York's hog -- Harley-Davidson -- keep...

York's hog -- Harley-Davidson -- keeps getting slimmer

There are 37 comments on the The York Daily Record story from Nov 22, 2009, titled York's hog -- Harley-Davidson -- keeps getting slimmer. In it, The York Daily Record reports that:

Toby Reigart, a Harley worker, checked out a recent job fair in York Township because he wanted to investigate other options in case the motorcycle maker moved its plant to Kentucky.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at The York Daily Record.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Out on a limb

Philadelphia, PA

#2 Nov 22, 2009
Article lays out valid points.

At least if Harley stays, York's tourism will be happy.

And we can actually say they were the ONE company that stayed in York county and didn't abandon the area like Caterpillar and others.

A Triumph, oh, I mean Harley!
Mark

Middletown, PA

#3 Nov 22, 2009
I hear everyone bickering about Harley- like they are at fault. Remember they only sell what people buy. Since the recession nobody has any money to buy luxury items such as a $15,000.00 motorcycle. WHat do you expect them to do. If they kept producing the same amount of bikes and the amount of payroll they had 4 years ago they would be COMPLETELY out of business in less than 24 months!

A little bit of something is better than alot of nothing!

Harley Workers: I heard Giant Foods is hiring! Maybe you can unload trucks at Wal-Mart...

Trade in your black leather vest for a blue polyester smock!
lol
what a shame

Felton, PA

#5 Nov 22, 2009
Well many of the Harley bashers got what they wanted. Now York and our State will pay the price. Such a shame for a backwoods mentality to push negativity in our bad times let alone decimating their own area of where they live, work and raise their families off of the taxes and consumer spending of mostly the Harley employees. Such fools.
If the people of this area would have been more supportive of the Harley employees with Harley keeping the plant thriving and in York Harley Company may have felt welcome and appreciated revenue wise to care enough about empolyment and pride to stay in York . Do not think the negativity and bashing effect did not aide in the decison to down size and possibly eventually leave. Why would an American Iconic Company want to stay where they are not welcome. The sate received $500 million dollars yearly from taxxes, tourism, consume spending,and charitable donations among funding towards sponsoring educational programs in our schools. Asone of the sponsors of our Sovereign Stadium, Saturday in The Park at Springetttsbury, Springettsbury Summer Sounds Concerts, Toys for Tots program, Educational mentoring programs, Big Brother Big Sister program, moneies for the United Way, Red Cross , many , many more charitable and donating affairs will begone as income towards our community . Consumer spending and taxes will need to rise to compensate. Geez. I guess the old adage "Be carefuol what you wish for", has come true. Yes this attitude did contribute to their leaving as much as you the Company's greed and those employees who wanted to give an honest daays work for an honest and good pay day. What a shame and sad day for those many in York who appreciate Harley's giving and tose employees who worked and work hard and appreciate agood hourly wage.
Out on a limb

Philadelphia, PA

#6 Nov 22, 2009
There are a lot of us out here who want Harley to stay and wish the workers well. I hope those that are retained appreciate what they have and those that aren't are able to find other work.
Former American Icon

Gadsden, AL

#7 Nov 22, 2009
Harley outsourced York's wiring harness department to Mexico several years ago and they haven't looked back since. The plant will be down from 3,100 full time positions to 700 in just a few years. The recent outsourcing of plating and fabrication operations out of York will also devastate many other local businesses that currently feed Harley parts to be plated here. There is no way Governor Ed Rendell should be extorted into giving Harley $20M in tax payer money to save 700 assembly jobs when hundreds of thousands are out of work all across the state. Email the Governor's Office and tell them not to give Harley one dime of your money. Here is the link... http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Governor/gov...
H-D hiring temp workforce

Philadelphia, PA

#8 Nov 22, 2009
Casual Employees are defined as temporary employees hired to perform Bargaining Unit Work. Harley-Davidson can have as many as 30% of the work force be Casual Employees on the new contract. Casual Empoyees will not accrue seniority and will not be guarenteed shifts or minimum number of hours. They will receive no paid time off and will be excluded from all hourly retirement and benefit plans. The starting rate for a casual employee is $16.75 an hour. The Company makes no commitment to hire Casual Employees, either as Casual Employees or, ultimately, as regular employees. Casual Employees will be considered if the Company hires regular employees. Casual Employees may be terminated without cause.
So if you are willing to work for the next 7 years at the same hourly wage, without benefits, without a guaranteed shift, without being guarenteed at least 40 hours per week, and without any job security at all. You may be considered for full time employment. Does that sound competitve in this job market? For most (if not all) people this will be the only way they will be able to become a regular employee with Harley-Davidson. This is in the contract, but I haven't seen it in the news or in the papers.
fred

Jackson, MI

#9 Nov 22, 2009
talk reality!! Harley employees were way over paid , above everybody in benefits. You kept getting greedy!! During the last strike you wanted some of the profits!! now ya say its not my fault.. Look around- can somebody do it for less money? yes It happens everyday with other people in other jobs! If i owned the company i would replace alot of them because its business! The share holders and management are not their for you to make alot of money. They only give you a job!
Out on a limb

Philadelphia, PA

#10 Nov 22, 2009
I'm trying to make sense of all the negativity. If Harley workers are so unhappy with the contract or proposed working conditons which requires them to possibly learn how to do several jobs so that Harley can maximize its manpower, they should maybe take a tour of other local factories and discover how most peoole work. What is wrong with this picture?

