Met-Ed hikes annual rate

Full story: Evening Sun

The next time you receive a bill from Met-Ed, the amount you owe might be higher than expected.
Comments
1 - 20 of 23 Comments Last updated Jun 10, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
DLE

East Berlin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#1
Jun 9, 2009
 
Met Ed is just another rip. They know folks need electricity and they feel they can price gouge thinking most people will pay. If not, it's no skin off their back. They just cut your service. We cut back our usage and the bill still climbs. We went away for 2 weeks. Everything in the house was turned off. Our bill went up.We got no satisfaction when we called Met Ed.
justice for all

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#2
Jun 9, 2009
 
Hey all you Gettysburg school district homeowners if you add the 4.1 school tax increase with the Met-Ed increase you all just woke up to about 175 dollars more a year you have to come up with. Right in the middle of a huge Government caused recession. Remember that if you vote and if you don't vote start to.
Hangover

Baltimore, MD

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#3
Jun 9, 2009
 
DLE wrote:
Met Ed is just another rip. They know folks need electricity and they feel they can price gouge thinking most people will pay. If not, it's no skin off their back. They just cut your service. We cut back our usage and the bill still climbs. We went away for 2 weeks. Everything in the house was turned off. Our bill went up.We got no satisfaction when we called Met Ed.
Unfortunately thats the way it is. As their cost goes up so does ours. When they get charged more per kwh they need to pass that along to us or else take the hit. It sucks but what are you going to do?
JLB

Fort Huachuca, AZ

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#4
Jun 9, 2009
 
DLE wrote:
Met Ed is just another rip. They know folks need electricity and they feel they can price gouge thinking most people will pay. If not, it's no skin off their back. They just cut your service. We cut back our usage and the bill still climbs. We went away for 2 weeks. Everything in the house was turned off. Our bill went up.We got no satisfaction when we called Met Ed.
If you think Med Ed is a rip.. move down to Maryland, and pay BG&E rates. You'll consider Met Ed a bargain!
borough resident

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#5
Jun 9, 2009
 
I'm a transplant from Maryland - JLB is not kidding about the BGE bills. I'm thankful I have Met-Ed. If you've heard about Met-Ed's offer when electricity is de-regulated in 2011? You pay 10% more now - they put it in an account for you and you get 7.5%
INTEREST!! You won't find any financial institution that's giving 7.5% interest AND if you change your mind and drop out of it - you get your $$ back WITH THE 7.5% INTEREST!!!!! You would be a fool NOT to do this!!! What a deal!!!!!!!!!!
just saying

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#6
Jun 9, 2009
 
well if everyone would use it like we used gas when it went up. then maybe we would have some leverage. And btw just turning things off does save you electricity. i was watching a show the other week about electricty vampires. just beacuse something is turned off does not mean it doesnt use electricty. there was a woman that had a 150 plus a month phone bill she implemented an unplug rule in her house her bill went from 150 plus a months to like 30 dollars...it was amazing. so unplug when not in use and see what your bill is then. when those caps come off i will be using oil lanterns.lol

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#7
Jun 9, 2009
 
i know when i unplug my phone....
dunno

Lancaster, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#8
Jun 9, 2009
 
It does sound like a good deal, but I also heard that they're doing this to get a feel for how much people really can afford when they can pay that extra 10% now. They'll be sure to raise the rates at least that much later on. They will not get any extra money from me even if I had it.
borough resident wrote:
I'm a transplant from Maryland - JLB is not kidding about the BGE bills. I'm thankful I have Met-Ed. If you've heard about Met-Ed's offer when electricity is de-regulated in 2011? You pay 10% more now - they put it in an account for you and you get 7.5%
INTEREST!! You won't find any financial institution that's giving 7.5% interest AND if you change your mind and drop out of it - you get your $$ back WITH THE 7.5% INTEREST!!!!! You would be a fool NOT to do this!!! What a deal!!!!!!!!!!

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#9
Jun 9, 2009
 
As electric prices increase and solar/wind technologies become cheaper to purchase, the delta between expense and payback gets smaller and more attractive.

