You earn the salaries you get and guess what the dude with the MBA thats makes less than you is a real tool. It sounds like the MBA dude should sue his guidance counselor or get off his lazy but and get a second job. Well Good luck Harley Workers and to the "edumicated" people Whaaaa Whaaaa Whaaaa
Thank You. Thanks for appreciating our the art of our work. Ride on.
don t think CWP is right

Felton, PA

#36 Nov 23, 2009
my only complaint wrote:
Why should Harley be allowed to bring in a casual work force while current employees are laid off?
If there were no employees on lay off, I would have no problem with a casual work force being hired to help out.
Class Warfare wrote "because it is their company." Wrong answer. If it is possible to get information from the labor Board on this subject I believe it would be considered unfair labor practices and there for against the law and possibly a lawsuit.
my only complaint

Newmanstown, PA

#37 Nov 24, 2009
My point is if the company has work & they need employees to do that work and they have people laid off that are HD employees, they should be working filling those jobs.
If all current employees are in a job at HD & the company need to recruit new employees then I have no problem with them using a casual work force.
What HD wants to do is lay off workers they have work for & then fill the laid off positions with a casual work force. That to me is not right!
how I see it

Felton, PA

#38 Nov 24, 2009
my only complaint wrote:
My point is if the company has work & they need employees to do that work and they have people laid off that are HD employees, they should be working filling those jobs.
If all current employees are in a job at HD & the company need to recruit new employees then I have no problem with them using a casual work force.
What HD wants to do is lay off workers they have work for & then fill the laid off positions with a casual work force. That to me is not right!
But the Union heads agreed to it and then presented the contract if I am right .
daithens mirror

Lebanon, PA

#39 Nov 24, 2009
how I see it wrote:
<quoted text>But the Union heads agreed to it and then presented the contract if I am right .
Thats the differance between signing the checks and cashing them. You all should be proud of your union leaders.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glatfelter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News After embezzlement case, York County tightens m... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Christian mafia 1
News County employee who embezzled $347K must go to ... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Distrust of Gover... 13
News Inmates nationwide go to court proceedings via ... (May '11) May '11 Jennifer from the... 6
News House Democrats to hold Marcellus Shale hearing... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Voice of Truth 3
News More than 100 -- so far -- help with Codorus cl... (Apr '11) Apr '11 A Brain in York 1
News George H. Glatfelter resigns as chairman of Gla... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Who Cares 1
News April 26 Rootenanny concert to benefit local gr... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Mark DeRose 1
More from around the web