In my youth I worked in a sewing factory where I was moved around and had to learn different skills (this is when I had never sewn anything in my previous life and haven't much since-)and also worked 2nd shift in an ice cream factory, where I moved around from ice cream making machines and channeled I LOVE LUCY in the candy factory. Those jobs were summer jobs which gave me the means to help work my way thru school, but they were a work experience teaching me that being flexible makes the day go faster and also makes you more employable.

The negative comments from Harley workers who may keep their jobs reminds me of a spoiled child who is suddenly sulking because he or she has suddenly got to scale back on their expectations because the economy isn't what it used to be and Santa has a smaller toy bag.

Give thanks for what you have and for what you may still keep, if it goes the other way, be flexible and ready to adapt. That's survival.
hda

East Berlin, PA

#11 Nov 22, 2009
Out on a limb wrote:
I'm trying to make sense of all the negativity. If Harley workers are so unhappy with the contract or proposed working conditons which requires them to possibly learn how to do several jobs so that Harley can maximize its manpower, they should maybe take a tour of other local factories and discover how most peoole work. What is wrong with this picture?
In my youth I worked in a sewing factory where I was moved around and had to learn different skills (this is when I had never sewn anything in my previous life and haven't much since-)and also worked 2nd shift in an ice cream factory, where I moved around from ice cream making machines and channeled I LOVE LUCY in the candy factory. Those jobs were summer jobs which gave me the means to help work my way thru school, but they were a work experience teaching me that being flexible makes the day go faster and also makes you more employable.
The negative comments from Harley workers who may keep their jobs reminds me of a spoiled child who is suddenly sulking because he or she has suddenly got to scale back on their expectations because the economy isn't what it used to be and Santa has a smaller toy bag.
Give thanks for what you have and for what you may still keep, if it goes the other way, be flexible and ready to adapt. That's survival.
You hear comments from less then 10 people and you want to judge almost 2000. Tell me you have never worked with some who complained about a job you didnt have a problem with.
Out on a limb

Philadelphia, PA

#12 Nov 22, 2009
hda wrote:
<quoted text>You hear comments from less then 10 people and you want to judge almost 2000. Tell me you have never worked with some who complained about a job you didnt have a problem with.
You got me there- I can't. There are complainers in every line of work I've been in, and that involves factories, retail, real estate sales, education and business.

If I haven't been happy with a situation, I've made changes. If it's not fun, I'm not happy.
Tired

AOL

#13 Nov 22, 2009
How many people actually love their job and don't view it as doing my 8 hours and going home? I am happy and thankful for my 12 years at Harley. It was through contract negotiations that raised my wages from $14.65 when I started to $23.37. Let's see that's about a .75cent raise a year. I do believe that is well below the rate of increase of cost of living over the last 12 years. So to all you that call me greedy, kiss my south end.
Shameful Union you mean

Philadelphia, PA

#14 Nov 22, 2009
what a shame wrote:
Well many of the Harley bashers got what they wanted. Now York and our State will pay the price. Such a shame for a backwoods mentality to push negativity in our bad times let alone decimating their own area of where they live, work and raise their families off of the taxes and consumer spending of mostly the Harley employees. Such fools.
If the people of this area would have been more supportive of the Harley employees with Harley keeping the plant thriving and in York Harley Company may have felt welcome and appreciated revenue wise to care enough about empolyment and pride to stay in York . Do not think the negativity and bashing effect did not aide in the decison to down size and possibly eventually leave. Why would an American Iconic Company want to stay where they are not welcome. The sate received $500 million dollars yearly from taxxes, tourism, consume spending,and charitable donations among funding towards sponsoring educational programs in our schools. Asone of the sponsors of our Sovereign Stadium, Saturday in The Park at Springetttsbury, Springettsbury Summer Sounds Concerts, Toys for Tots program, Educational mentoring programs, Big Brother Big Sister program, moneies for the United Way, Red Cross , many , many more charitable and donating affairs will begone as income towards our community . Consumer spending and taxes will need to rise to compensate. Geez. I guess the old adage "Be carefuol what you wish for", has come true. Yes this attitude did contribute to their leaving as much as you the Company's greed and those employees who wanted to give an honest daays work for an honest and good pay day. What a shame and sad day for those many in York who appreciate Harley's giving and tose employees who worked and work hard and appreciate agood hourly wage.
Now the citizens of YORK COUNTY are at fault. Never heard Harley mention that. Harley always gave to the citizens of the county and never complained. Harley is considerably fed up with the crud ball union folks though.
Your quote: ".....work and raise their families off of the taxes and consumer spending of (((((mostly))))) the Harley employees. Such fools." Speaking of fools, what it the total population of the work force of York County? Even with Harley "outsourcing", yea, MOSTLY Harley employees. CAT departed, not because of the PEOPLE of York County, but because of employee greed. York County was to shut down completely when they left town; still here. See you all in Pennsyltucky. For once this word DOES have meaning.
Frenchy

