Dyer Streets: White Pond has some see...

Dyer Streets: White Pond has some seeing red

There are 36 comments on the Akron Beacon Journal story from Aug 28, 2008, titled Dyer Streets: White Pond has some seeing red. In it, Akron Beacon Journal reports that:

Akron officials say changes to the traffic pattern in the White Pond Drive area are designed for ''traffic calming.'' But many residents are a lot less calm than they used to be.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Akron Beacon Journal.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
pheelix

Stow, OH

#1 Aug 28, 2008
Please update with a map to show blocked streets.
Amy from Akron

Uniontown, OH

#2 Aug 28, 2008
In other words, don't try to take White Pond from Market all the way to the expressway, right?

I can't believe the rudeness of people to drive into lawns to go around barriers. The people who own the lawn did not put the barrier up. Don't trash their lawn because you are ticked.
Actually

Strongsville, OH

#3 Aug 29, 2008
we was hopin' they would put those baracades in dyer's drive. It would calm down his columns. Mayor Plusquellic needs them in his drive, too. It would make him appreciate the sewers, when he dumps a load on everyone.

Since: Mar 07

Tulsa, OK

#4 Aug 29, 2008
Attaboy Dyer, another award winnin' traffic report.
VICTORY IS MINE

Akron, OH

#5 Aug 29, 2008
I have lived off White Pond south of the railroad tracks for 7 years. The last year has been HE double hockey sticks. First we were blocked north of the railroad tracks, which we had to drive down Mull to S Hawkins just to get to Market. If I wanted to go to Blockbuster or CVS it took me 15minutes longer each way, then if I took Frank.

The we were block from getting to I77. Now I cant take White Pond again to get to Market? I live in the area, its my neighborhood...why am I punished.

Maybe if Akron would not have let this area become riddled with useless office building. And the devil First Energy is going to make it worse.
unhappy

Tulsa, OK

#6 Aug 29, 2008
Not only are the barricades leftovers from the city garage, residents have now taken to putting up their own signs to direct the traffic, some are even mispelled. It is a disgrace! Kudos to the city for implementing such a well thought out plan, NOT!
akron commuter

Tulsa, OK

#7 Aug 29, 2008
Who do you people think you are. It must be pretty easy to shut down streets, so why don't all the people in Akron file for their streets to be closed off because I know I don't have sidewalks and I do have 2 kids. To bad for the Judith Isroff Park opening because now they have to look at that ugly eyesore of a barricade. Looks like I will have to get a second job, just to afford the extra gas I will use to try to get to my first job. Good going Mayor and Bob Keith. You won't get my vote.
rufus

Raleigh, NC

#8 Aug 29, 2008
bob why would you contact the summit county engineer when the intersection is in akron, the city traffic engilneer wont do as well.
akron commuter

Tulsa, OK

#9 Aug 29, 2008
unhappy wrote:
Not only are the barricades leftovers from the city garage, residents have now taken to putting up their own signs to direct the traffic, some are even mispelled. It is a disgrace! Kudos to the city for implementing such a well thought out plan, NOT!
Ya nothing like spending $200,000 on a house and have to be bothered with those ugly things, and angry commuters trying to find there way.
tony

Vienna, OH

#10 Aug 29, 2008
If people would slow down and obey the law, this wouldn't even be an issue. Everyone is in such a hurry to go nowhere. Slow down and think of someone besides your spoiled little self.
I am

Strongsville, OH

#11 Aug 29, 2008
mayor Don P, you like speeding cameras, I see.
tony wrote:
If people would slow down and obey the law, this wouldn't even be an issue. Everyone is in such a hurry to go nowhere. Slow down and think of someone besides your spoiled little self.

