Ford Motor to accelerate downsizing

Ford Motor to accelerate downsizing

There are 20 comments on the Newscom story from Sep 11, 2006, titled Ford Motor to accelerate downsizing. In it, Newscom reports that:

Ford Motor Co. plans to accelerate its downsizing, first with more voluntary buyout packages and then with involuntary severance packages, a report says.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newscom.

bush

Montmorenci, IN

#1 Sep 11, 2006
You guys need to bend over its coming fast & hard & theres no stopping it,good luck selling the toys,wife,kids,good luck on the house,or maybe living in the hummer.
Crestwood

AOL

#2 Sep 11, 2006
Hopefully ALL the bad employees are the ones that go first. Salary and hourly. Let's make it like a Survivor Game. I work at FORD and would love to vote off some real LOSERS I work with. Most of the employees at my plant are Best of the Best, but we have some real LOGS that come to work sometimes. Let's get rid of them. I love my job and FORD. I am proud to say I work at the best automotive company in the world. I am proud to be FORD.
Jon Allen

Indianapolis, IN

#3 Sep 11, 2006
bush wrote:
You guys need to bend over its coming fast & hard & theres no stopping it,good luck selling the toys,wife,kids,good luck on the house,or maybe living in the hummer.
I finish my law degree in 2 months that ford mo co. paid for. Quit whining about our benefits and call on your employer to do more. If it was not for the UAW building our war machine we would all be spaeking Italian or German. your jealousy is quite apparent in your statement. why don't you quit being mad about how we do and try and do something for your family, by the way if I do lose my jon, I probably made more this last year than you have in the previous 5
Eric

Louisville, KY

#4 Sep 11, 2006
I can't understand how anyone can get enjoyment out of hearing that some people may lose their jobs. When working americans lose their jobs at this type of number 40,000. It will affect more than that 40,000 people. The automobile industry employs more than just the people that work at the
automobile manufacturing plants. There are suppliers and vendors all of which will be hurt by these closures and layoffs. I just wish people could put their petty jealosy aside and see that this is not only bad for some, but bad for America.
Bob

Richmond, VA

#5 Sep 11, 2006
I hope you can all find jobs and get on with your lives. Lets talk about this BEST thing. I will never buy another Ford Moter Co. vehicle again ever.
ghostwriter863

Westland, MI

#6 Sep 11, 2006
I work for Ford Motor company and will probably lose my job, thats how it goes sometimes, Ford and the UAW together allowed me to accomplish some things over the past few years that I would not have been able to do otherwise.
I still have confidence in Ford products and will probably always buy them.
The only other thing I can say is BUY AMERICAN! When you buy American, America works, when you buy foreign products, foreigners work and America loses more jobs. We continue to our own worse enemies and then try to defend it with talk of costs, competitiveness and quality and productivity.
Americans are the most productive workers in the world, just ask the Japenense. America cant be competitive in labor costs mainly due to insurance, the only industrialized nation that doesnt have single payer health care. The quality of American products is second to none, its the cutting corners for costs savings that ruins a company's quality.
How much more do we have to lose before we as consumers and Americans realize that a non working America is a doomed America?
Think about it people.
George

Richlandtown, PA

#7 Sep 12, 2006
I have always purchased american made vehicles, until now. While looking for a new SUV, I purchased a KIA for the 10 year,100,000 mile warranty. Besides american vehicles are no longer made in the USA, but out sourced to other countys. If you have a better product, people will come back, if not, then say good bye.
Theresa

Lees Summit, MO

#8 Sep 12, 2006
Jon Allen wrote:
<quoted text>I finish my law degree in 2 months that ford mo co. paid for. Quit whining about our benefits and call on your employer to do more. If it was not for the UAW building our war machine we would all be spaeking Italian or German. your jealousy is quite apparent in your statement. why don't you quit being mad about how we do and try and do something for your family, by the way if I do lose my jon, I probably made more this last year than you have in the previous 5
Your use of the English language overwhelms me "Mr. law Student." I just hope you don't lose your "jon" either.
Tom

