FirstEnergy plans job fair

FirstEnergy Corp. expects to hire 1,100 people this year. And next year. And the year after that. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
What

Remington, VA

#1 Jan 29, 2008
They've had all those lay-offs over the years and now they're hiring?? Why don't they hire back all those poor people who lost their jobs in the past?
AppleJack

Shippingport, PA

#2 Jan 29, 2008
As with most businesses, the baby-boomer population will retire over the next 10 years and those folks have to be replaced.

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

#3 Jan 29, 2008
What wrote:
They've had all those lay-offs over the years and now they're hiring?? Why don't they hire back all those poor people who lost their jobs in the past?
They have. Not all of them, but they have rehired a LOT of the former employees.
oh boy

United States

#4 Jan 29, 2008
It is all about who knows who in the job market, so if you do not know somebody at First Energy you can probably figure you will not get a job.
Akron

Shippingport, PA

#5 Jan 29, 2008
oh boy wrote:
It is all about who knows who in the job market, so if you do not know somebody at First Energy you can probably figure you will not get a job.
Pretty true actually, I work for the company I knew someone who worked there before I got hired in. Hate to say it but it is true. Not just with this company - thats how a lot of companies work these days.
Class of 68

Caddo Mills, TX

#6 Jan 29, 2008
Word of mouth and a good recommendation from a current employee has always meant extra points with the HR Department of the good employers.
Dreamer

Norwalk, OH

#7 Jan 29, 2008
Go for the lineman jobs. You get paid $25 an hour to drink coffee in your truck!
Akron

Shippingport, PA

#8 Jan 30, 2008
Dreamer wrote:
Go for the lineman jobs. You get paid $25 an hour to drink coffee in your truck!
Working for this company is hard work. I'm in a call center-we have to deal with b-tchy customers like you. I don't know about the lineman, but like the outages from last night, the power would still be out if they weren't working their asses off!
Dreamer

Norwalk, OH

#9 Jan 30, 2008
Akron wrote:
<quoted text>
Working for this company is hard work. I'm in a call center-we have to deal with b-tchy customers like you. I don't know about the lineman, but like the outages from last night, the power would still be out if they weren't working their asses off!
Give me a break...Working for the utility company is the easiest job in the world...Postal employees wish the worked at FirstEnergy..

“Lohio Bound”

Location hidden

#11 Jan 31, 2008
^5 Akron!

Thank you for all you do.
Dreamer

Norwalk, OH

#12 Jan 31, 2008
Akron wrote:
<quoted text>
Sure buddy, try working in the call center with every move you make being monitored. You have to time when you get up to go to the friggin bathroom - "only on breaks!!" You have to take at least 65 calls a day! And can't take breaks between calls or they get on your ass. And you have to kiss customers asses, can't say one thing wrong or you get points marked off on it. So seriously, until you're in this spot, please do not tell me that it's the easiest job in the world! Because you DO not know! No it isn't the HARDEST, but it's certainly not the easiest! I actually was looking into a post office job because I'd rather work there!
I was referring to the linemen and the other folks out in the field (meter readers). For the amount of work that they really do and the gobs of overtime that they steal from the rate payers, that has to be the easiest job in the world.

Sorry to hear about your conditions. Try getting into downtown. Its a cakewalk there also.
AppleJack

Shippingport, PA

#13 Feb 1, 2008
Dreamer wrote:
<quoted text>
I was referring to the linemen and the other folks out in the field (meter readers). For the amount of work that they really do and the gobs of overtime that they steal from the rate payers, that has to be the easiest job in the world.
Sorry to hear about your conditions. Try getting into downtown. Its a cakewalk there also.
What a load LOL... from someone who once again "thinks" they know what's going on in the world. I won't even begin to try and argue with you because you see everyone out there having what you don't. Let's just say I have a LOT of experience with utilities and can promise you that you wouldn't last a week on a line crew.

“Lohio Bound”

Location hidden

#14 Feb 1, 2008
Dreamer wrote:
For the amount of work that they really do and the gobs of overtime that they steal from the rate payers, that has to be the easiest job in the world.
Remember you wrote that next time your power goes out during an ice storm. Who's out there in the rain/ice, wind, and dark at 3 a.m. getting your power back on?

That's right, those "lazy coffee drinking" linemen.

