Oil-extraction method also could reduce greenhouse gas | The Columbus Dispatch

Carbon dioxide produced by FirstEnergy's W. H. Sammis power plant along the Ohio River could be injected underground to force more oil out of old wells. Full Story
First Prev
of 3
Next Last
Ohio Lawyer

Columbus, OH

#43 Jun 13, 2011
ohio lawyers asst wrote:
<quoted text>
You and the boss (aka 'reader') should get a room.
Now now, Zoe. Stop lying to people and use your name like a good little swine.
The OH Life

Columbus, OH

#44 Jun 13, 2011
If this pans out, this would be huge for the state... more tax revenue and jobs. Of course the Sierra Club has to put its two-cents in and doubt any technology that has to deal with fossil fuels.
Dan

Columbus, OH

#45 Jun 13, 2011
reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an ignorant schmuck.
Thanks.
Glad ripping on me could make you feel a little better about yourself!

If you agreed with me I'd start to worry. lol
Dan

Columbus, OH

#46 Jun 13, 2011
DrC Ohio wrote:
<quoted text>
There has been such a concerted effort by oil, gas, and coal companies to distort the truth and promulgate lies about what is happening to our climate. The fact the hottest years on record have all been recent and that sea ice is melting at a rapid rate, and there are more damaging storms all point to climate change.
First - hottest years on record? not even close. It's not even the hottest in terms of what people have written down records for (and that's such a tiny part of the earth's history it's not really worth talking about is it?)

We know that the planet has been MUCH hotter. We know that at least half the time the plant spends with ZERO ice. It's called an ICE AGE because ICE is not always on the planet. The planet heats and cools. We have ice caps and we don't. THAT is geological fact. Rather we want to believe we have anything to do with it or not is up to us. But the plant has good millions of years WITHOUT ice at much warmer temps well before man came along.

DrC Ohio wrote:
<quoted text>
But you will never hear that on the news. I know it is hard to point to one event (i.e. tornado) and say that is because of climate change, but you can look at a pattern and say climate change is happening.
sure it is... has for MILLIONS of years... rather we are around or not
earth climate is NOT static... never has been and never will be
DrC Ohio wrote:
We know climate change is happening and it will get worse before it gets better.
nothing WE can do to STOP the climate change...it's what the planet does
but it is cute that some people think we can change things by using less fuel!
it's like an Ant thinking he can stop a avalance by putting a grain of dirt on top of another!
DrC Ohio wrote:
Unfortunately, with all the misinformation and very few politicians willing to take a stand for what is right, we are screwed.
Absolutely!
people pretending we could STOP the planet from ending the latest ice age is too funny

Again... we can all leave the planet and stop ALL carbon emmissions... and the ice age will still end and the ice caps will still melt
oh
and hundres or thousands of years later
the ice will be back and we'll start the thing over!
welcome to Earth
NanMaster

Columbus, OH

#47 Jun 13, 2011
Wow....how come the oil companies can't use carbon dioxide on the shale fields...instead of that toxic 'propritary' mix of chemicals that ruins the local aquifers?
DrC Ohio

Columbus, OH

#48 Jun 13, 2011
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
First - hottest years on record? not even close. It's not even the hottest in terms of what people have written down records for (and that's such a tiny part of the earth's history it's not really worth talking about is it?)
We know that the planet has been MUCH hotter. We know that at least half the time the plant spends with ZERO ice. It's called an ICE AGE because ICE is not always on the planet. The planet heats and cools. We have ice caps and we don't. THAT is geological fact. Rather we want to believe we have anything to do with it or not is up to us. But the plant has good millions of years WITHOUT ice at much warmer temps well before man came along.
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
it's like an Ant thinking he can stop a avalance by putting a grain of dirt on top of another!
<quoted text>
Absolutely!
people pretending we could STOP the planet from ending the latest ice age is too funny
Again... we can all leave the planet and stop ALL carbon emmissions... and the ice age will still end and the ice caps will still melt
oh
welcome to Earth
Sorry, but I'll take the National Academy of Science's view over yours any day. Heck, even the Bush administration acknowledged global warming is happening. Your view gives the right an excuse not to take responsibility. You are on the wrong side of this one!
Dan

Columbus, OH

#49 Jun 13, 2011
DrC Ohio wrote:
<quoted text>
Sorry, but I'll take the National Academy of Science's view over yours any day. Heck, even the Bush administration acknowledged global warming is happening.
It's very confusing to me that you read my post and think anywhere I said Global warming isn't happening.
My entire post was about how the earth is warming up and will contiune to warm up... until all ice is gone... just has it has done countless times over it's life!

THAT is the key.

Left - Global warming is caused by man!