Pickerington, OH

#9 Sep 12, 2006
George wrote:
I have always purchased american made vehicles, until now. While looking for a new SUV, I purchased a KIA for the 10 year,100,000 mile warranty. Besides american vehicles are no longer made in the USA, but out sourced to other countys. If you have a better product, people will come back, if not, then say good bye.
And I suppose you'll keep that KIA ten years. If so, your are a rare American. True alot of American cars aren't 100% American made but the men and women that rely on their pensions are. But who cares right? You got 10 years / 100,000 miles right. Have a good life my fellow American
Tom

Pickerington, OH

#10 Sep 12, 2006
Eric wrote:
I can't understand how anyone can get enjoyment out of hearing that some people may lose their jobs. When working americans lose their jobs at this type of number 40,000. It will affect more than that 40,000 people. The automobile industry employs more than just the people that work at the
automobile manufacturing plants. There are suppliers and vendors all of which will be hurt by these closures and layoffs. I just wish people could put their petty jealosy aside and see that this is not only bad for some, but bad for America.
Good to see everyone isn't short sighted. Most are as sheep. They go through live following the crowd and getting trampled at Walmarts. They cry that their elected officials don't listen to them and they re elect them time and time again.Give them soap operas and the home shopping network,televised sports and Fantasy Island to fill their small lives and they'll behave as predicted.They run out and buy a car that advertises 10 year/100,000 miles but keep it only 3 years.They want better fuel mileage but run their imports doing 90 down the freeway.I say our # 1 problems as Americans is we've forgotten we're Americans,United We Stand,Divided We Fall
bush

Montmorenci, IN

#11 Sep 12, 2006
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>And I suppose you'll keep that KIA ten years. If so, your are a rare American. True alot of American cars aren't 100% American made but the men and women that rely on their pensions are. But who cares right? You got 10 years / 100,000 miles right. Have a good life my fellow American
One of these days you wont have a pension ether.
bush

Montmorenci, IN

#12 Sep 12, 2006
Tom wrote:
<quoted text>Good to see everyone isn't short sighted. Most are as sheep. They go through live following the crowd and getting trampled at Walmarts. They cry that their elected officials don't listen to them and they re elect them time and time again.Give them soap operas and the home shopping network,televised sports and Fantasy Island to fill their small lives and they'll behave as predicted.They run out and buy a car that advertises 10 year/100,000 miles but keep it only 3 years.They want better fuel mileage but run their imports doing 90 down the freeway.I say our # 1 problems as Americans is we've forgotten we're Americans,United We Stand,Divided We Fall
No id have to say the uaw has brought alot of this on you,for gods sake look at your own job bank,a bunch of bums setting around doing puzzle books & reading newspapers & collecting 90% of their pay.Now ask why toyota & honda is eating your lunch.
ghostwriter863

Farmington, MI

#13 Sep 12, 2006
bush wrote:
<quoted text>No id have to say the uaw has brought alot of this on you,for gods sake look at your own job bank,a bunch of bums setting around doing puzzle books & reading newspapers & collecting 90% of their pay.Now ask why toyota & honda is eating your lunch.
I posted this in another forum but feel its appropriate here.

"I work for Ford Motor Company and will probably lose my job, that's how it goes sometimes, Ford and the UAW together allowed me to accomplish some things over the past few years that I would not have been able to do otherwise."

I still have confidence in Ford products and will probably always buy them. The hourly people who make the products are hard working and quality minded, more than can be said about the people who manage the business.

Here's a news flash for those of you who are blaming the UAW for the downfall of domestic auto makers.....

Ford, Dcx and GM run their business, PERIOD.

The companies don't consult with the UAW about design, research and development, marketing, engineering or any other aspect of THEIR business.

IF, as others have claimed on this forum, that there are lazy workers, or absent workers, or any other kinds of workers that are pulling these companies down, that is a problem that the company should address and take care of, period.

The problem you say is the fat contracts, yea, and each of those companies sat down at a bargaining table and agreed to terms, just like if you as an individual went in and agreed to terms of pay and benefits for your self. No real difference, except the UAW bargains for the hourly people. Itís called a contract, just like buying a care or a house, there are terms and conditions that each party AGREES to, and accepts and then signs on the dotted line.

