950 AM Rochester To Ditch Air America...

950 AM Rochester To Ditch Air America in favor of a Sports Channel

There are 19 comments on the Rochester IMC story from Jul 30, 2008, titled 950 AM Rochester To Ditch Air America in favor of a Sports Channel. In it, Rochester IMC reports that:

The Entercom Marketing Results Group is planning a format change in about a half dozen of its radio stations in the near future, including WROC .

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Rochester IMC.

Fairport, NY

#1 Sep 2, 2008
i hope you punks go out of business..who ever is running this joint should shitcanned

Holley, NY

#2 Sep 3, 2008
I gotta agree. We already have one 24 hour sports station here. What in the hell do we need another. So you drop a progressive radio station just to clutter up the market a bit more. Ridiculous.

Spencerport, NY

#3 Sep 3, 2008
Why in the world would you get rid of the ED Schultz show? Entercom is probably owned by some ultra right wing group who just want to silence the voice of progressives. We already have enough 24 hour sports stations.

Saint Paul, MN

#4 Sep 4, 2008
Ridiculous and dissapointing.

Batavia, NY

#5 Sep 4, 2008
Mike wrote:
Ridiculous and dissapointing.
In the mist of one of the most historic elections that will change our country forever, you guys change format. It's got to be a Right Wing owned company. I hope you see the light before it's too late!

Webster, NY

#6 Sep 4, 2008
Ridiculous and dissapointing are too polite in describing how I feel about the cancellation of Air America. Why can't there be balance, the Rush Limbaugh show is still running on 1180. There needs to be some balance of thought and different point of views shared on the airwaves.

Rochester, NY

#7 Sep 7, 2008
Or it could be that nobody listens to 'progressive' radio and as a result they are not making money....and if they are not making money it is tough to run a business.

Rochester, NY

#8 Sep 7, 2008
Reason for the change?.........let's see, maybe ratings? The Air America progressive radio talk format is a joke. Nice move!

New York, NY

#9 Sep 8, 2008
I like Air America, but.... the morning program was awful (Stephanie Miller and some dude?) just wise-ass, sophmoric, "shock value", inane non-sense. Schulz, Hartmann (sp.?), Morrow, are great. But, those crude people in the morning ruin it.

Fairport, NY

#10 Sep 8, 2008
I think this is a great decision. I was angry when Mike and Mike Show was no longer on the air on 1280. Now I have found them on 950 an I am listening in the morning. That is called good business. They were going out of business with the likes of ultra-liberal Air America that no one wants to listen to... We hear the Liberal point of view all day and night from the major networks..I cannot believe you people are talking about a lack of balance. Mainstream media is run by Liberals... It is all people are exposed to! We are tired of it.

Rochester, NY

#11 Sep 8, 2008
The Entercomm pres has supported Hillary (D), Arlen Specter (R), and Joe Sestak (D) in the 2008 political cycle. Sadly, this probably was a business decision and not a political decision. The same company owns WEEI in Boston. Their sports talk hosts are mostly conversatives. Do as Ed Schultz says and support the advertisers if you really enjoy hearing progressive talk.
WROC - A lack of talent

Schenectady, NY

#12 Sep 12, 2008
Typical Rochester, New York at its finest.
This place couldn't run a lemonade stand properly.
Practically everything good (or interesting) that comes to this little "hayseed" town dies after a short period (Jullian's Sport Bar, High Falls, The Canadian Ferry, etc.).
Rochester ( and most of western New York on a whole) is full of a simply "no-talent" local crowd that tries to be "big-town" but can't. With the Rochester economy in total decline, there's simply no money or "crowds" in town anymore to support anything for any great length of time.
WROC could have improved their signal strength and increased its promotion for Air America ... but the local talent running things at WROC are simply
local "hicks" with no "big city" experience to pull this off. WROC should have fired its management and brought in people from the outside who really could make a go of Air America. Instead
they get these locally grown "hayseeds" who are clueless as to how to make anything work like it does at towns equal to Rochester's size.
Rochester's Air America problem is just symptomatic of a problem that has been plaguing
Rochester for years ... a declining population (one of the worst in the U.S.), a local economy in very serious collapse, 20-30 year olds leaving the area in droves, and a serious lack of vision and money investment. Rochester and WROC are just to "poor" and "clueless" as to how to make it in today's world. Look at cities like Columbus, Ohio,(a growing place of similar size compared to Rochester), and they have Air America ... and have been able to make it work there.
Plain and simple ... Rochester New York is a town (not even city), where "D" team talent exists everywhere (not even the "B" or "C" team)... and its never going to be anything more. Never was never will be. Rochester is a place where people dream of becoming a better thriving place but always fall short of that goal. WROC and their handling of Air America are a prime example.
My advice, if you really want to be in a place that offers exciting diversity and is always introducing new opportunities ... move out of Rochester and Western New York as soon as you can.
Rochester, as did WROC's dropping of Air America, will let you down and disappoint you every time!

