Chamber says City of El Paso should take over star on mountain

Full story: El Paso Times 38
The Greater El Paso Chamber of Commerce says the star on the Franklin Mountain is such a community icon that the city should take responsibility for lighting it every night. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
NO WAY JOSE

El Paso, TX

#22 Jan 28, 2009
IDEA - Solar Anyone wrote:
Lets See... Anthony Cobos where are you... Solar Anyone..! How about we attach solar panels with photcells near by probably the same cost of a one year operation of O&M on the star. This way it pays for itself if the system is tied to our grid and no one has to "flip the switch" the photocells will do this automatically.. What do you think Anthony Cobos Is this something you can handle I mean you spoke a big game with the SOLAR CONFERENCE... But no outcomes yet eehhh...
THAT MAKES WAY TOO MUCH SENSE, SO NO WAY JOSE!

You obviously don't have a clue how we operate here.
Lango

El Paso, TX

#23 Jan 28, 2009
I remember seeing that star flying over el paso from phoenix to dallas
Lango

El Paso, TX

#24 Jan 28, 2009
I also thought citizens payed for the star on a nightly basis ie anniversary, birthdays, special occasions
Wetsican

El Paso, TX

#26 Jan 28, 2009
PatriotMissile wrote:
I say turn the star off. It's just a beacon pointing north for illegals anyway.
Thats not nice, but I did use it when I came over, lets leave it for my paisanos...
ElPGAL

United States

#27 Jan 28, 2009
Good PR wrote:
<quoted text>
It would be a very good PR move on his part.
That said...what makes you people think that just because someone has money, they are morally obligated to buy you stuff? Furhtermore, when rich people do make donations, there is always someone who says it is not enough and feel no gratitude because "he can afford it" or "he can just right it off" or some othe lame catch phrase...
Sorry to go postal on you but I don't like the attitude that it's OK for poor people to reach into other people's pockets.
No one, not even you needs to buy me anything. And because Mr. Foster has the money and is buying up everything then he should pay for the star. Or do you want to go into business with me and light the star? Get real!
Taxation w-o Illumination

El Paso, TX

#28 Jan 28, 2009
If taxpayers foot the bill, will the people on the west side of ElPaso be exempt since we can't see it?
lol

AOL

#29 Jan 28, 2009
Taxation w-o Illumination wrote:
If taxpayers foot the bill, will the people on the west side of ElPaso be exempt since we can't see it?
brilliant!
PROUD EL PASOAN

El Paso, TX

#31 Jan 28, 2009
IDEA - Solar Anyone wrote:
Lets See... Anthony Cobos where are you... Solar Anyone..! How about we attach solar panels with photcells near by probably the same cost of a one year operation of O&M on the star. This way it pays for itself if the system is tied to our grid and no one has to "flip the switch" the photocells will do this automatically.. What do you think Anthony Cobos Is this something you can handle I mean you spoke a big game with the SOLAR CONFERENCE... But no outcomes yet eehhh...
A group of us recommended this idea about four years ago, when being "Green" was not cool! Today, we can apply for Federal Grants for Solar Projects, this could fund the star indefinitely. Please have the City look into this.

http://www.grants.gov/search/search.do...

http://www.grantkit.org/federal.htm

http://www.federalgrantswire.com/department-o...
Shadow

Phoenix, AZ

#32 Jan 28, 2009
Ill only agree to pay more taxes to keep this thing on IF they remove the inside lights from the star and turn it into a Dallas Cowboys star... otherwise no. lol na im just kidding, I would hate to see this thing go cuz its what makes El Paso El Paso... but if they decide to turn it off then oh well, we can always look at Juarez's mountain :/
Anson Mills

El Paso, TX

#34 Jan 28, 2009
Screw the star! Originally it was only suppose to be lite for the holidays. This city is run by a bunch of morons.
Solution

El Paso, TX

#35 Jan 28, 2009
Simple way to pay for lighting the star.

Add together each household's monthly electric and water bill, the household with the highest bill that month pays for one month.

Next month if they desire not to pay again, they
just decrease their water and electricty use and
someone else pays for a month. Add the administration costs onto the monthly bill and
throw on an extra 10% fee for good measure.

Result, the wastefull rich cats pay for it all!
Mike

United States

#36 Jan 28, 2009
If my memory serves me right, when I was growing up the Star was only lit during the Christmas Holiday.

Why not go to the old system? How expensive can it be to light the star for say one week leading up to Christmas?
Jerry

United States

#37 Jan 28, 2009
PatriotMissile wrote:
I say turn the star off. It's just a beacon pointing north for illegals anyway.
Actually, you may have a point. It used to only be lit for the Christmas season. How 'bout going back to that? That made it special anyway.
Son Puro Chupagallos

El Paso, TX

#38 Jan 28, 2009
As a kid the star used to mean something. It was turned on for the holiday season and we knew Christmas was just around the corner. During the late 70s it remained on during the Iran hostage crisis. As of late it doesn't really mean squat. It is always on. We are not the "Star" City we are the Sun City. Why not revert back to the times when the star symbolized something special and only light it up during the holidays. Memories of the holidays as a kid are what the star reminds me of. Perhaps like most El Pasoans that are too lazy to remove their Christmas lights the City too forgot to remove the holiday lights.
not an ese

Rio Rancho, NM

#39 Jan 28, 2009
El Paso just makes me want to move away everyday says poor city......well babaso.....move.....whats holding you...??? oh....your welfare check......my bad ese.....te watcho.....
ElPGAL

United States

#40 Jan 29, 2009
not an ese wrote:
El Paso just makes me want to move away everyday says poor city......well babaso.....move.....whats holding you...??? oh....your welfare check......my bad ese.....te watcho.....
That's right...I-10 goes east and west. Don't let the door hit you in the arss. Bye-bye loser!

Since: Jan 09

United States

#43 Jan 31, 2009
Does city council need to find a way to get more tax money?

Since: Jan 09

United States

#44 Feb 2, 2009
Letís tax all the prostitutes on Dyer street, they are getting plenty of business from Biggs.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sup Jul '14 tatted up 1
wtf (Jan '14) Jan '14 shygyt 1
Oilman Oscar Wyatt Jr. hospitalized after stroke (Jan '09) Nov '13 Concerned 22
Third of El Pasoans get medical care in Ju rez (Nov '08) Mar '13 Jose Can You See ... 58
Work reunion: Ex-El Paso Natural Gas Co. employ... (Nov '10) Apr '12 Rose Baquera 12
Richard Kinder Irks White House, Kremlin and Wa... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Earl 2
girls that fun (Aug '11) Aug '11 Oscar 2
•••

El Paso People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE

•••