Entergy files plan to catch up on nuclear decommissioning funds

Full story: Brattleboro Reformer

Entergy Corp. is $236 million behind in its investments to pay for the eventual shutdown of its two nuclear plants in Louisiana, and the company has asked the Louisiana Public Service Commission for permission to increase rates so that customers can make up the shortfall.
Comments
1 - 6 of 6 Comments Last updated Jan 24, 2010
What-Me-Worry

Arlington, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

Can't help but wonder just how much more money is going to be needed to decommission the VY site now that we've learned there is a radioactive plume of tritium underground and about to leave the site.

Anyone care to take a guess? Here's a hint....it will probably cost a hell of lot more.
Whit

Rochester, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

Here's the real kicker: The stock market, in 20 years, may totally crash. The dollar may see hyperinflation too. Perhaps they should be required to store the decommissioning funds in a basket combining an array of world currencies with precious metals? The US stock market's overall rise over the last century has been in a period where America was the dominant economy on the planet. If it no longer is, in 20 or 40 years, the stock market may reflect that. And if climate change starts to wreck the global economy, the stock market may reflect that too. Stocks are far too risky for decommissioning funds to depend on their value.
Fake-Rob Williams

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 9, 2010

This morning the newspapers in and around New York are carrying stories about an inadvertent 600,000 gallon release of tritium-laced steam over the Hudson Valley. What is the Federal safe level for inhaled tritium? Anyone? In the meanwhile, here's the full story as well as my "Ten Handy Evacuation Safety and Sanity Tips." http://fakerobwilliams.blogspot.com/2010/01/t...
Fake-Rob Williams
Are You There, God? It's Me, Fake-Rob Williams<
TNB

Memphis, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 10, 2010

If the Vermont legislature would vote next week to close VY in 12 and could over ride the Govenor's veto, think of all the time,energy money and weeping,wailing and gnashing of teeth that could be saved or avoided. Plus,the number of ignorant and idiotic posts on this subject would diminish and eventually end.
Karen

Williston, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2010

TNB wrote:
If the Vermont legislature would vote next week to close VY in 12 and could over ride the Govenor's veto, think of all the time,energy money and weeping,wailing and gnashing of teeth that could be saved or avoided. Plus,the number of ignorant and idiotic posts on this subject would diminish and eventually end.
The governor cannot veto any vote that the legislature takes on the relicensing of VY.
Karen

Williston, VT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 24, 2010

The Governor cannot veto any vote that the legislature makes on the relicensing of Vermont Yankee.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Entergy Discussions

Search the Entergy Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
S&WB taps New Orleans capital projects director... (Jan '14) Jan '14 setup 1
Entergy Provides Preliminary Third Quarter Earn... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Fukushima Radiati... 1
Entergy Corp. (ETR) Updates FY13 Earnings Guidance (Oct '13) Oct '13 Fukushima Radiati... 1
Entergy Recognized as Worldwide Leader in Clima... (Oct '13) Oct '13 Fukushima Radiati... 1
Nuclear power plant in Mississippi emits smoke ... (Sep '13) Sep '13 BDV 2
VY still lobbies for new license (Oct '10) Oct '12 Mike Mulligan 134
Troubled Michigan nuclear plant shut down for m... (Apr '12) Apr '12 BDV 1
•••
•••