Me - Ah no it's not

Left - so you say global warming is not happening

Me - it's happening - again - but man has such a minimul effect on it one way or the other

Left - so you deny Global warming!

sigh
DrC Ohio wrote:
Your view gives the right an excuse not to take responsibility.
responsiblity for the current ice age coming to an end?
the right only WISHES they had that type of power! lol
Dan

Columbus, OH

#50 Jun 13, 2011
BTW - National Academy of Science indeed

anyone old enough to remember the 1970s and the National Academy of Science putting out warnings about Global COOLING?

I'm sure if they had been around they'd tell us how dumb we were for thinking the earth was round and NOT the center of the universe!
DrC Ohio

Columbus, OH

#51 Jun 13, 2011
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
It's very confusing to me that you read my post and think anywhere I said Global warming isn't happening.
My entire post was about how the earth is warming up and will contiune to warm up... until all ice is gone... just has it has done countless times over it's life!
THAT is the key.
Me - Ah no it's not
Me - it's happening - again - but man has such a minimul effect on it one way or the other
sigh
<quoted text>
okay... those groups I mentioned before believe that it is our emissions that are driving climate change. Do you want me to get a box of crayolas and spell it out for you! LOL! You are one dense son.
reader

Columbus, OH

#52 Jun 13, 2011
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
THAT is the key.
Me - Ah no it's not
sigh
<quoted text>
You're another pompous jerk who pretends to know more than climate scientists. Who needs science when you can read Glenn Sheller?
ohio lawyers asst

Columbus, OH

#53 Jun 13, 2011
reader wrote:
<quoted text>
You're another pompous jerk who pretends to know more than climate scientists. Who needs science when you can read Glenn Sheller?
Speaking of pompous jerks...
reader

Columbus, OH

#54 Jun 13, 2011
ohio lawyers asst wrote:
<quoted text>
Speaking of pompous jerks...
Yes, Zoe... you are one.
harvey

Columbus, OH

#55 Jun 14, 2011
The OH Life wrote:
If this pans out, this would be huge for the state... more tax revenue and jobs. Of course the Sierra Club has to put its two-cents in and doubt any technology that has to deal with fossil fuels.
More than the Sierra Club doubt fracking. Unless you LIKE the idea of massive above-ground and underground pollution in areas including state parks, huh?

If so, you should move elsewhere.
harvey

Columbus, OH

#56 Jun 14, 2011
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
THAT is the key.
Me - Ah no it's not
sigh
<quoted text>
What you're "pretending" is that humans aren't contributing to that warming, which is the generally-accepted opinion among climate scientists these days. You'll hear a lot of disagreement about that, but only because right-wing political types and energy companies are working non-stop to pump out anti-AGW propaganda so as to protect their jobs and their profits.

FYI
harvey

Columbus, OH

#57 Jun 14, 2011
Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
Absolutely!
oh
welcome to Earth
Care to cite some evidence here, Mr. Science?

1. We're not seeing some of the hottest years on record

2. Earth has been "much hotter" than at present

3. For at least half of Earth's history the planet has been without ice

4. There is nothing we can do to stop climate change

5. We could leave the earth and stop all emissions, and the ice caps will still melt

6. Humans are not in any way affecting global warming

Thanks...
The OH Life

Columbus, OH

#58 Jun 14, 2011
harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
More than the Sierra Club doubt fracking. Unless you LIKE the idea of massive above-ground and underground pollution in areas including state parks, huh?
If so, you should move elsewhere.
If you don't like it, then you pack and move. There has got to be a treehouse for sale somewhere far away from civilization and technology.
Lauri

Dublin, OH

#59 Jun 14, 2011
More oil? Eventually this will run out. Why not spend the money and creativity in finding cleaner energy and get off the oil all together.
harvey

Columbus, OH

#60 Jun 14, 2011
The OH Life wrote:
<quoted text>
If you don't like it, then you pack and move. There has got to be a treehouse for sale somewhere far away from civilization and technology.
Sorry, not letting gas-hog driving morons like you destroy MY state. Get lost.
4my27yroldgirl

United States

#61 Jul 31, 2011
Well, that's a deep subject...
First it was wood and coal and even Whale Blubber,
Yup, I think that we are getting 'there' slowly...

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 3
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

FirstEnergy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
double bill (Jan '14) Jan '14 H Sig 1
FirstEnergy hydroelectric statio... (Nov '13) Nov '13 ndact 1
Lawsuit against FirstEnergy claims wrongful ter... (May '08) Aug '13 pam 3
Closing of Western Pennsylvania power plants le... (Jul '13) Aug '13 Joe 2
Pipeline To Be Built Within Mile Of Nuclear Plant (Nov '12) Nov '12 Greg 1
Nuclear Cracks Tied to Lack of Coating (Mar '12) Mar '12 Dan 1
FirstEnergy plans job fair (Jan '08) Mar '12 Former Nuke 24
More from around the web