FirstEnergy's Ohio Residential Customers Getting 2 Low-Electricity Use Light Bulbs

Full story: WJW Fox 8 Cleveland

FirstEnergy Corp. plans to provide nearly 4 million low-energy light bulbs to its residential electricity customers in Ohio.
Comments
1 - 20 of 32 Comments Last updated Oct 14, 2009
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
bjm

Franklin, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2009

Judged:

i already have the bulbs why am i paying for them again! this isn't right! how dare you steal my money
send the bulbs back

Warren, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2009

Judged:

Let's do the math. The Akron Beacon Journal said that 4 million light bulbs will be distributed to 2 million customers which get charged $21.45 over 3 years. This equates to 42.9 million dollars in
that First Energy stands to make over the next 3 years minus the cost of the Chinese, tee shirts, bags and bulbs. I thought the PUCO was there to watch that Energy companies do not over charge customers and only approve rate hikes when necessary. I think we should send all 4 million bulbs back to John Paganie vice president of First energy and see what he does with the 2 million bulbs. First energy can pay for the disposal fees.

PS: I haven't had a 100 watt bulb in my house since the Carter energy crisis.
Matthew

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2009

Judged:

Some lawyer should file a class action lawsuit. There is no way this can be legal. We use florescent lightbulbs in most of the house. A few rooms do not have them, is it as annoying to wait for 30 seconds for them to fully activate. A few other places, don't have them because they won't work in the socket, or it is to cold (garage). However most rooms in the house do have florescent bulbs especially the rooms that lights are kept on for a long period of time.
The Z in Royalton

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 6, 2009

Judged:

This new tactic by the gov't to force their agenda on the public is pure stupidity. Since they can't figure out how to salvage the 50% of transmissions they are wasting they foist the problem and cost, once again, on the consumer. First just because you mandate and force these things on every household, doesn't mean they will be used... so where is the energy savings? 2nd - what ever happened to free choice in this country even when it comes to something as simple as a light bulb. What's next - will the sewer patrol be coming around to see what kind of toilet tissues I'm flushing and supply me with their recommended brand at an overinflated price.
I don't know about anyone else - but we intend to return this unwanted "gift" and I will not pay for something I did not order.
OMG

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Judged:

This is one of the Democrooks biggest phoopa's. Cap and Trade is coming natiionally soon enough. If you think this is a BIG ripoff just wait. your wallet will be emptied.

President of the Ohio Senate Capri Cafaro was the major sponsor of this legislation. Remember that when you vote next election.
OMG Jr

Warren, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Judged:

We don't want your steenking Light bulbs
We don't want your steenking Healthcare
We don't want you hussein bite me
We don't want Cap and Tax
We don't want a VAT Tax
We don't want yo carbon footprint
We don't want Globaloney
Little Tyree

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

jmg

Ashtabula, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Judged:

I heard that if one of these bulbs break , you need to call hazmat or the local fire depsrtment due to mercucy contents inside. Are they going to set up recycling bins to collect them when they are no longer operational? Is First Energy going to pay for the hotel stay if one burst and gets on the furniture or rugs? who's going to pay for that?

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Judged:

jmg wrote:
I heard that if one of these bulbs break , you need to call hazmat or the local fire depsrtment due to mercucy contents inside. Are they going to set up recycling bins to collect them when they are no longer operational? Is First Energy going to pay for the hotel stay if one burst and gets on the furniture or rugs? who's going to pay for that?
Here ya go:

http://www.snopes.com/medical/toxins/cfl.asp

http://www.epa.gov/mercury/spills/index.htm#f...

Google can be your friend.
MARK IN AMHERST

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Judged:

I ENCOURAGE ALL TO SEND BACK THE BULBS "POSTAGE DUE RETURN TO SENDER." I'M TYING A BRICK TO MINE TO INCREASE THE POSTAGE DUE.
THIS WILL CERTAINLY HELP THE FINANCES OF OUR POSTAL SYSTEM, AND SEND A MESSAGE TO SOMETHING WE DON'T WANT TO BE FORCED TO DO!
ScottyBoy

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Judged:

It seems to me that this action by First Energy is illegal. Does it not violate consumer protection as detailed under the Ohio Administrative Code 109:4-3-11?

“Lohio Bound”

Since: Oct 07

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Judged:

Wow. A company distributes devices and suggestions that potentially reduce the amount of product they sell to consumers.

Huh.
RevRhubarb

Chagrin Falls, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Judged:

I have the new HealingLightBulb** in stock for FREE*

-
*Remit $44.95 P & H
**Not intended to cure, prevent or treat any disease. Consult your physican if you are allergic to GammaRays.
Little Tyree

Cleveland, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Judged:

I once paid MayFong $40.00 - American Green - to "light the ole bulb"!
JamesG

North Royalton, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Simply outrageous! The program may be "approved by state regulators," but I did not order or request that merchandise and I do not wish to pay for it. Do I smell a class action lawsuit? Normally I don't participate but I just may make an exception here. Forget it, First Energy... I'll do my own shopping, thank you very much.
Larry titus

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Judged:

The concept is good. However, price gouging and entrapment are unacceptable.
Chief W

Erie, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Judged:

I allready use these bulbs,and I sure didn't pay what they want to charge us.Nothing but a legal way to rip-off the customer(us).Most stores you can get five 15 watt bulbs for under $10.But to forced to be in this program is not right.You can bet your bottom dollar,FirstEnergy will make a killing on this program.
reddy kilowatt

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Judged:

Chief W wrote:
I allready use these bulbs,and I sure didn't pay what they want to charge us.Nothing but a legal way to rip-off the customer(us).Most stores you can get five 15 watt bulbs for under $10.But to forced to be in this program is not right.You can bet your bottom dollar,FirstEnergy will make a killing on this program.
i don't like this bulb thing either but if you think for a minute that a state mandated power conservation program is going to bring profit to any electric company well i got the title to the y bridge and i want to sell it to you cheap.
Sara M

Akron, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 7, 2009

Judged:

I am not in need of any of these light bulbs, especially for more than they cost in the store. On top of that they are sending 100 watt equivilant bulbs. I buy the lowest watt energy light bulb to use, so using the ones they supply would actually cost more!
RevRue

Chagrin Falls, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Oct 8, 2009

Judged:

Help!! Ive fallen and my light bulb burned out.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent FirstEnergy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
double bill (Jan '14) Jan '14 H Sig 1
FirstEnergy hydroelectric statio... (Nov '13) Nov '13 ndact 1
Lawsuit against FirstEnergy claims wrongful ter... (May '08) Aug '13 pam 3
Closing of Western Pennsylvania power plants le... (Jul '13) Aug '13 Joe 2
Pipeline To Be Built Within Mile Of Nuclear Plant (Nov '12) Nov '12 Greg 1
Nuclear Cracks Tied to Lack of Coating (Mar '12) Mar '12 Dan 1
FirstEnergy plans job fair (Jan '08) Mar '12 Former Nuke 24

Search the FirstEnergy Forum:
•••