Dollar General Profit Soars as Shoppe...

Dollar General Profit Soars as Shoppers Seek Value

There are 12 comments on the www.reuters.com story from Jun 2, 2009, titled Dollar General Profit Soars as Shoppers Seek Value. In it, www.reuters.com reports that:

Dollar General Corp DG.UL reported a sharply higher quarterly profit on Tuesday, as cost-conscious consumers flocked to the discount retailer's stores for bargains in the recession.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.reuters.com.

“Troll Warrior”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#1 Jun 2, 2009
More great news for Crest Hill's economy, especially with the hike to our sales tax.
Crest Hill worker

Plainfield, IL

#2 Jun 4, 2009
iScooter wrote:
More great news for Crest Hill's economy, especially with the hike to our sales tax.
So whats your point?

“Troll Warrior”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#3 Jun 5, 2009
Crest Hill worker wrote:
<quoted text>
So whats your point?
The economy is down, and people are looking for a deal. Dollar General offers deals, and they pay sales taxes to Crest Hill.

Crest Hill will raise its sales tax, and get more money into their general fund.

You will get a new little red truck to drive.

:-)
Crest Hill Worker

Plainfield, IL

#4 Jun 5, 2009
iScooter wrote:
<quoted text>
The economy is down, and people are looking for a deal. Dollar General offers deals, and they pay sales taxes to Crest Hill.
Crest Hill will raise its sales tax, and get more money into their general fund.
You will get a new little red truck to drive.
:-)
Yep that sounds good then,,maybe I can have Ipod insert in the new little red truck.

Do you hear the joke, I"ll meet you at the dollar store in Crest Hill, response is, Which One..

New Mayor or not we are still a joke- I don't know if he can turn things around, at the last City Meeting he said that he couldn't attend a meeting at the County because he had to work that day- I wonder how many times over the next four year will we hear that.....Less than a part time Mayor.

Understand I hope he does well, because our City will get some respect and that helps our schools, people would like to shop here then.
DG employee

Hancock, MD

#5 Jun 5, 2009
THat's great that we are making so much money maybe the employees will see some of that, oh wait I think it's time to give 1 million away to a customer, sorry what was I thinking it's hard for me to see with all the crap that higher ups keep pooping on me. More money for employees, oh man am I funny.
Austin Texas Guy

AOL

#6 Jun 14, 2009
I own three of those stores! Horray!!
tamcon

United States

#7 Jun 15, 2009
I hope you are not saying you own 3 DG's. Thats not possible.

“Troll Warrior”

Since: Jan 09

Location hidden

#8 Jun 15, 2009
tamcon wrote:
I hope you are not saying you own 3 DG's. That's not possible.
Have you been to Crest Hill?
Crest Hill Worker

Plainfield, IL

#9 Jun 15, 2009
Use to be Romeville & Rockdale were the local jokes- no - longer it Crest HIllbillies-

I take the pay check, but forget about living here.

I know its a blue collar town. but damn when attending a city meeting dress up some, your on TV, no tee-shirts ok
Austin Texas Guy

AOL

#10 Jun 15, 2009
tamcon wrote:
I hope you are not saying you own 3 DG's. Thats not possible.
I do, why do you say "not possible"
DOG-ral

Pittsboro, IN

#11 Feb 24, 2011
I had a horrible shopping experience at DOLLAR GENERAL in the new store in a small town. Several days ago I bought stuff there and they gave me a receipt-coupon for "Spend $20 get $5 off", a time limited offer. Tonight I went there at 8:38 PM (they close at 9 PM). There was not a single person in the store except the cashier and the seemed to be a Mr. Manager. They did not tell me they close soon nor they told me anything while I shopped there. Then when I was sure I had $20 worth of goods in my basket (I thought I had something like $21 in my basket) I went to the cash register and she rang and i gave her $20 bill because the total was $20.02 and I said there you go I get a $5 off and presented the coupon to her. The manager came and he told me I can't get $5 off because I have not purchased for $20. They apparently were not ready to give discounts to guys (me) who fail in arithmetics at school! He said the $20 must be pre-tax. OK I said I will get a couple more things, but he said he can not reverse the transaction. Perhaps those are the Rules, but they could be a little more flexible. So I told him I need the $5 cash to buy gasoline, so I can't purchase that stuff full price, but I said I will buy just SOME of the stuff and leave some. He told me I can't do that, they won't do that, then he told me it is already late and I told him I came in at 8:38 PM and they did not say a word to me that the store will close soon. Then he showed me a watch it was 9:15 PM and I suppose I shopped there for half hour or so, so I said I'm sorry customer always wrong, he was unhappy and told me he will give my money back, although I said I still need the stuff, he told me it can not be reversed as he already started the refund process, then I said I will just buy some of those and he said no, because they are already closed (with a customer still inside), but suddenly he told me he can not refund my money because he needs my ID my driver license, and I told him its in my car, he told me go get it, he opened the door, I then remembered that I left my DL at home (shit my bad), about 1/2 mile away from the store, he told me I could get a Police ticket for that, I told him to relax, no big deal, although of course I AM WRONG ALL THE WAY! I felt like a criminal, buying for $19.70 not making for the $5 discount and the total was $20.02 which I thought was fine, so for the difference of those $0.30 they could just make an exception and I could buy from them a LOT MORE in the future, and I already shopped there 3 times before, but NO he insisted to a NO and lose a customer because of 30c and all that other shit. So I said you are hurting your company's name and I will not shop there anymore and he told me that will be fine. Again. I am wrong, but the whole coupon thing sounded like a complicated GIMMICK. They got me, they can't refund because my DL is at home! Sorry! never happened before! I guess I ran excited to get a $5 off, which I was going to use to buy gasoline for my lawnmower. I was stuck there, I was hanging there for minutes not knowing what to do, because they got my money they won't sell me goods, they will not refund because I got no ID on me and they will not sell to me again because the damn store is NOW CLOSED!!! So I thought well all you got to do is to call the police and get me a ticket so I can get my money back and go home from this fucking new store with no customers! Then he finally decided to give my money back and I still thought I should still buy but oh well, not, they are closed, as they said, then fock it and I left. That's it.
DOG-ral

Pittsboro, IN

#12 Feb 24, 2011
P.S. $DOG told me I can not reuse that coupon even if they never scanned it into the system. They simply threw it away and did not give it back to me.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Family Dollars Stores Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Dollar General's Family Dollar campaign said to... (Sep '14) Sep '14 954shopper 2
News Analyst: Odds of Dollar General bid for Family ... (Aug '14) Aug '14 nofoolnomore 1
News Dollar Tree buying Family Dollar for $8.5 billion (Jul '14) Jul '14 john 1
News Dollar Tree, Inc. (DLTR), Dollar General Corp. ... (Jun '13) Jun '13 Carolyn Glenn 1
News 6 Retailers: An Evaluation Of Growth + Income (Jan '12) Jan '12 A buck or 2 1
News Food, cell-phone sales boost profit at Family D... (Apr '07) Jan '12 Spring 19
News Supreme Court lets stand $36 million Family Dol... (Nov '09) Jul '11 Done 4
More from around the web