If you have the funds and want to hedge against future power price spikes, consider going "green." In states that allow net metering, not only do you cover your own power needs, you also have the right to run your meter backward as you route excess power production from your home to the grid.
just saying

Philadelphia, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#10
Jun 9, 2009
 
and there are govt grants and tax right offs to help do it and for doing it....
ladyamydz

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#11
Jun 9, 2009
 
give that hike to the home builders!!!!!!!!! we don't want no more stinkin' new homes!

Since: May 09

McSherrystown

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#12
Jun 9, 2009
 
Oh boy more money to pay out that I don't have

Since: Dec 08

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#13
Jun 9, 2009
 
icanreadsoshutup wrote:
Oh boy more money to pay out that I don't have
where is mccherrytowm???????
Pa Resident

Harrisburg, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#14
Jun 9, 2009
 

Judged:

1

We are on the busget program and the last time i checked we had a credit of $75.00 but im sure that will change, they will find a way to suck it out of us they always do.

If us little people didnt pay these big companies would not be where they are today!!!!!!

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#15
Jun 10, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Pa Resident wrote:
If us little people didnt pay these big companies would not be where they are today!!!!!!
Higher electric rates suck, that's for sure, and it's certain they're going to go up for many different reasons. Insurances, fuel costs, construction costs, benefits, wages, purchased power costs, materials and supplies, TAXES, all going up. Some of PJM's tariffs continue to rise, as evidenced by this recent ME rate increase.

Big Electric doesn't get rich off of Ma and Pa turning on a 15 watt fluorescent lamp or watching their TV. Sure, high or low temperature resistive loads drive up a residential bill according to A/C or electric heating usage, but Big Electric makes their big money from commercial and industrial customers.

If you don't think that's an accurate statement, go research why rural electric cooperatives came to be... there wasn't enough financial return to run lines to distant farms that would use very little power!

Since: Sep 08

Washington, DC

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#16
Jun 10, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Scooter Moonpie wrote:
As electric prices increase and solar/wind technologies become cheaper to purchase, the delta between expense and payback gets smaller and more attractive.
If you have the funds and want to hedge against future power price spikes, consider going "green." In states that allow net metering, not only do you cover your own power needs, you also have the right to run your meter backward as you route excess power production from your home to the grid.
Already checked on it, and a full solar panel system for my home would cost $18,000. Even after the $3,000 tax credit, I would not recoup my investment for at least 15 years. No thanks. I need a break right now!
Bmore Fuzz

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#17
Jun 10, 2009
 
The magic of the American Monopoly,,,

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#18
Jun 10, 2009
 
Snake-Eyes wrote:
<quoted text>
Already checked on it, and a full solar panel system for my home would cost $18,000. Even after the $3,000 tax credit, I would not recoup my investment for at least 15 years. No thanks. I need a break right now!
That sounds like a fair and average estimate. Understood, still out of reach for most of us.

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#19
Jun 10, 2009
 

Judged:

1

1

1

Bmore Fuzz wrote:
The magic of the American Monopoly,,,
That's the odd thing... many of the current pricing issues with electricity is the direct result of the elimination of monopolized service territories, the deregulation of power generation, and the re-regulation of transmission services.

Some things are better left monopolized. Electricity is one of them. Too late now.

“I'm as Mad as Hell...”

Since: Mar 07

Your Neighbor & Friend

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
#20
Jun 10, 2009
 

Judged:

1

Scooter Moonpie wrote:
<quoted text>
That's the odd thing... many of the current pricing issues with electricity is the direct result of the elimination of monopolized service territories, the deregulation of power generation, and the re-regulation of transmission services.
Some things are better left monopolized. Electricity is one of them. Too late now.
Or, better left regulated.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent FirstEnergy Discussions

Search the FirstEnergy Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
double bill (Jan '14) Jan '14 H Sig 1
FirstEnergy hydroelectric statio... (Nov '13) Nov '13 ndact 1
Lawsuit against FirstEnergy claims wrongful ter... (May '08) Aug '13 pam 3
Closing of Western Pennsylvania power plants le... (Jul '13) Aug '13 Joe 2
Pipeline To Be Built Within Mile Of Nuclear Plant (Nov '12) Nov '12 Greg 1
Nuclear Cracks Tied to Lack of Coating (Mar '12) Mar '12 Dan 1
FirstEnergy plans job fair (Jan '08) Mar '12 Former Nuke 24
•••
•••