York, PA

#15 Nov 22, 2009
Tired wrote:
How many people actually love their job and don't view it as doing my 8 hours and going home? I am happy and thankful for my 12 years at Harley. It was through contract negotiations that raised my wages from $14.65 when I started to $23.37. Let's see that's about a .75cent raise a year. I do believe that is well below the rate of increase of cost of living over the last 12 years. So to all you that call me greedy, kiss my south end.
I will kiss your south end if you can get someone to wash my truck!!!
onlyaged

Tuscaloosa, AL

#16 Nov 22, 2009
You probably only have a h.s. education and think you "deserve" it...meanwhile us who put ourselves through college, worked hard, started at a low wage and took a lot longer than you who did nothing except tighten screws. Not the table turn towards us once again showing that education is the key...while you are sitting home wondering how to pay your bills...we are just one step closer to Windham Hills...because we didn't EXPECT anything or say we deserved it...we WORKED (and continue to) to achieve greatness...unlike Harley workers who let the union whine for them. Let them leave the area....we don't need all the fat people and disgusting restaurants anyways.
Tired wrote:
John Kellet

Hershey, PA

#17 Nov 22, 2009
onlyaged wrote:
You probably only have a h.s. education and think you "deserve" it...meanwhile us who put ourselves through college, worked hard, started at a low wage and took a lot longer than you who did nothing except tighten screws. Not the table turn towards us once again showing that education is the key...while you are sitting home wondering how to pay your bills...we are just one step closer to Windham Hills...because we didn't EXPECT anything or say we deserved it...we WORKED (and continue to) to achieve greatness...unlike Harley workers who let the union whine for them. Let them leave the area....we don't need all the fat people and disgusting restaurants anyways.
<quoted text>
I agree with you 100% 8 years at State for my MBA. Then 6 in the navy. Now I make less than a harley worker??? I will be in Windham Hills myself.
Thanks for the honest and open comment.
Frenchy

York, PA

#18 Nov 22, 2009
onlyaged wrote:
<quoted text>
Well GOOD FOR YOU!!! you go to windam hills you will just be an A-HOLE in an over priced hunk of lumber. I'm sure there will be homes up for sale on the hill too when there are no more jobs left in the county to support your well educated job, what comes areound go's around. But there will always be a bolt that needs turned.
Frenchy

York, PA

#19 Nov 22, 2009
onlyaged wrote:
<quoted text>
Well GOOD FOR YOU!! When you get to Windam hills you will just be an A-HOLE in an over priced hunk of lumber. Remember what comes around go's around, when there are no jobs left in the county to support your well educated job i'm sure you will be able to find a buyer for that fancy house. but there will always be a bolt needing tightened!
Frenchy

York, PA

#20 Nov 22, 2009
John Kellet wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree with you 100% 8 years at State for my MBA. Then 6 in the navy. Now I make less than a harley worker??? I will be in Windham Hills myself.
Thanks for the honest and open comment.
Wow an MBA and you make less than I do??? sounds like you made the wrong decision early in your life!!! Maybe someone should have taught you to tighten bolts!!!!!
FattyMcButter Pants

Cincinnati, OH

#21 Nov 23, 2009
Japanese workers building, Japanese bikes can work circles around the lazy, American, Harley worker....... for half the price. Your days are numbered Harley. I hear Rutters is hiring......of course that is non-union.
from a real American

Felton, PA

#22 Nov 23, 2009
FattyMcButter Pants wrote:
Japanese workers building, Japanese bikes can work circles around the lazy, American, Harley worker....... for half the price. Your days are numbered Harley. I hear Rutters is hiring......of course that is non-union.
Spoken like a true American. No wonder other countries think we are a joke and our government and businesses aren't loyal to our working men and women and country. The bashing, hate and ignorance of some fellow Americans makes me want to puke. You are disgusting.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Glatfelter Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News After embezzlement case, York County tightens m... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Christian mafia 1
News County employee who embezzled $347K must go to ... (Jun '11) Jun '11 Distrust of Gover... 13
News Inmates nationwide go to court proceedings via ... (May '11) May '11 Jennifer from the... 6
News House Democrats to hold Marcellus Shale hearing... (Apr '11) Apr '11 Voice of Truth 3
News More than 100 -- so far -- help with Codorus cl... (Apr '11) Apr '11 A Brain in York 1
News George H. Glatfelter resigns as chairman of Gla... (Mar '11) Mar '11 Who Cares 1
News April 26 Rootenanny concert to benefit local gr... (Feb '11) Feb '11 Mark DeRose 1
More from around the web