Excitement Builds for Extreme Build - Regional News - Berks Story -...

Full story: WFMZ 23
The ABC reality TV show "Extreme Makeover: Home Edition" was in Berks County Wednesday asking for help. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
james andrews

Bath, PA

#1 Jul 21, 2010
how can i help out
and where will this be at
Reading Girl

Mertztown, PA

#2 Jul 21, 2010
james andrews wrote:
how can i help out
and where will this be at
check out this site to fill out form www.berksextremebuild.com
They haven't announced where yet, they will on the 29th. I have an idea but can't wait to see if I am correct.
Hmmmmmmmm

Reading, PA

#3 Jul 22, 2010
hope they have all their permits in order
builderssquare

Philadelphia, PA

#4 Jul 22, 2010
I'm sure a project like this has no stones unturned, includng the permitting. This isn't a rinky-dink jack-of-all-trades Reading handyman putting up the home. Wishing success and satisfaction to all involved.
Jim

Whitehall, PA

#5 Jul 22, 2010
I think that it is a good thing that someone will benefit from all the free help to build a house, but don't forget this is a television show which makes millions for a popular show, so they are taking advantage of many people that could be paid, especially considering how many people are out of work and need money for a job performed.

Extreme Makeover Home Edition should pay people who give their time.
the skeptic

Chicago, IL

#6 Jul 22, 2010
I think it's ridiculous that this TV show makes millions off the backs of free labor...
shelley

Whitehall, PA

#7 Jul 22, 2010
its nice to see something nice to happen to the city of reading instead of shotings and people getting arrested for drugs we can do better and help people out the need it
Berks County

Birdsboro, PA

#8 Jul 22, 2010
Has Extreme Makeover Home Edition seen the PA Dutch Berks Countians work ethic? It's like watching a PennDot crew work. Better allow for ALOT of extra time ...
Lehigh Valley Chica

West Chester, PA

#9 Jul 22, 2010
This is wonderful for the area, I hope many people in the community and the area rally together and get er done! Always a rewarding and positive experience when you volunteer your time for a good cause.
Kindered

Mount Bethel, PA

#10 Jul 22, 2010
This is wonderful that a family in need will be getting a new start, but the only question some people have is "are they going to build a home that this family can afford when they are finished". Sometimes they go a little overboard and some of the families have lost their homes, that is the only thing that scares some of us.
Wayne

Allentown, PA

#11 Jul 22, 2010
What a cheap way to make a television show that makes millions for the network...
Mongo

Reading, PA

#12 Jul 29, 2010
shelley wrote:
its nice to see something nice to happen to the city of reading instead of shotings and people getting arrested for drugs we can do better and help people out the need it
not going to be in the city of reading; it would interfere with the all day party for some the neighbors.
Deby

Allentown, PA

#14 Jul 31, 2010
Thank you for coming to Tilden Township, Pa and making a dream come true. We need hope.
TildenResident

Hamburg, PA

#15 Aug 1, 2010
Yes, it is nice to see someone receive help BUT you have to remember there were many fundraisers and donations made which allowed her to purchase "everything" back from the estate. Now more? It was their choice to purchase that home ... it's been needing repairs for many, many years (probably for as long as she is old).
I'd love to see a final total of monies donated/spent. Wouldn't it have been much more gratifying to have helped many families? What an impact and statement that could have made. I know of several stories no different than hers. They choose NOT to run to the media and blast their story ... does that mean they are less deserving? No. She was lucky ... Christian Leinbach, Berks Commissioner, lives across the street form her. Conveniently his family builds homes. Probably belong to the HBA also.
You think it's wonderful ... try living here right now. What I'd like to know is if EHMHE is going to fix property damage that has been done to neighboring properties because of this. Bet no one volunteers for that!
Crystal R

Woodlyn, PA

#16 Aug 1, 2010
there are pro's and Con's to every situation. I'm gald to see a family in need get help, but it is a shame to see the neighboors deal with all the noise, and yard disturbance. Truly there are thousands of people in the area that are in need of help, and they can't all be helped at 1 time. My family is struggling too. my house is from 1890 i live here 10 yrs made alot of improvements, but this past winter my husband got sick, i'm ready to loose my cars, and have no health insurance to pay $22000 in hospital bills.... the only thing the rest of us can do is Pray and remember to keeping giving from our hearts and maybe 1 day it will get a return on the investment
TildenResident

Hamburg, PA

#17 Aug 1, 2010
Reading Girl wrote:
<quoted text>
check out this site to fill out form www.berksextremebuild.com
They haven't announced where yet, they will on the 29th. I have an idea but can't wait to see if I am correct.
Cat was out of the bag in the local area for quite a while. Was a dead giveaway when they ran a new power line and put a new pole at her house a week prior to this starting.
TildenResident

Hamburg, PA

#18 Aug 1, 2010
Crystal R wrote:
and have no health insurance to pay $22000 in hospital bills....
The hospital you owe to should be able to help you apply for assistance to get that paid. My g-friend owed $78,000 for a medical emergency she had. Unfortunately now she falls under that "pre-existing" clause and cannot get insurance. I don't know anyone that can afford $1,200+ a month for insurance. It is a sad state we are in and something needs to change.

