Experts debate electricity rates

The complex topic of restructuring electricity rates in Ohio came to Akron on Friday as a panel of experts debated the subject in front of the Akron Press Club. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
hunt

Cleveland, OH

#24 Jul 31, 2009
On the Grandfathered rates - it looks like First Energy / Ohio Edision was able to throw them out. Now they are thousands of households paying nearly double we were paying. The rate has gone from 4.0 kWh to 7.41 kWh for the month of July. Ohio Edision has been raising the rates for the last 3 months. First Energy never had trouble making money when it was regulated. Now peolpe in Ohio are being screwed just like other states that de-regulated. I feel sorry for the older people this winter when they open up their bills. They probably don't notice as much now, but they will. So much for trying to rebuild Ohio - just another reason it will continue to go downhill.
Utility Tom

Elyria, OH

#25 Jul 31, 2009
Level The Playing Field wrote:
<quoted text>
1) My Company? I'm a rate payer not an employee.
2) The blackout was caused by a software/server crash the federal report was released about a month ago.
3) You are confusing distribution dollars with generation dollars they are not the same you obviously have no understanding of the utility industry!
3) The market exists and is thriving. Ohio is going to Market in January of 2009 weather you like it or not. The law is already in place (Senate Bill 3).
4) You are the one that is simultaneously confused or misinformed, and self-righteous - I agree your characteristics are a dangerous combination.
5) I'll but my life savings you represent big industry or a large commercial entity…trying to subsidize your business by residential customers and small commercial stores. You should be ashamed of yourself you dirty capitalistic pig!
Its obvious that you work for or represent a large utility. I worked for a large Ohio electric utility now for almost 40 years. In the decade of the ninties they suspended a huge percent of their maintenance and tree trimming. They used the money to fund their gas transmission business and their power wheeling business and to purchase another large electric company.

They let the system run down and laid off numerous people and didn't replace any actual maint. or construction workers. By the year 2000 they distribution and transmission facilites were in terrible shape. They are now trying to catch up on the construction and some on maintenance

If it hadn't been for de-regulation and their lust to become another Enron not of it would have happened.

Starting in the early ninties we older employees could not believe what was happening to the company.

Never trust a utility to market based rates as they will shaft you every time. This company still gives employees a fat bonus every February and then poor mouths to the PUCO.

State regulation is the only way to go.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

FirstEnergy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
double bill (Jan '14) Jan '14 H Sig 1
FirstEnergy hydroelectric statio... (Nov '13) Nov '13 ndact 1
Lawsuit against FirstEnergy claims wrongful ter... (May '08) Aug '13 pam 3
Closing of Western Pennsylvania power plants le... (Jul '13) Aug '13 Joe 2
Pipeline To Be Built Within Mile Of Nuclear Plant (Nov '12) Nov '12 Greg 1
Nuclear Cracks Tied to Lack of Coating (Mar '12) Mar '12 Dan 1
FirstEnergy plans job fair (Jan '08) Mar '12 Former Nuke 24
More from around the web