Chrysler, Ford hit as sales weaken

Chrysler, Ford hit as sales weaken

There are 11 comments on the News.moneycentral.msn.com story from Aug 1, 2006, titled Chrysler, Ford hit as sales weaken. In it, News.moneycentral.msn.com reports that:

Chrysler Group and Ford Motor Co. on Tuesday reported steep declines in July vehicle sales, a drop expected to cost both U.S. automakers share in a weaker market overshadowed by concerns about fuel efficiency ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at News.moneycentral.msn.com.

Scutter

Glendale, CA

#1 Aug 1, 2006
The American automobile companies have been very poorly run by short sighted CEOs who refused to see the handwriting on the wall years ago. Years ago it was clear the SUVs had had their run and had peaked in popularity and, on top of that, with world fuel demand increasing quickly, gas prices would soon rise making fuel inefficient cars a hard sell. Instead of making a change over towards a more fuel efficient fleet to be ready for it, they just blithley stumbled forward while looking at LAST quarters sales, never thinking more than a year down the road. They scoffed at Toyota for investing in Hybrid technology (a technology which they had developed 20+ years ago and then sold the rights away to the Japanese) as investing in a fad. And scoffed at the Japanese investments toward smaller cars in general. Now they have to license the hybrid technology from the Japanese, invest in smalller car lines and lay off thousands of American workers. It's not the Japanese's or other foreign countries fault for the loss of American jobs in the auto industry, it's the idiot short sighted leadership of the American companies. They have no one to blame but themselves.
Just An Observer

Oscoda, MI

#2 Aug 1, 2006
Just wait......Toyota is going down the same road, since they are now wanting to build bigger trucks and SUV's. The vehicles that made Toyota what is is today, are not the cars that Toyota wants to build. They want to compete with the American car market, and they can't do that with a tiny, little pickup truck. The Japanese car companies are all wanting to build humungous vehicles now. It will catch up with them. I know Chrysler is going to have trouble eventually, also. They want to build bigger trucks that Ford or GM, and bigger SUV's. Gas guzzlers are going.
Scutter

Glendale, CA

#3 Aug 1, 2006
Fair enough. The difference is though, that Toyota has a much broader product line. Yes they sell the big SUVs but they also sell the Hybrids and compacts, not to mention the whole Scion line. Other compaines are as equally diverse. But American Car companies are not. The ceeded the compact and fuel efficent lines largely to the competition and their main product is now larger Sedans, SUVs, and large scale Pickups. So, as gas prices rise, they get hit the hardest. Meanwhile, Toyota is likely to become the worlds largest car company this year or next, passing up GM.
Just An Observer

Oscoda, MI

#4 Aug 1, 2006
If they pass up GM, so what? GM still wants to build huge SUV's. They saw the writing on the wall, people advised them, and they still cannot admit they are wrong about the public, and the cars they design. They have one fuel efficient vehicle---the AVEO. How's that for competition? Not going to get them very far. Oh.....yeah that's right. They're hitching onboard with the French. That'll save "em. I'm from Detroit, but I care less. GM is absolutley the ignorant to the needs and wants of the buying public. Ford better design some fuel efficient cars also, or they're going the same way as GM. As far as Toyota, personally, nothing they design appeals to me. Really. Not an elite car company. I'll look around.
Guzzler

Schaumburg, IL

#5 Aug 2, 2006
Maybe you haven't seen the commercial for the new Suburbans with the engine that runs on 8 cylinders, then drops to 4 when cruising? What are families with many children supposed to do with tiny cars? How am I supposed to pull a camper with a tiny engine? It's true that too many soccer moms have SUVs when they could be using a minivan if it weren't so uncool, then again, after I bought a custom-programmed PCM for my Suburban, I get gas mileage just 2 MPG less than my minivan. Keep building the big trucks and make them run better!
podunk

Brentwood, CA

#6 Aug 2, 2006
Cafe standards need to be raised to at least 32mpg in the next 5 years. China has a minimum 30 mpg.

Guzzler you are livin in the past.

Ford is actually the most enlightened of our dinosaurs but a dinosaur none the less.

Wake up or be darwinized.
Just An Observer

Oscoda, MI

#7 Aug 2, 2006
Jurassic Park......here we come!
John

Chesterfield, MO

#8 Aug 3, 2006
Guzzler wrote:
Maybe you haven't seen the commercial for the new Suburbans with the engine that runs on 8 cylinders, then drops to 4 when cruising?
Yea! On the 3/4 ton, this cool tech lets their fuel economy soar from a paltry 14 mph city all the way up to 18 mpg on the highway! Rock on. Before we know it, the Middle-East is going to groveling to the West just to buy a sip of oil...
John

Chesterfield, MO

#9 Aug 3, 2006
podunk wrote:
Ford is actually the most enlightened of our dinosaurs but a dinosaur none the less.
Oh no, not at all. For all the bad press GM's been getting, Ford's actually in a lot more trouble. This last quarter's fiscal report is just the start - it'll be much more abundently obvious by this time next year.
truther

Sterling Heights, MI

#10 Apr 12, 2011
nothin to say here

Since: Jan 10

Taylor, MI

#11 Apr 12, 2011
truther wrote:
nothin to say here
I am the Truth, you are a false birther

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Ford Motor Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Reggae icon Joseph Hill of Culture dies (Sep '06) May 20 Diamond platnumz ... 20
News Ford is prepping a long-range electric vehicle ... Apr 28 Solarman 1
Ford took biggest government bailout in history (May '09) Apr '16 Sam1 20
parts interchanges on 1993 ford 460 and 1990 42... Apr '16 mwright1 1
Ford testing Jan '16 Lantz s 1
News Microsoft hopes new, old leaders can rekindle m... (Feb '14) Dec '15 Anonymous 2
News Ford to spearhead car of the future Dec '15 Pete 1
More from around the web