Power generation / transmission / distribution is a 24/7/365 job. About the only time the average power user thinks about his electric service is when (a) he gets his bill, and (b) when the lights go out. Power providers think about it all the time. They have to so you don't have to.
BBB

Brecksville, OH

#15 Feb 1, 2008
I appreciate the linemen keeping the power on.
Dreamer

Norwalk, OH

#16 Feb 1, 2008
AppleJack wrote:
<quoted text>
What a load LOL... from someone who once again "thinks" they know what's going on in the world. I won't even begin to try and argue with you because you see everyone out there having what you don't. Let's just say I have a LOT of experience with utilities and can promise you that you wouldn't last a week on a line crew.
I did the job for years and had to relocate out of state to take care of my dying parents. I am back and chose not to return to that job because it was not challenging enough. Before I left, I gained 20 pounds from sitting in the truck. I quickly lost that weight when I moved a took up another profession. I have been there. Yes, when the lines go down, they do work hard and in miserable conditions. But when you go out and make triple time, nobody is complaining and they take their time. Go out of town for some mutual assistance and the payoff is huge. I am sorry if I offend anybody, but for the most part it is a cake job.
AppleJack

Avon Lake, OH

#17 Feb 2, 2008
Dreamer wrote:
<quoted text>
I did the job for years and had to relocate out of state to take care of my dying parents. I am back and chose not to return to that job because it was not challenging enough. Before I left, I gained 20 pounds from sitting in the truck. I quickly lost that weight when I moved a took up another profession. I have been there. Yes, when the lines go down, they do work hard and in miserable conditions. But when you go out and make triple time, nobody is complaining and they take their time. Go out of town for some mutual assistance and the payoff is huge. I am sorry if I offend anybody, but for the most part it is a cake job.
Sounds like a disgruntled former employee to me...

Previous posts by Dreamer....

>Go for the lineman jobs. You get paid $25 an hour to drink coffee in your truck!

>Give me a break...Working for the utility company is the easiest job in the world...Postal employees wish the worked at FirstEnergy..

>I was referring to the linemen and the other folks out in the field (meter readers). For the amount of work that they really do and the gobs of overtime that they steal from the rate payers, that has to be the easiest job in the world.

I responded initially in response to your claims above that it was the "easiest job in the world" which it is far from.

Your last post suggests heavily you either hated the job or have a bone to pick.

Linemen get paid well, yes, and they work hard for it. If your upset because you had to leave that pay for personal reasons - it's no reason to badmouth those still there.

Oh, by the way, I was there as well so don't try and tell me what I should know.
MBC

Norwalk, OH

#18 Feb 2, 2008
AppleJack wrote:
<quoted text>
>Go for the lineman jobs. You get paid $25 an hour to drink coffee in your truck!
>Give me a break...Working for the utility company is the easiest job in the world...Postal employees wish the worked at FirstEnergy..
>I was referring to the linemen and the other folks out in the field (meter readers). For the amount of work that they really do and the gobs of overtime that they steal from the rate payers, that has to be the easiest job in the world.
I responded initially in response to your claims above that it was the "easiest job in the world" which it is far from.
Your last post suggests heavily you either hated the job or have a bone to pick.
Linemen get paid well, yes, and they work hard for it. If your upset because you had to leave that pay for personal reasons - it's no reason to badmouth those still there.
Oh, by the way, I was there as well so don't try and tell me what I should know.
Hey...Applecrack...waaaaaaaaaa waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa go get a real job!!!!!!!!!!
Dreamer

Norwalk, OH

#19 Feb 2, 2008
AppleJack wrote:
<quoted text>
I was simply pointing potential job seekers to the easiest with the potential to make the most money within the company. I am not a disgruntled employee. While out of state I started a franchise business and was able to bring that back to Ohio. Instead of working for the union for the rest of my life, I made a change and haven't looked back. I am my own boss and it pays well. I am not trying to tell you anything. You already know then what utility company work is all about, so nothing here is a surprise. I am sorry your feelings were hurt. Time to let go and move on. Another advantage of working in the field, along with the triple overtime, is that when the big merger comes along you won't be riffed like the corporate personnel.
RACECAR

Norwalk, OH

#21 Feb 18, 2008
Anybody attend this? Anybody get a job?
Nick

Erie, PA

#22 Apr 9, 2010
Well why dont all you guys get off your lazy asses and climp 100 feet up in the air to work on electricity and risk your life, thats right sit behind your desk and keep talking shit.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

FirstEnergy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
double bill (Jan '14) Jan '14 H Sig 1
FirstEnergy hydroelectric statio... (Nov '13) Nov '13 ndact 1
Lawsuit against FirstEnergy claims wrongful ter... (May '08) Aug '13 pam 3
Closing of Western Pennsylvania power plants le... (Jul '13) Aug '13 Joe 2
Pipeline To Be Built Within Mile Of Nuclear Plant (Nov '12) Nov '12 Greg 1
Nuclear Cracks Tied to Lack of Coating (Mar '12) Mar '12 Dan 1
Sierra Club celebrates power plant shutdowns (Feb '12) Feb '12 Mike R 1
More from around the web