Since: Oct 07

United States

#12 Aug 29, 2008
Betamax wrote:
Attaboy Dyer, another award winnin' traffic report.
I still think your man-crush on Bob is cute. It is great to see you stand by your man and his articles, Tutuboy.
Rich

United States

#13 Aug 29, 2008
Why not use better technology such as radarsigns that actively inform drivers of their speed and collect data for enforcement. They seem to work in other areas. Checkout radarsign.com
nearby resident

Cuyahoga Falls, OH

#14 Aug 29, 2008
Poor Marcia Pantuso. Didn't you see the big signs on the expressway that said "White Pond" when you bought your home? Perhaps you should have looked for a home with sidewalks to begin with. Because of a few residents that pay more in taxes to the city than the residents on Frank, many people are inconvenienced including the people across market street.
akron commuter

Tulsa, OK

#15 Aug 29, 2008
nearby resident wrote:
Poor Marcia Pantuso. Didn't you see the big signs on the expressway that said "White Pond" when you bought your home? Perhaps you should have looked for a home with sidewalks to begin with. Because of a few residents that pay more in taxes to the city than the residents on Frank, many people are inconvenienced including the people across market street.
the few people you are talking about paid the least for their homes then all the others. even though there were homes for sale at the same time on the quieter streets that cost more than what they wanted to pay
MWP

AOL

#16 Aug 29, 2008
nearby resident wrote:
The column states that part of this driving situation is associated with the new FirstEnergy complex that will be opening in the near future. Perhaps Marcia Pantuso has owned her home for more than the few months that the construction has been going on. White Pond has always been the busiest street in the area, but it's been even busier since the new building went up and the road construction south of the railroad tracks has been completed. It will only get worse when another new building is constructed on the SW corner of Frank and White Pond. The new driveway is already in place.
I'd like to point out that the residents in the neighborhood are sympathetic to the home owners on Frank Blvd because they are stuck with most of the extra traffic. There have been at least 3 meetings discussing the situation, and the reason traffic is being directed to Frank is because of the classification of the street, not because their taxes may be less. One proposed plan is the City of Akron buying houses on Frank and/or widening the road. Hopefully a solution can be reached to satisfy everyone.
What it boils down to is safety vs convenience. Would you rather have a pedestrian be hit by a driver who sees White Pond as an extension of I-77, or would it be better for you to have to travel a couple extra blocks?
Bob Dyer

Richfield, OH

#17 Aug 29, 2008
rufus wrote:
bob why would you contact the summit county engineer when the intersection is in akron, the city traffic engilneer wont do as well.
Hey Rufus... I just saw this. In the future, if you have a question for me, why don't you contact me via the email address at the end of every column? I don't always get a chance to read these. Anyway, to answer your question, that end of the project is indeed in the city of Akron. But part of that same project is outside the city limits, which means the county is involved, too. And, in this case, the county engineer is responsible for administering the construction for the whole project.
just saying

Tulsa, OK

#19 Aug 29, 2008
just another example of dictator don putting business ahead of his constituants. First Energy could have easily used their Market st. entrance to their new building; after all it is already in a business district. I'm sure all those people who live their just love having their property values plummet.
frustrated resident

AOL

#20 Aug 29, 2008
The barricades have done nothing except protect the newest residents on White Pond. The only road that is now calm is White Pond, the residents on every other street are severely impacted by the chosen fews' ability to wrangle their friends within the city government. It is very interesting that the person that spearheaded this craziness is a principal of a firm that has won hundreds of thousands of dollars in city contract work.
Very Calm

Louisville, KY

#21 Aug 29, 2008
CALMING?? Nice and calm for the residents of White Pond, not so calm for the rest of us on the surrounding streets! I was at your meeting Mr. Mayor, when we were told we could not vote on this issue. Does the city really think that we believe them when they tell us that White Pond Drive is not a main street? Should we also believe that all the new First Energy employees will be invading our neighborhood? Take em down!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

FirstEnergy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News FirstEnergy raising $500 million with new stock... Aug 4 lilbitmighty 1
double bill (Jan '14) Jan '14 H Sig 1
News FirstEnergy hydroelectric statio... (Nov '13) Nov '13 ndact 1
News Lawsuit against FirstEnergy claims wrongful ter... (May '08) Aug '13 pam 3
News Closing of Western Pennsylvania power plants le... (Jul '13) Aug '13 Joe 2
News Pipeline To Be Built Within Mile Of Nuclear Plant (Nov '12) Nov '12 Greg 1
News Nuclear Cracks Tied to Lack of Coating (Mar '12) Mar '12 Dan 1
More from around the web