Mclean, VA

#13 Sep 14, 2008
Most of my views would be considered "conservative", but I still listened to Air America on WROC in Rochester, NY. Frankly, I'm put off by the polarizing rehetoric of both the "right wing" and "left wing" radio talk shows. I listened to WROC to get a little bit of the other side's perspective - although I did find most of the Air America hosts to be pompous - with the exception of Stephanie Miller, who could be funny at times.

That doesn't let Sean Hannity, Rush Limbaugh, Michael Savage or Bill Cunningham off the hook. They are all mean spirited and do not genuinely reflect the views or temperment of the majority of "conservative" people. Like many of the Air America hosts, they often distort the views and statements of "the other side" Their hyperbole is only used by station owners to sell commercials.

It is regretable that Public Radio and PBS TV are left with the best resources now to illuminate the news of the day - although they are heavily and increasingly moving to a "liberal" and even leftist position on most issues.

It is a very sad time for journalism.

Honeoye Falls, NY

#14 Sep 18, 2008
I love Stephanie Miller.WROC SUCKS monkey butt!!!

Rochester, NY

#15 Sep 20, 2008
When I accidently disovered WROC progressive radio a couple of years ago I was so happy! Every station in my house and car was tuned to that station. Bill Press, Stephanie Miller, Ed Shultz (the non-Air America shows), and the Air America team (including Randy Rhodes and Rachel Maddows) were entertaining and educational. I would listen all day. My husband and daughter would listen all day. We would frequent their advertisers. Now... we don't listen at all. Your loss, your advertisers loss, and my loss. What a stupid decision!

United States

#16 Sep 23, 2008
Periodically station licenses come up for renewal. We need to watch for this one. With enough comments, there is a possibility that we can cause them to lose their license. Presently, the best we can do is AM 1520 out of Buffalo.

United States

#17 Sep 28, 2008
How sad and disgusted I was to turn on the car (the channel was always set to Air America)to find sports commentators discussing the HOT sports issues of the day yeeee haw. Anything that is thought provoking is quickly done away with and replaced with trivial mind numbing garbage. God forbid we should be thinking informed citizens of our country. You cant be brainwashed if your informed and that doesnt help their cause.
Tim Ellis

Pittsford, NY

#18 Oct 7, 2008
Extremely disappointed to read this. I've only just moved to this area and spend much of my time on the job doing deliveries. As our truck has no CD player or tape deck, we listen to a great deal of radio. I confess that I'm mighty tired of Sean Hannity and was hoping to find a decent alternative - but it seems I've just missed it.

With luck, another station in the area will pick up Air America.

Pleasanton, CA

#19 Oct 17, 2008
Walt wrote:
<quoted text>
In the mist of one of the most historic elections that will change our country forever, you guys change format. It's got to be a Right Wing owned company. I hope you see the light before it's too late!
I think you mean "in the midst" instead of "mist", but your sentiment is totally correct!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Entercom Communications Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
News Brother Wease still off-the-air, no deal with E... (Jan '08) Aug '09 slammer 978
News Brother Wease still off-the-air, no deal with E... (Jun '08) Nov '08 concerned in Roc 8
News Brother Wease still off-the-air, no deal with E... (Feb '08) Nov '08 Rachel 17
News Kane-O returning to WCMF? (Feb '08) Nov '08 Rachel 22
News Job cuts hit WRKO, WAAF (Oct '08) Oct '08 carol 4
News Fired KY disc jockeys file discrimination compl... (Apr '08) Apr '08 DeppHeadKC 2
News Four fired from KC radio station claim age disc... (Apr '08) Apr '08 DeppHeadKC 2
More from around the web