Chamber says City of El Paso should take over star on mountain

Full story: El Paso Times 38
The Greater El Paso Chamber of Commerce says the star on the Franklin Mountain is such a community icon that the city should take responsibility for lighting it every night. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Wake Up El Paso

El Paso, TX

#1 Jan 28, 2009
OK Fine. Spend more. But only if you(City)use eminant domain to take the property. Why should the City pick it up and still not have control of the land?

Who owns this land anyway?
Chamber

El Paso, TX

#2 Jan 28, 2009
What happened? These cheap bastards should maintain the tab on this...
Eddie

El Paso, TX

#3 Jan 28, 2009
Who cares about the star. The least this city should do is pay for it.
Poor city

El Paso, TX

#4 Jan 28, 2009
El Paso just makes me want to move away everyday
truth

El Paso, TX

#5 Jan 28, 2009
Um, no thanks. I'd rather see my tax dollars spent on making the parks nicer for my kids to play at.
Ummm

United States

#7 Jan 28, 2009
If the City pays for it, that means WE pay for it. And, spread across the entire citizenry, the marginal cost to each of us would be extremely minimal. That's one use of my tax dollars I wouldn't mind at all.
Texican

United States

#8 Jan 28, 2009
Let rearrange the lightbulbs and make a huge Anarchy A...
I bet people will make donations to pay for that.
IDEA - Solar Anyone

El Paso, TX

#9 Jan 28, 2009
Lets See... Anthony Cobos where are you... Solar Anyone..! How about we attach solar panels with photcells near by probably the same cost of a one year operation of O&M on the star. This way it pays for itself if the system is tied to our grid and no one has to "flip the switch" the photocells will do this automatically.. What do you think Anthony Cobos Is this something you can handle I mean you spoke a big game with the SOLAR CONFERENCE... But no outcomes yet eehhh...
IDEA - Solar Anyone

El Paso, TX

#10 Jan 28, 2009
Lets get Paul Foster to pay for it he is buying off all the city anyways... With the purchase of more buildings and donations it seems to always get him that really "city seat"... thanks western refining for polluting our air.. wanting to tax gas 2.00 oh and now for Paul he has done nothing but wonders for this community... yeah right.

“Feel The Force”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

#11 Jan 28, 2009
I say turn the star off. It's just a beacon pointing north for illegals anyway.
joseph vitagliano

El Paso, TX

#12 Jan 28, 2009
Couldn't we ask the city council to ask the drug cartels to pay for the star? Seeing they want to legalize drugs sound only fair.
Bill

San Marcos, TX

#13 Jan 28, 2009
God forbid you taxpayers pay for something you can actually see -- higher city rep. pay? Why not??

This is absolutely something the city should pay for - god knows they've used the star on the mountain enough in their own marketing for the city.

Yet another reason why El Paso will remain in the stone age while every other city advances.
Bingo

El Paso, TX

#14 Jan 28, 2009
truth wrote:
Um, no thanks. I'd rather see my tax dollars spent on making the parks nicer for my kids to play at.
Amen. 20K could be put to better use. Besides, what attention has El Paso gotten over this? I am yet to see a report about a "City with a lit start on the side of a mountain" in any of the major news agencies. What would the taxpayer get in return for lighting this star. If anything, they should go back to lighting the star during the holiday season only and not year round.
Crack Dealers

United States

#15 Jan 28, 2009
These guys are like crack dealers...They give you free samples until you're hooked...then they tell you that you have to pay if you want more.
ElPGAL

United States

#16 Jan 28, 2009
Paul Foster should pick up the tab. He has the $$$$
and owns everything else. Thanks, Mr. Foster.
STRELZ

AOL

#17 Jan 28, 2009
I will pay for it. All my family is on the government t i t. I didnt pay my taxes when I had more important things to spend MY MONEY on. I feel its important to give back.
Good PR

United States

#18 Jan 28, 2009
ElPGAL wrote:
Paul Foster should pick up the tab. He has the $$$$
and owns everything else. Thanks, Mr. Foster.
It would be a very good PR move on his part.

That said...what makes you people think that just because someone has money, they are morally obligated to buy you stuff? Furhtermore, when rich people do make donations, there is always someone who says it is not enough and feel no gratitude because "he can afford it" or "he can just right it off" or some othe lame catch phrase...
Sorry to go postal on you but I don't like the attitude that it's OK for poor people to reach into other people's pockets.
Swagger

Pearland, TX

#19 Jan 28, 2009
Looks like EP is full of retards
Henry Quintana III

El Paso, TX

#20 Jan 28, 2009
Before the Chamber had control of it El Paso Electric did. They did a way better job maintaining it and keeping it on every night. Now you look up to see it and its missing bulbs. It just looks choppy and messy. Give it back to El Paso Electric. No one else could do a better job. I guarantee it.
Pass the Buck

El Paso, TX

#21 Jan 28, 2009
We like the light, but don't want to pay. Let the stupid taxpayers pay the bill.

Stupid Taxpayers Unite!

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sup Jul '14 tatted up 1
wtf (Jan '14) Jan '14 shygyt 1
Oilman Oscar Wyatt Jr. hospitalized after stroke (Jan '09) Nov '13 Concerned 22
Third of El Pasoans get medical care in Ju rez (Nov '08) Mar '13 Jose Can You See ... 58
Work reunion: Ex-El Paso Natural Gas Co. employ... (Nov '10) Apr '12 Rose Baquera 12
Richard Kinder Irks White House, Kremlin and Wa... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Earl 2
girls that fun (Aug '11) Aug '11 Oscar 2
More from around the web