I just hope this woman can afford to pay her new tax bill OR this home will fall prey like so many others have from this show.
Heynaah

Newmanstown, PA

#19 Aug 1, 2010
TildenResident wrote:
Yes, it is nice to see someone receive help BUT you have to remember there were many fundraisers and donations made which allowed her to purchase "everything" back from the estate. Now more? It was their choice to purchase that home ... it's been needing repairs for many, many years (probably for as long as she is old).
I'd love to see a final total of monies donated/spent. Wouldn't it have been much more gratifying to have helped many families? What an impact and statement that could have made. I know of several stories no different than hers. They choose NOT to run to the media and blast their story ... does that mean they are less deserving? No. She was lucky ... Christian Leinbach, Berks Commissioner, lives across the street form her. Conveniently his family builds homes. Probably belong to the HBA also.
You think it's wonderful ... try living here right now. What I'd like to know is if EHMHE is going to fix property damage that has been done to neighboring properties because of this. Bet no one volunteers for that!
yes it is nice to see someone win the lottery but-
A sin to see them rip the 300 year old log home down for a 7 day throw up. If the historical commission were aware this would have stopped- of course the animosity between the conservancy and the Builders Assoc is well known. The Builders made sure no owrd got out-and...
Guess who closed Old 22 in front of Lienbach's house- the infamous Tilden Township supervisors who apparently made the decision outside of the normal chain of command and never told PennDOT. Right now there are at least two PSP and one sheriff sitting at each end of their detour- who pays for this- this show makes millions- why does the rest of the community have to be detoured- for 10 days?? and pay for it!!!

TildenResident

Hamburg, PA

#20 Aug 1, 2010
Heynaah wrote:
<quoted text> Guess who closed Old 22 in front of Lienbach's house- the infamous Tilden Township supervisors who apparently made the decision outside of the normal chain of command and never told PennDOT. Right now there are at least two PSP and one sheriff sitting at each end of their detour- who pays for this- this show makes millions- why does the rest of the community have to be detoured- for 10 days?? and pay for it!!!
I agree with you. Not to mention the amount being spent on Barta running back and forth. This is all taxpayers $ being wasted. Christian Leinbach was on the local news saying this is a "community" project and was almost proud to say it was taxpayers dollars at work. I say bring all the spectators through Hamburg to see roads that are so bad you can barely steer down the main street, brand new roads sittng not being used, closed bridges, etc. Not to mention trying to get in and out of Hamburg on I-78. Maybe if a bus load of people almost get hit it'll make a difference.

The HBA admitted in one of their videos that because the historical value couldn't be authenticated the house could be torn down. AND we all know that there is a very key person involoved in the building industry and the conservancy. Conflict of interest if you ask me ...

I think a lot of people fail to realize that this is not only a home BUT also all new animal sheds, pasture, silo, etc. Start reading people! If you're really struggling to make ends meet, do you need the added expense of large animals?

Now there is a flag football fundraier to boot on Aug. 2? Gheesh, when does it stop. I have not donated, I have not volunteered, nor do I plan to do either. Help the community as a whole and I will.
I LL TELL YOU WHAT

Allentown, PA

#21 Aug 1, 2010
Why is it called the "Berks" makeover and not "Tilden" or "Hamburg"? we should get some credit for suffering through this- Guess its just the southern end of the county screwing us again- they like to call us rednecks but they are always up here-

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

FirstEnergy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
double bill (Jan '14) Jan '14 H Sig 1
FirstEnergy hydroelectric statio... (Nov '13) Nov '13 ndact 1
Lawsuit against FirstEnergy claims wrongful ter... (May '08) Aug '13 pam 3
Closing of Western Pennsylvania power plants le... (Jul '13) Aug '13 Joe 2
Pipeline To Be Built Within Mile Of Nuclear Plant (Nov '12) Nov '12 Greg 1
Nuclear Cracks Tied to Lack of Coating (Mar '12) Mar '12 Dan 1
FirstEnergy plans job fair (Jan '08) Mar '12 Former Nuke 24

FirstEnergy People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE