Ford Motor Company and the case of th...

Ford Motor Company and the case of the Chinese official's hat

There are 7 comments on the Michigan Radio story from Oct 14, 2011, titled Ford Motor Company and the case of the Chinese official's hat. In it, Michigan Radio reports that:

In 1992, Ford Motor Company sent McKee to China to head a Ford components company.A A At the time, very few ordinary Chinese owned cars.A A A Cars were a perk for bureaucrats.A That same year, the Chinese government decided to replace their Chinese-made limousines with Western-style cars.A A A Shanghai Automotive Industry Corporation was told toA ... (more)

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Michigan Radio.

Ruiping Dong

United States

#1 Oct 17, 2011
David McKee opened Ford's Opportunities in China. President Hu Jintao awarded David McKee a gold medal and named David "A China Automotive Pioneer" for his work in developing China's Automotive industry.
Richard Thomas

United States

#2 Oct 18, 2011
Great to get an insight on the history of China's automotive history. McKee must have impressed the he'll out of the Chinese to have them honor a foreigner and give him a medal and a title! Way to go Mr McKee.
GKL Chen

United States

#3 Oct 18, 2011
Fascinating background on Ford Motor's history in China. Too bad about the Taurus losing out to Buick, but I can see how a Chinese official could hit his head getting intoi the back seat of the old Taurus four door car. I would guess that McKee earned his gold medal from the contribution in those early days.
Christina Newman

United States

#4 Oct 19, 2011
Excellent Michigan NPR report! I have learned that Ford has a long history working the China market. I am wondering if GM or Chrysler had someone like McKee who was recognized by China as a major contributor in helping them get started? I do believe the Buick was challenged by Volkswagen with the Audi, made at the First Auto Works? Who won that one?
Christina Newman

United States

#5 Oct 19, 2011
Christina Newman wrote:
Excellent Michigan NPR report! I have learned that Ford has a long history working the China market. I am wondering if GM or Chrysler had someone like McKee who was recognized by China as a major contributor in helping them get started? I do believe the Buick was challenged by Volkswagen with the Audi, made at the First Auto Works? Who won that one?
Only two foreigners we're so honored: McKee of Ford Motor and Mr Neaughman of Vokswagen. They were both the head of their companies in the 1990's.
JH Ming
Biejing
S Bigalow

United States

#6 Oct 19, 2011
If Ford had the existing Mulally "One Ford" business plan with leading edge products, McKee would have had an easier time of it. Ford will be aa winning competitor in China from here on out, I believe.
Trace Wagoner

Chattanooga, TN

#7 Oct 22, 2011
The new Ford will soon Catch GM and others in China and Asia in general. You gotta love the pioneers. China had high ambitions and must have treasured this Ford pioneer.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Motor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Ford Decision Cements Mexico as 'Front Line' fo... Jan 3 tomin cali 1
Ford took biggest government bailout in history (May '09) Dec 29 Tci1979 21
News Ford confirms shift of Focus manufacturing to M... Sep '16 Actual Science 1
Ford Fiesta 2012 - Axle replacement and Suspens... Aug '16 Anonymous 1
Help with my ford ranger Jul '16 Andrew16 1
News Ford, GM tie staff bonuses to quality (Apr '14) Jul '16 Bonus-Alert 6
Engine swap (Jun '16) Jun '16 David 1
More from around the web