Penelec announces job cuts in region

Penelec announces job cuts in region

There are 7 comments on the GoErie.com story from Mar 3, 2009, titled Penelec announces job cuts in region. In it, GoErie.com reports that:

A week after announcing quarterly profits had grown 24 percent, FirstEnergy Corp., Penelec's corporate parent, has announced plans to trim its payroll.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at GoErie.com.

mrkihn

Chambersburg, PA

#1 Mar 4, 2009
Delaying $500 million worth of capital investments planned for 2009.
More power outages coming ??
American

Canton, OH

#2 Mar 4, 2009
with what they charge the customers and the security deposits for new applicant they should be alright....Lower the utility rates and see what can happen!. a average bill for a month anymore is 90-100.00 and that is just to run your fridge and put the electricity from the box into your home.
....Ever check your bill for all the extra charges you are billed every month???
asdf

Erie, PA

#3 Mar 4, 2009
American wrote:
with what they charge the customers and the security deposits for new applicant they should be alright....Lower the utility rates and see what can happen!. a average bill for a month anymore is 90-100.00 and that is just to run your fridge and put the electricity from the box into your home.
....Ever check your bill for all the extra charges you are billed every month???
uh...you don't think demand is down as compared to before the recession? less demand means less sales means less money. hence layoffs.

if you think the cost is bad now...wait till 2011 when rates are going to increase 50% or more....plus add obamas proposed carbon taxes to that, and well, let's just say it isn't going to get cheaper anytime soon.
CRANK

Erie, PA

#4 Mar 4, 2009
Maybe my kids can use their degrees to become candlestick makers.
Ecdysiast

United States

#5 Mar 4, 2009
Yeah, demand is way down. I can't afford to turn on my AC vibrator any more.

Also, if we have weather related power troubles-- say a wind storm blowing downed, live wires around in your front yard-- it will only take them about three days to get to it. That's overkill in anybodies book. Internationally the average is much higher. In Bangladesh, for example, it can take a week. Even in Paraguay they take over two days. We just expect too much! I think that one guy with pliers and a hand cart for every 3 million customers is probably about right. Penelec is well on it's way to "right sizing"!
here we go

United States

#6 Mar 4, 2009
Layoffs and rate hikes? Yikes! Can the public take any more hits??
StupidLiberals

United States

#7 Mar 4, 2009
$3.00 to $4.00 A DAY is CHEAP for your electrical convienence!

MOST of you would find something wrong about a free meal....

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

FirstEnergy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
double bill (Jan '14) Jan '14 H Sig 1
News FirstEnergy hydroelectric statio... (Nov '13) Nov '13 ndact 1
News Lawsuit against FirstEnergy claims wrongful ter... (May '08) Aug '13 pam 3
News Closing of Western Pennsylvania power plants le... (Jul '13) Aug '13 Joe 2
News Pipeline To Be Built Within Mile Of Nuclear Plant (Nov '12) Nov '12 Greg 1
News Nuclear Cracks Tied to Lack of Coating (Mar '12) Mar '12 Dan 1
News FirstEnergy plans job fair (Jan '08) Mar '12 Former Nuke 24
More from around the web