Utility regulators in Ohio say they didn't intend to eliminate ...

Utility regulators in Ohio say they never intended to allow an end to discounts for all-electric homes when they approved a new rate plan for FirstEnergy. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Medina school teacher

Chardon, OH

#1 Feb 19, 2010
Who voted for Ted Strickland and why?
Not happy

Independence, OH

#2 Feb 19, 2010
I feel bad for the customers, but it's not just those with all-electric homes. My bill tripled. Tripled in a month. And when I called The Illuminating Company, the gave me a whole extra week to pay and acted like they were doing me favor. So now I choose between paying other bills and eating or paying them.
wolfdog

Jamestown, NY

#3 Feb 19, 2010
PUCO - Pathetic Unintelligent Clueless Organization, hear no evil, see no evil.
jim

Cleveland, OH

#4 Feb 23, 2010
They need to get their money back from the failed lightbulb program some how. And this is their way.
Gas Man

United States

#5 Feb 23, 2010
A note to all who think their protests are "sticking it" to the electric company: The 99% of us who live in Ohio who do NOT have the all-electric subsidies are paying HIGHER bills to PAY for those subsidies.

Yep, most of the people reading this are paying higher electric bills to cover the cost of the lower rates of the protesters.

Still feel like protesting now?

“A work in progress”

Since: Nov 09

Location hidden

#6 Feb 23, 2010
I have oil heat and it costs me about $68.00 a week just to heat my house and my electric bill doubled last month too. I wish I never rented this house. My last house was all electric and my electric bill now is the same as it was at my last place! Plus I am paying for oil. I will definately be moving when my lease is up.

Since: Dec 09

Location hidden

#7 Feb 23, 2010
chop wood

“A work in progress”

Location hidden

#8 Feb 23, 2010
D and D wrote:
chop wood
I wish I did have an outside wood burner or pellet stove. I'd chop wood. I'd use a log splitter of course, but I'd gladly help out if it'd save me a couple hundred dollars.
Seniors in Distress

Columbus, OH

#9 Feb 23, 2010
In 2005 we built our downsized retirement home. We chose electric heating because of the discount for all electric homes. We were VERBAlLY assured that we were "Grandfathered In" and even if there was a change we would not be effected. We feel this has been one heck of a con job by our state government, the PUCO and the electric company. If an individual taxpayer had tried to pull something like this, they would already have been charged with fraud, sentenced and be serving time. Thank You so much OHIO!--- and you wonder why people move away!
Prevail

Cleveland, OH

#10 Feb 23, 2010
Hey Gas Man do you understand the concept of volume purchasing? Those of us who have an all electric home consume more electricity had should have a discount.

Besides we were enticed by CEI to purchase an electric furnance and all electric appliances with the promise that we would be rewarded with a special discount. We made long term and expensive decisions that simply cannot be undone without an elaborate expense. This is a classic example of bait and switch by a monoploy that can pretty much do as it wants. When they make a mistake they simply pass the cost to the consumer. Just like the light bulb fiasco, the consumers were able to get that cancelled but still are on the hook for over $700,000!
CHARLIE-Z

Redford, MI

#11 Feb 23, 2010
Gas Man wrote:
A note to all who think their protests are "sticking it" to the electric company: The 99% of us who live in Ohio who do NOT have the all-electric subsidies are paying HIGHER bills to PAY for those subsidies.
Yep, most of the people reading this are paying higher electric bills to cover the cost of the lower rates of the protesters.
Still feel like protesting now?
Hey Gas Man,
How much have your electric rates gone down since the all-electric discount was eliminated last spring? Doesn't it bother you that your 'higher bills' are also subsidizing commercial users like Ford, Cleveland Clinic and Crocker Park?
CEI has many different rates. Their residental rate is the highest. Large volume users pay the least. Gullible people believe their spin about all-electric discounts costing everybody more.The evidence says that the discount had no effect on what you paid. The truth is that nobody has paid less for electricity since the discount was eliminated. The only thing that resulted from the elimination was an increase in profits for their shareholders.
Bruce B

Middleboro, MA

#12 Feb 23, 2010
Medina school teacher wrote:
Who voted for Ted Strickland and why?
I have your answer..The same people who voted for Barack Hussein Obama voted for Teddy.. That's who. The same people who thought 'change' was a good thing, voted for Ted. It is flatout ridiculous where our state and our country is heading. All because someone thought we needed change.
B James

Amherst, OH

#13 Feb 23, 2010
I'm a retired individual and because I'm notdown to poverty level, as yet, FirstEnergy doesn't give me any special rates so how is this fair?
Angela

United States

#14 Feb 23, 2010
I bought my all electric house last October thinking is was going to be great going to a greener energy source. Now my electric bill is more than my mortgage for one month! Now I have to chose which one to pay because I can't pay both and eat! My bill trippled since last year this time. I will never buy an all electric house again if something does not change.

“A work in progress”

Location hidden

#15 Feb 23, 2010
B James wrote:
I'm a retired individual and because I'm notdown to poverty level, as yet, FirstEnergy doesn't give me any special rates so how is this fair?
The only system that is alive and thriving is the welfare system. Just pop out 3 kids and don't get married and you could be living the American dream! Just imagine sec 8 housing, free medical, free daycare, free food, discounted this and that. And while you are living off the govt you can use that money to buy yourself a nice cadillac with some pertty rims!....You want to talk about fair? People working their butts off are getting raped left and right by all this "change" while others are just laying back and enjoying the ride on the democrat express.
Angela

United States

#16 Feb 23, 2010
I live in Strongsville, Not Chicago
Gimme a break

Chesterland, OH

#17 Feb 23, 2010
It's greed; that's all it is. I'm sure they've paid off PUCO so they'd be on board for this rate hike as well as the light bulb fiasco. Two things in the same year, a little much, don'cha think?

They're buying up smaller electric companies all over the Northeast (can you say monopoly?) and then cry "our profits are dropping". Boo-hoo.. What, a profit of $200 somewhat million a quarter not enough? I guess the millions in bonuses aren't enough either, eh?
les

United States

#18 Feb 23, 2010
And Strickland is up in the polls! What good is First Energy's proposal to phase it out in 8 years? How did First Energy afford to buy out the competition if it needs the hike. PUCO members should be jailed over this!
brendan jones

Westfield Center, OH

#19 Feb 23, 2010
fire every politician in office and BOYCOTT paying your electric bills and see what happens...this is just another attempt to put the screws to the everyday worker...
GeaugaTruck

Chardon, OH

#20 Feb 23, 2010
There is no mention of the "Load Managment" customers who had expensive load managing devices installed to control the electric useage to conform to the rate tarrif that keeps peak useage in times when the utilities have lower demand. This is also known as "Demand Metering" or "Demand Useage" This tarrif was eliminated in the new rates.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

FirstEnergy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
double bill (Jan '14) Jan '14 H Sig 1
FirstEnergy hydroelectric statio... (Nov '13) Nov '13 ndact 1
Lawsuit against FirstEnergy claims wrongful ter... (May '08) Aug '13 pam 3
Closing of Western Pennsylvania power plants le... (Jul '13) Aug '13 Joe 2
Pipeline To Be Built Within Mile Of Nuclear Plant (Nov '12) Nov '12 Greg 1
Nuclear Cracks Tied to Lack of Coating (Mar '12) Mar '12 Dan 1
FirstEnergy plans job fair (Jan '08) Mar '12 Former Nuke 24

FirstEnergy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE