Oil-extraction method also could reduce greenhouse gas | The Columbus Dispatch

Full story: Columbus Dispatch

Carbon dioxide produced by FirstEnergy's W. H. Sammis power plant along the Ohio River could be injected underground to force more oil out of old wells.
Comments
21 - 40 of 59 Comments Last updated Jul 31, 2011
harvey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
you know... they aren't so sure about that anymore
In many cases where they drilled and extracted oil and the well "dried up" they have gone back to find the well "full" again. It seems... like so many things... modern thinking just isn't right... and we don't know why!(but clinging to the "oil is not renewable... period" like clinging to the "earth is flat" won't change reality)
<quoted text>
Human arrogance wants to believe that we control what's going on... sadly... or happily... we don't. The amount of carbon the entire human population puts out there is so small compared to what typically happens it's laughable to pretend it's making any difference either way.
ONE nice size vulcanic eruption releases more CO2 that man has in man's ENTIRE EXSISTENCE...
but... it is hard on the ego to admit to ourselves the earth cools and warms over time... even in human history the earth has been MUCH warmer (hence GREENLAND wasn't an ironic name at one point)... the concept of "ice age" MEANS ice advances... then leaves... for millions of years before man was around!
<quoted text>
go for it!
but destroying our country and economy in some misguided attempt to think we humans are more important to the earth and it's environment than we are isn't the way to do it
come up with all the new sources you want
but until they are useful... we need to use what we have!
or learn chineese since THEY will have no problem doing so
You're an ignorant idiot, Dan. Learn to think so that others don't have to do it for you.
Dan

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
Limbaugh-esque as sh ats like you, who characterize anyone you disagree with (or should I say, HE disagrees with) as some sort of 'nazi' are utterly clueless idiots incapable of thinking for yourselves.
I'm sure that thinking is, in fact, a complete mystery to you.
look that's irony there... you call him out for calling names then call him a name

BOTH sides are long on rhetoric and name calling and short on answers... which is WHY they call names! They have no answers!
Dan

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
You're an ignorant idiot, Dan. Learn to think so that others don't have to do it for you.
I see your points... no wait you don't have any.

You just call people who don't agree with you names. That makes things easy I suppose.
Dan

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
Limbaugh-esque as sh ats like you, who characterize anyone you disagree with (or should I say, HE disagrees with) as some sort of 'nazi' are utterly clueless idiots incapable of thinking for yourselves.
I'm sure that thinking is, in fact, a complete mystery to you.
harvey wrote:
<quoted text>
LOL

this only applies to everyone else? not you?
classic
John

New York, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

American Joe wrote:
Now wait a minute shouldn't we destroy all CO2 ? Outlaw all carbonated drinks?
The tuffy will be how do we get people to stop exhaling?
Really! What are plants going to breath?
Given

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

Ohio's plethora of
STILL unmapped abandoned underground mines,

documented NE earthquakes from previous repuke-led injection fracturing,

even while having project plans that reside in known
sinkhole areas,

to name just a few REG FLAGS.

Ohioans are NOT AMUSED at these planners GLEE nor it's UNSUSTAINABLE DIRECTION.
reader

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

DrC Ohio wrote:
<quoted text>
I agree the top priority should be energy efficiencies, wind, and solar. However, they are not up to broad utility scale yet. I don't think they will be for another couple of decades. So the question is what do we do with all that CO2 that is burned from coal fired power plants? They are already doing CCS in Norway, North Dakota, and Michigan. As for the cost effectiveness, I think it depends on far the CO2 has to travel to get to its destination.
Agree that wind and solar will take time to ramp up. And I agree that we need to test sequestration. The ugly fact is that we're going to need to do everything under the sun if we're going to prevent a full blown climate catastrophe (see the Princeton Environmental Institute's "wedges" exercise, which shows the scale of the effort that will be required.)

