General Electric Pursues Spinoff, Sale of Consumer & Industrial Division

Jul 10, 2008 | Posted by: roboblogger | Full story: Bloomberg

General Electric Co. , two months after placing its century-old appliance unit on the block, said it plans to spin off its entire GE Consumer & Industrial group to shareholders as Chief Executive Officer ...

Comments (Page 224)

Showing posts 4,461 - 4,480 of5,443
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:

Since: Jan 09

Warren, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

clueless wrote:
Said that they could make it for less in Kentucky. Is this product going to replace the products made at OHIO LAMP now ? Wonder what Kentucky gave G.E. to receive this product....
http://www.tribtoday.com/page/content.detail/...

Warren, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

clueless wrote:
Said that they could make it for less in Kentucky. Is this product going to replace the products made at OHIO LAMP now ? Wonder what Kentucky gave G.E. to receive this product....
Lexington's wage structure made it more competitive.
RLP Retiree

Tallmadge, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

Judged:

It's that damned union mentality at Ohio Lamp that has the plant doomed. They will never get another new product in that plant.

Since: Mar 09

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

Judged:

RLP Retiree wrote:
It's that damned union mentality at Ohio Lamp that has the plant doomed. They will never get another new product in that plant.
Strange, but the article said both locations were represented by the Union.
Ky lamper

Lexington, KY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 19, 2011

I heard that OH Lamp and Lexington Lamp plant each got part of the work.
lampgirl

Warren, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2011

Judged:

RLP Retiree wrote:
BULLSHIT!!! The"union mentality" is what has got you most of your pay & benefits! It always amazes me when someone from a non-union plant has benefited from a union member that has walked the picket line so that EVERYONE can prosper, & then the non union people knock them!

Kentucky offered a plan that appeared better to GE. RLP is non union, yet most of it's product went to Hungary? Explain that?!?!
Thomas Scutillo ohio

Mishawaka, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2011

Judged:

huh? what? huh? walked the picket line? NO MONEY IN THAT! LINE
wowser

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 20, 2011

Judged:

Unions do not have a lot of clout these days. It is not their fault either, it is just the sign of the times. We live in the era where factory/manufacturing jobs, with good pay and benefits are very scarce and companies know it. Make too many complaints and demands and they ship your job to another country. They have the power and know how to use it too. It is just "sad".
Workers just have to take the crumbs the companies throw them, and be thankful they are still employed.

I bet the plant this project went to is worth investing in. Meaning the building it's self and area. I hear the the Warren plant is a very old building. Does not make sense to invest 10 mil. in something old. I feel bad for the employees who work there. Seems like this project was their last hope of getting something going there. Hope things work out.
RLP Retiree

Tallmadge, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2011

Judged:

wowser wrote:
Unions do not have a lot of clout these days. It is not their fault either, it is just the sign of the times. We live in the era where factory/manufacturing jobs, with good pay and benefits are very scarce and companies know it. Make too many complaints and demands and they ship your job to another country. They have the power and know how to use it too. It is just "sad".
Workers just have to take the crumbs the companies throw them, and be thankful they are still employed.
I bet the plant this project went to is worth investing in. Meaning the building it's self and area. I hear the the Warren plant is a very old building. Does not make sense to invest 10 mil. in something old. I feel bad for the employees who work there. Seems like this project was their last hope of getting something going there. Hope things work out.
The area of Youngstown & Warren in Northeast Ohio is called the Mahoning Valley. It has long been a bastion of union mentality and Democratic union support. At one time back in the 1960's there were over 3,000 GE employees there with six GE Lighting Plants. Now they are down to just Ohio Lamp & it's few employees, and not very many of them left. The job losses in that area have been very high because businesses run away from union mentality areas. Just look at Detroit, Cleveland, or Buffalo for other examples of massive job losses because of union mentality.

Kentucky does not have that union mentality even though they are union, the good old boys' employees are willing to work with management for lowest cost labor, and it didn't hurt the State of KY kicked in $600,000 for GE tax breaks against the project. Ohio Lamp will be closed down within 3 years - guaranteed as will non-union Ravenna Lamp because both have labor costs out of control.
clueless

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 22, 2011

Judged:

RLP Retiree wrote:
<quoted text>
The area of Youngstown & Warren in Northeast Ohio is called the Mahoning Valley. It has long been a bastion of union mentality and Democratic union support. At one time back in the 1960's there were over 3,000 GE employees there with six GE Lighting Plants. Now they are down to just Ohio Lamp & it's few employees, and not very many of them left. The job losses in that area have been very high because businesses run away from union mentality areas. Just look at Detroit, Cleveland, or Buffalo for other examples of massive job losses because of union mentality.
Kentucky does not have that union mentality even though they are union, the good old boys' employees are willing to work with management for lowest cost labor, and it didn't hurt the State of KY kicked in $600,000 for GE tax breaks against the project. Ohio Lamp will be closed down within 3 years - guaranteed as will non-union Ravenna Lamp because both have labor costs out of control.
Do you think they will last 3 more years? I was thinking they would have maybe 1 more year left at the current cost they are having to pay for labor. How many employee's are left a RLP now ( maybe 100 or so )

Niles, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2011

Judged:

RLP Retiree wrote:
There was a silver theft at Ohio Lamp Plant last year of $1.5 Million. This has been happening for Many Years..not just in the newest silver room but in the older basement silvering department as well....SPOOLS not just small pieces have been stolen.
The statement made was:
Since your employees steal the silver...making your cost so high..The project is going to Lexington..
wowser

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 23, 2011

TallPaul wrote:
<quoted text>
There was a silver theft at Ohio Lamp Plant last year of $1.5 Million. This has been happening for Many Years..not just in the newest silver room but in the older basement silvering department as well....SPOOLS not just small pieces have been stolen.
The statement made was:
Since your employees steal the silver...making your cost so high..The project is going to Lexington..
====

1.5 mil stolen, wow, no wonder they did not get the project.
I hope the ones involved were caught. That puts everyones job there at risk. WOW!!!

Niles, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

wowser wrote:
<quoted text>
====
1.5 mil stolen, wow, no wonder they did not get the project.
I hope the ones involved were caught. That puts everyones job there at risk. WOW!!!
Noone has ever been caught...Law enforcement has been and still is involved....Scrap yards are on alert for spools of silver also
clueless

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 24, 2011

TallPaul wrote:
<quoted text>
Noone has ever been caught...Law enforcement has been and still is involved....Scrap yards are on alert for spools of silver also
They are waiting till the price goes up a little more. This is going to be their pension check.
lifer

Bedford, IN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

Sero list came out, looks like at least 38+ years of PBS to get one.
tired

Circleville, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

It's my understanding that each plant will receive so many of the 400 zeros that is available.
Thomas Scutillo

Stockton, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

no one steals silver all the money is in Platinum
OHIO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

Sounds like the author must not know about what GE is doing in Ohio. Scroll to the bottom of the article where it covers OH job growth in the photovoltaic industry in Toledo. I think these are just the opposite of Organic LEDs.

http://realestate.yahoo.com/promo/five-local-...
OHIO

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

And isn't Kent State Unv right in the heart of where GE Lighting began in the NE corner of OHIO.
wowser

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Aug 25, 2011

Thomas Scutillo wrote:
no one steals silver all the money is in Platinum
==========
They cashed in 1.5 mill. in silver. That is a good chunk of change. Silver, Platinum??? stealing silver added up to 1.5 mill for them. All the money being in platinum or not.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 4,461 - 4,480 of5,443
|
Go to last page| Jump to page:
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent General Electric Discussions

Search the General Electric Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
Federal agencies hit GE financial unit with mil... Jun 22 Philip Cohen 1
Ge Burlington Jun 20 lancelot 1
GE changing benefits for Retiree Spouses/Same S... (Oct '12) May '14 mary 19
Refrigerator model gsh25jfta cc May '14 Islander 90 1
GE Sale of Appliance Unit May Foreshadow More D... (May '08) Mar '14 Jaleh 2
View Press Release Feb '14 michaelclarke14 1
GE washer Feb '14 Patricia Johnson 1
•••
•••