FirstEnergy can acquire Allegheny Power

Full story: Public Opinion

FirstEnergy's acquisition of rival power company Allegheny Energy can go ahead in Pennsylvania.
Comments
21 - 28 of 28 Comments Last updated Feb 13, 2012
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
This is Important

Carlisle, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Help Yourself wrote:
<quoted text>
You can report your own meter reading either online or by phone, to prevent bad estimates. Instructions to do this are on the back of your bill, it is very easy. This will help them make better monthly estimates in the future. Normally they take an actual reading every month (shown in a black bar on your usage graphs). Estimated bills are a gray bar. Taking readings every other month saves them money. What saves them money, saves you the customer money.
They did take it every other month
which is fine with me. I am usually busy working or doing other thing so the date
is passed by before I know it. Save the customer money...who are you kidding.
Power up

Williamsport, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Judged:

This is Important wrote:
<quoted text>They did take it every other month
which is fine with me. I am usually busy working or doing other thing so the date
is passed by before I know it. Save the customer money...who are you kidding.
The pa. public utility commision only requires meters to be physically read once a year!
Yup, be glad they read it every couple of months! The good old days are gone,, get over it! It's now the age of BIG BUSINESS!!!

Bet you still want people to wash your windows and air up your tires when you fill up your gas tank!
saveabuck

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 26, 2011

Power up wrote:
<quoted text>
Sounds like your too lazy, read your own meter every month. Meter readers are becoming a thing of the past. With smart meters the power companies will be able to read your meters on a daily basis, now when they ar being tampered with, know when your power is off and most importantly, be able to bill you on a variable rate! Yes, rates will be higher during the day and lower at night. Get ready for that, First energy is planning a huge program to replace all meters to peak rate billing!
So true, I have Pennelec first energy and I have a peak meter for the past 10 years, with the electric rate increase we got in january, my bill only went up a few dollars, I think the increase was like 16 percent, it had been on rate cap for years.. Most of my neighbors have regular meters and have monthly bills around 100 bucks, about 135 in the winter but I have never hit the 60 dollar mark yet, even in the winter with my electric heat, I only use the heat and the stove after 8pm till 8am, after 8am, the rate jumps up, i am very energy minded and very green so I love the peak meter, it can really work for your advantage if you are educated on how the smart meters work..
Local Critic

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2011

Chambersburg's electric is very low and has been.
Forsure wrote:
<quoted text>
If cburgers think their electric is high now, just wait until this company takes over. No more competition. Alleghany was one of the lowest costing electricity in the state. Sad to see them bought out by their competitor.
Allegheny Employee

Chambersburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2011

This is Important wrote:
I do know one thing my electric meter
hasn't been read (by Allegheny) in over
4 month. It should have been read before
the end of December because the cap
being taken off and maybe a difference
in price. I don't want to hear that it
was the weather and couldn't get to meter.
November & December our weather wasn't bad.
What happened to the meter reader?????
To lazy????
After the drug raid that was performed on your house back in January, the DEA advised us to not step on the property until the investigation was complete.
r u serious

Waynesboro, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 27, 2011

Judged:

Power up, your an idiot, lame. No sorry im not on liheap like you to pay my bills. They get paid. Sorry to suprise your dumba** but yea, just no good run ins with this company.. so you can , you know what :)
vicom

Uniontown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 3, 2011

This is Important wrote:
I do know one thing my electric meter
hasn't been read (by Allegheny) in over
4 month. It should have been read before
the end of December because the cap
being taken off and maybe a difference
in price. I don't want to hear that it
was the weather and couldn't get to meter.
November & December our weather wasn't bad.
What happened to the meter reader?????
To lazy????
thats right too lazy im sure in this computer age the meter reader just misses blocks of meters for no good reason. you are an idiot
Bob

State College, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Feb 13, 2012

Palmco Electric—an electric generation supplier, called me last night. Free markets and all that. I could expect more than 8% savings, I was told. They would offer me 6.4cents per kilowatt hour.

Asked if the rate they are offering is an introductory rate, they were vague until I said to them,“Gee—the rate listed on the PAPowerSwitch website says it’s an introductory rate.”

“Well, yes it is, sir,” was the reply. I asked what rate current customers are paying, and was told, as far as they know they are the same as those listed— but naturally rates might fluctuate up or down in the future.

Interesting conversation. You see, I had just switched away from Palmco power. Last month, they charged me 11.4 cents per kilowatt hour.

It will take one cycle for many customers to realize that Palmco has switched their electric generation fee from the best available at PAPowerswitch to nearly double this value, and then, given the existing structure, it takes two additional billing cycles to get switched to a new provider. This mistake cost me hundreds of dollars. This is a swindle, pure and simple, facilitated by the rules of the PUC.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent FirstEnergy Discussions

Search the FirstEnergy Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
double bill (Jan '14) Jan '14 H Sig 1
FirstEnergy hydroelectric statio... (Nov '13) Nov '13 ndact 1
Lawsuit against FirstEnergy claims wrongful ter... (May '08) Aug '13 pam 3
Closing of Western Pennsylvania power plants le... (Jul '13) Aug '13 Joe 2
Pipeline To Be Built Within Mile Of Nuclear Plant (Nov '12) Nov '12 Greg 1
Nuclear Cracks Tied to Lack of Coating (Mar '12) Mar '12 Dan 1
FirstEnergy plans job fair (Jan '08) Mar '12 Former Nuke 24
•••
•••