If the companies have it so bad, they shouldn't agree to terms that they canít live with, period.

The real problem is when a judge throws out parts of an AGREED TO CONTRACT. A judge, an appointed judge, who has salary, insurance, and pension for life! Maybe we should do away with life time appointed positions for govt. employees, huh.

Complacent? I agree. These companies have been complacent for way to long, not looking and planning ahead for 50 to 100 years, just planning for a season or two down the road, I feel really bad them and their management who all have multi million dollar salaries for losing market share and ruining the companies image.

Quality: I agree. Like outsourcing to other cheaper companies to save money and reduce costs. Like the part that caused the largest recall in Fords history, an OUTSOURCED part, I wonder how much they saved? Just another BAD management decision.

Productivity. I agree. Report after report concurs, there isn't a more productive work force any where in the world, and the United States has the most productive work force in the world. Don't believe me though, ask the Japanese, that's one of the reasons they build plants here, that and the HUGE TAX breaks they get to "create" jobs.

While we are on that subject, lets not forget the resources in this country, the land is #1, thereís not much land that can be built on in Japan, nor are there huge TAX incentives from other countries that don't have an educated manufacturing base already intact.]

Hey, letís talk about "protected markets". In Japan, 98% of the cars and trucks sold are manufactured in Japan, 95% are Korean manufactured in Korea, is it because of quality, no, guess again, its called "managed trade" or in other words, protectionism.

Those countries know that if they keep their people working, their economy does well; too bad we haven't copied that trait from the Japanese and Koreans.
Tom

Pickerington, OH

#14 Sep 12, 2006
bush wrote:
<quoted text>One of these days you wont have a pension ether.
Ya, I'll be dead. Thanks for pointing that out Einstein
dabs

Dallas, TX

#15 Nov 28, 2006
Do any body remember Pearl Harbor. Am naual station attacked without warning by the Japanese kill thousand of American Service MAN and you still buying their cars.How dare you. Chinese and Korean trying too point nuclear weapons at us.
dabs

United States

#16 Dec 15, 2006
dabs wrote:
Do any body remember Pearl Harbor. Am naual station attacked without warning by the Japanese kill thousand of American Service MAN and you still buying their cars.How dare you. Chinese and Korean trying too point nuclear weapons at us.
WHAT NO REPLY.
FredFlynnStone

Kansas City, MO

#17 Apr 11, 2007
dabs wrote:
<quoted text>WHAT NO REPLY.
I just wish Ford would pay their tax load they owe to the village. Then maybe I could afford a Ford, but considering where a portion of their advertising dollars go, I'd probably consider a SmartCar (google it).
EnterYourName

Thiensville, WI

#18 Sep 3, 2007
FredFlynnStone wrote:
<quoted text>
I just wish Ford would pay their tax load they owe to the village. Then maybe I could afford a Ford, but considering where a portion of their advertising dollars go, I'd probably consider a SmartCar (google it).
Smart Cars rock, why is Ford still bowing to the gay community? It's starting to cripple Ford. You just wait.
TacoWanda

Kansas City, MO

#19 Nov 19, 2007
EnterYourName wrote:
<quoted text>
Smart Cars rock, why is Ford still bowing to the gay community? It's starting to cripple Ford. You just wait.
uh huh

Since: Feb 07

Village of Claycomo, MO

#20 Jun 21, 2010
What's the latest!!!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Motor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
2012 f150 5.0L Jan '18 pnelson 1
News Ford Decision Cements Mexico as 'Front Line' fo... (Jan '17) Jan '18 jake 2
News Ford drops axe early on Freestar minivan (Jan '07) Dec '17 Paul 3
News Oro Blanco Fuel Could Have Nearly Unlimited Pro... (Apr '17) Apr '17 Joe1938 1
News Carson's Ford dealership shuts down (Jan '08) Apr '17 jeff 39
News Reggae icon Joseph Hill of Culture dies (Sep '06) Jan '17 USS LIBERTY 22
GM and Ford Contributions to America In World W... (Apr '09) Jan '17 yidfellas v USA 12