Ohio regulators to ask utility to exp...

Ohio regulators to ask utility to explain light bulb distribution plan that drew flak

There are 11 comments on the WJW Fox 8 Cleveland story from Oct 28, 2009, titled Ohio regulators to ask utility to explain light bulb distribution plan that drew flak. In it, WJW Fox 8 Cleveland reports that:

Ohio regulators will ask a power company to defend its plan to pay for an energy-efficient light bulb program by charging customers for the bulbs as well as any energy savings.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at WJW Fox 8 Cleveland.

SD WOOLFROM

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#1 Oct 28, 2009
The PUCO guarantees a profit for all utilities in the state of Ohio . I sincerely hope the profit that was to be made on this light bulb scam will be addressed and nullified by the PUCO.
Judy

Novelty, OH

#2 Oct 28, 2009
I hope PUCO is on the up & up about this and rules that this program is not fair to First Energy's customers. A lot of people already use those bulbs and have purchased them at a fair price at a retail store. The best way for First Energy to handle this would be to simply send coupons to customers for the bulbs that could be used at any store. Then it would be the customer's choice to use them or not.
forestview

Cleveland, OH

#3 Oct 28, 2009
Everybody is angry at the electric company but please consider this, the feds want the states to increase energy efficiency. That sounds good. The problem is that our state has decided that the energy company should handle that obligation. That is like telling General Motors to teach consumers how to extend the life of their current cars so they don't have to buy new ones. Silly. In what world would First Energy give up millions of profits just for the sake of the environment. They have a responsibility to their stockholders to maximize profits. Do you blame them for trying this? What would you do if you owned the power company? Think about it.
Bonnie

Independence, OH

#4 Oct 28, 2009
How are they going to offer a 'choice,' I wonder?

They just need to can it altogether. You can get these bulbs at the dollar store for goodness sake.:-/
Jackie

Cleveland, OH

#5 Oct 28, 2009
First Energy should give these bulbs to their employees -especially the Board of Directors and CEO - along with a nice card that reads
"First Energy appreciates its employees and in lieu of a bonus, every employee is recieving a package of energy efficient light bulbs. Thank you for your service and Happy Holidays from First Energy."
Works for me.
Jackie

Cleveland, OH

#6 Oct 28, 2009
The PUCO members can also be removed and replaced. After this fiasco they should be. Maybe Dennis K will work on that also!
capri3971

Broadview Heights, OH

#7 Oct 28, 2009
mo money mo money mo money! they will find a way to get more money into their pockets! Hold on to your senses people it's gonna be a loooooooooooooong ride. greed has no limit. anyway they can they will get the money. that's the rule with this oversized company. there are other suppliers out there but guess where they get the electricity from? Have you seen any new lines being run? any new power plants being constructed? they are getting a cut from suppliers too! duh!
Tim S

Cleveland, OH

#8 Oct 28, 2009
If I generate excess electric power, First Energy has to buy it from me. Can I sell all my extra f-bulbs to First Energy for 10.80 each? I have been using f-bulbs since the early 90s and I'm also using many of the newer LED bulbs. I don't need any more f-bulbs.
DoubleCheese

Cleveland, OH

#9 Oct 28, 2009
Sounds like Jackie works for FirstEnergy! I bet you steal pens from the supply room, don't you?
Taxed2death

Apollo, PA

#10 Oct 28, 2009
First Energy said that for the 3rd quarter of 2009 deliveries to residential and commercial
customers declined 8 percent and 6 percent respectively. So I guess this doesn't count towards lowering output since we cut back on our consumption as opposed to them telling us how we should lower our energy consumption. The folks in Columbus better do something about this soon or we will be putting up with this until 2025.
Judy

Novelty, OH

#11 Oct 28, 2009
Electric companies want us to lower our energy consumption but then they want to punish us for doing so by raising our rates to make up for the money they lose when we lower our consumption. If they want us to use less energy shouldn't we be rewarded for doing so with lower bills instead of punished with increased rates?

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

FirstEnergy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
double bill (Jan '14) Jan '14 H Sig 1
News FirstEnergy hydroelectric statio... (Nov '13) Nov '13 ndact 1
News Lawsuit against FirstEnergy claims wrongful ter... (May '08) Aug '13 pam 3
News Closing of Western Pennsylvania power plants le... (Jul '13) Aug '13 Joe 2
News Pipeline To Be Built Within Mile Of Nuclear Plant (Nov '12) Nov '12 Greg 1
News Nuclear Cracks Tied to Lack of Coating (Mar '12) Mar '12 Dan 1
News FirstEnergy plans job fair (Jan '08) Mar '12 Former Nuke 24
More from around the web