Like Mr. Kanfer, I am skeptical about sequestration, and I hate to see the public get the notion there are simple answers. Americans have no idea what is happening -- thanks to a well funded campaign by some very ugly people. But yes we need to know if sequestration will be one tool of many we need. Hansen warns we must stop all emissions from coal plants relatively soon. Americans have no idea what the stakes are.
reader

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
you know... they aren't so sure about that anymore
In many cases where they drilled and extracted oil and the well "dried up" they have gone back to find the well "full" again. It seems... like so many things... modern thinking just isn't right... and we don't know why!(but clinging to the "oil is not renewable... period" like clinging to the "earth is flat" won't change reality)
<quoted text>
Human arrogance wants to believe that we control what's going on... sadly... or happily... we don't. The amount of carbon the entire human population puts out there is so small compared to what typically happens it's laughable to pretend it's making any difference either way.
ONE nice size vulcanic eruption releases more CO2 that man has in man's ENTIRE EXSISTENCE...
but... it is hard on the ego to admit to ourselves the earth cools and warms over time... even in human history the earth has been MUCH warmer (hence GREENLAND wasn't an ironic name at one point)... the concept of "ice age" MEANS ice advances... then leaves... for millions of years before man was around!
<quoted text>
go for it!
but destroying our country and economy in some misguided attempt to think we humans are more important to the earth and it's environment than we are isn't the way to do it
come up with all the new sources you want
but until they are useful... we need to use what we have!
or learn chineese since THEY will have no problem doing so
You're an ignorant schmuck.
TeeEmUp

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
LOL
classic
Don't mind him Dan... Harvey's just bitter because he showed up late for the latest SEIU flash mob gig.

Since: Nov 10

Location hidden

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

If we had a way to bottle all of the toxic gas that comes from our politicians mouth, we wouldn't need to harm the envioronment or rely on whack jobs in the middle east for energy.
DrC Ohio

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

reader wrote:
<quoted text>
Agree that wind and solar will take time to ramp up. And I agree that we need to test sequestration. The ugly fact is that we're going to need to do everything under the sun if we're going to prevent a full blown climate catastrophe (see the Princeton Environmental Institute's "wedges" exercise, which shows the scale of the effort that will be required.)
Like Mr. Kanfer, I am skeptical about sequestration, and I hate to see the public get the notion there are simple answers. Americans have no idea what is happening -- thanks to a well funded campaign by some very ugly people. But yes we need to know if sequestration will be one tool of many we need. Hansen warns we must stop all emissions from coal plants relatively soon. Americans have no idea what the stakes are.
There has been such a concerted effort by oil, gas, and coal companies to distort the truth and promulgate lies about what is happening to our climate. The fact the hottest years on record have all been recent and that sea ice is melting at a rapid rate, and there are more damaging storms all point to climate change. But you will never hear that on the news. I know it is hard to point to one event (i.e. tornado) and say that is because of climate change, but you can look at a pattern and say climate change is happening.

One of the things that scares me is as the arctic sea ice melts it opens up shipping channels. Those ocean going vessels use some of the dirtiest fuel around. It will increase the melting.

I've seen the wedge game and think it does a good job of putting different technologies into perspective. The thing I don't like about it (if I recall the game correctly) is it limits the amount of wedges you can play and their size. But, I agree that the tipping point will be hear soon (if it isn't already). We know climate change is happening and it will get worse before it gets better. Unfortunately, with all the misinformation and very few politicians willing to take a stand for what is right, we are screwed.

In regard to CCS, it can't be done just anywhere and it needs to be monitored. I do think it is legit and can be part of the solution while we transition away from coal.
Given

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

Ohio's plethora of

sinkhole areas,

ohio lawyers asst

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

DrC Ohio wrote:
<quoted text>
There has been such a concerted effort by oil, gas, and coal companies to distort the truth and promulgate lies about what is happening to our climate. The fact the hottest years on record have all been recent and that sea ice is melting at a rapid rate, and there are more damaging storms all point to climate change. But you will never hear that on the news. I know it is hard to point to one event (i.e. tornado) and say that is because of climate change, but you can look at a pattern and say climate change is happening.
One of the things that scares me is as the arctic sea ice melts it opens up shipping channels. Those ocean going vessels use some of the dirtiest fuel around. It will increase the melting.
I've seen the wedge game and think it does a good job of putting different technologies into perspective. The thing I don't like about it (if I recall the game correctly) is it limits the amount of wedges you can play and their size. But, I agree that the tipping point will be hear soon (if it isn't already). We know climate change is happening and it will get worse before it gets better. Unfortunately, with all the misinformation and very few politicians willing to take a stand for what is right, we are screwed.
In regard to CCS, it can't be done just anywhere and it needs to be monitored. I do think it is legit and can be part of the solution while we transition away from coal.
You and the boss (aka 'reader') should get a room.
Dave Carter

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Given wrote:
Ohio's plethora of
sinkhole areas,
the earthquakes were minor so relax. We need to focus on money first and the environment last.
Rob

Grove City, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

Yeah, let's let Johnnie Boy decimate Ohio with oil and gas "projects".

Then watch his "pet companies" sell the stuff to China.

This has begun in Pennsylvania, where Johnnie got his "idea" in the first place.

No worry, they're only predicting natural gas costs to rise by 20 or 30%...
DrC Ohio

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

ohio lawyers asst wrote:
<quoted text>
You and the boss (aka 'reader') should get a room.
You are just jealous you don't have the intellectual capacity to keep up. I'll try using crayons next time so you can understand it.
harvey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
look that's irony there... you call him out for calling names then call him a name
BOTH sides are long on rhetoric and name calling and short on answers... which is WHY they call names! They have no answers!
I don't believe I've called anyone a "nazi," Danny boy, and I certainly reserve the right to insult anyone conducting themselves as the poster in question did.

Don't like it? Go cry to someone who cares.
harvey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

TeeEmUp wrote:
<quoted text>Don't mind him Dan... Harvey's just bitter because he showed up late for the latest SEIU flash mob gig.
It'd be a pleasure to show up to support the SEIU, T-ball. I would have no problem with that at all.

Heh
harvey

Columbus, OH

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

Dan wrote:
<quoted text>
<quoted text>
LOL
classic
They apply to Buck-a-Schmuck and you, respectively. Not to "everyone else," no.

Your stupidity is classic, Dan, as is your dishonesty.
SAL

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 13, 2011

Judged:

First, to "Dave Carter": "The earthquakes were minor" ...? Guess that's why they had to stop using those wells in the Guy, Arkansas area. Please educate yourself, Dave, and develop a little skepticism about things you read.

"Energy companies have injected carbon dioxide into old oil fields in Texas and California for decades. The gas increases the pressure underground ... "

Quoting the Dispatch above, this is NOT a minor problem, folks! Continue this, and you're risking destabilizing the ground beneath us, and let's remember that the New Madrid Fault quakes reach out horizontally through many states, unlike West Coast quakes. The residents of Guy were totally freaked, and the area is still experiencing diminishing quakes. The geologists who minimized this phenomenon ... well, guess who they worked for?

The jury may still be out on the CO2, but watch the film "Gasland" for some hair-raising (and losing) aspects of letting the energy companies run amuck in their experimentation. A lot of people are suffering because of the fracking thing ... maybe this is less harmful, but can we chance it, especially considering the geologically destabilizing aspect?

You could see this as a "bridge" to the future of cleaner energy. What I see is that energy companies want our help in disposing of their waste products ... not unlike when the aluminum companies cleverly developed the idea of selling THEIR waste product, fluoride, to our municipalities for the "health" of our teeth. Anyone up-to-date on this issue will tell you that many cities are legislating out the fluoride (and saving money to boot), because of some nasty side-effects of that mineral.

Again, watch "Gasland," even though it's about natural gas fracking. It will explain how costs of extraction are deceptive, when you factor in all the truck trips and other hidden expenses. It becomes an expensive enterprise, and enormously more polluting than the public relations reps would have us believe.

Talk about squeezing the toothpaste tube dry!

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent FirstEnergy Discussions

Search the FirstEnergy Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
double bill (Jan '14) Jan '14 H Sig 1
FirstEnergy hydroelectric statio... (Nov '13) Nov '13 ndact 1
Lawsuit against FirstEnergy claims wrongful ter... (May '08) Aug '13 pam 3
Closing of Western Pennsylvania power plants le... (Jul '13) Aug '13 Joe 2
Pipeline To Be Built Within Mile Of Nuclear Plant (Nov '12) Nov '12 Greg 1
Nuclear Cracks Tied to Lack of Coating (Mar '12) Mar '12 Dan 1
FirstEnergy plans job fair (Jan '08) Mar '12 Former Nuke 24
•••
•••