Lawmakers say Texas should reimburse El Paso officials for drug...

Full story: El Paso Times

The state should reimburse El Paso law enforcement for providing increased security at Thomason Hospital, which has been forced to treat victims of the raging violence in Juarez, local lawmakers said Wednesday.

Comments

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Gil

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2009

The Mexican government (so called) had promised to pay for the treatment of its citizens here at Thomason. So far the only money received was from the very first victim. Customs and Border Protection officials at the bridge should turn back any and all ambulances transporting gunshot victims for treatment here. Once Thomason states WE THE TAXPAYING CITIZENS OF EL PASO HAVE BEEN REIMBURSED FOR ALL EXPENSES incurred, then and only then should we continue to help them. It may seem cruel, but I'm tired of MY TAXES being raised all the time for services I don't use.
mojados

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2009

So in the end we'll still get screwed over? Our representatives in Austin are so fawking smart!
ex-el pasoan

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2009

Tired of this cra*p. Just don't let them in. Who are these idiots protecting our borders and ports of entries? are they blind? I encourage you to write to your elected officials in Austin and Washington but not to the ones in ELP since these are useless.
Mik

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2009

It is only a matter of time before one of these cartels and their operatives over here get brave enough to stage a huge raid on that hospital with AK 47s blazing and killing innocent people in the middle.

Of course they'll be tracked down and dealt with, but why is it our problem to pay for these peoples' healthcare? It will NEVER be paid for by the recipients and we know this. However, it's just another inevitability of the pathetic, wasteful "war on drugs" declared by Ronnie Reagan and his loony wife.

Things will only start to change when marijuana and other "less serious" drugs are decriminalized and re-scheduled and all the money we throw at increased law enforcement, incarcerating low-level drug users and dealers, and caring for MEXICAN CITIZENS wounded in their own drug war is spent on rehabilitation and education.
Colleen McCool

Killeen, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2009

True servants of the people, true patriots stand against fear mongering lies and propaganda. They
stand against policies that waste our precious lives and limited resources.

No spillage? huh...

Prohibition's legacy is legend in the waste of our precious lives and resources. Deaths and needless injuries happen too often in botched paramilitary drug raids. Overzealous, unconscionable to the extreme,situations are occurring! http://www.cato.org/raidmap/

In San Antonio DEA agents shot innocent 14-year-old Ashley Villarreal in the head, but deny any wrongdoing. More recently a San Antonio businessman who had rented a house to the Mexican consulate was kidnapped and is now thought murdered.
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2998....

A young college grad, Rachel Hoffman, coerced by police to act as an informant after she was arrested for marijuana possession was killed by the
drug dealers following a botched drug sting.
http://stopthedrugwar.org :80/chronicle_blog/2008/may/15 /tallahassee_pds_pathetic_resp ons

The violence and corruption triggered by our insane drug policy will end with repeal just as the bloody massacres triggered by alcohol prohibition disappeared after the Volstead Act was licked.

I beg you to help end the worst public policy since slavery; repeal prohibition. Murderers and other violent predators roam free, while we
police nonviolent social, medicinal and religious drug use. This is not the best use of our limited resources.

Get tough on violent crime, truly make our neighborhoods and children safer. We want a better drug policy. We want a Commander and Chief of Peace. We have had enough of servants of tyranny and oppression.

Law Enforcement Against Prohibition has kicked off the 'We Can Do It Again' project, calling for an end to drug prohibition.
http://www.WeCanDoItAgain.com
http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5663/t/45...

"The Latin American drug cartels have stretched their tentacles much deeper into our lives than most people believe. It's possible they are calling the shots at all levels of government." - William Colby, former CIA Director, 1995
nono

Loma Linda, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2009

make mexico pay, why should texans pay? Start charging every mexican vehicle entering the USA pay $5.00 towards the hospital fund...Screw mexico and the cartels that own their government
Impeach Mayor cRook

Walnut Creek, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2009

nono wrote:
make mexico pay, why should texans pay? Start charging every mexican vehicle entering the USA pay $5.00 towards the hospital fund...Screw mexico and the cartels that own their government
$5 ? my butt,$500 is more like it !!!

Mayor Crook & sil Reyes said it wasn't costing the county anything ---- LIARS !!!
charge it

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 28, 2009

Please do not reimburse the idiots of Hell Paso; they took them in for treatment so they should be stuck with the bill. Until the policy is changed about accepting drug cartel victims, then Hell Paso is stuck with the bill.
Mike

Vilnius, Lithuania

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jan 29, 2009

State Sen. Eliot Shapleigh, D-El Paso, asked:

"What are we doing to concretely develop task forces based on proven models on the drug corridors where we know these guys are operating?"

What kind of chuckleheads are elected in El Paso? "Proven models"?? I hate be bearing bad news, but all the "proven models" have been proven only to be failures. Drugs aren't going away, that's certain. There are people that will pay $100 for a gram of cocaine, and there are people who would pay $1000 for a gram of cocaine, if they had to.

I'm not sure that people in Texas are aware (in general) that ordinary mexicans DON'T get special ambulance rides across the bridge. These cases are sent by the DEA and the government. Ordinary mexicans don't get special security, either. The people sent are actually fighting a lost "War on Drugs" for the US government. I hope this makes a lick of sense to some of the people that might have thought otherwise.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Showing posts 1 - 9 of9
Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent El Paso Discussions

Search the El Paso Forum:
Topic Updated Last By Comments
wtf Jan '14 shygyt 1
Oilman Oscar Wyatt Jr. hospitalized after stroke (Jan '09) Nov '13 Concerned 22
Third of El Pasoans get medical care in Ju rez (Nov '08) Mar '13 Jose Can You See By The D 58
Work reunion: Ex-El Paso Natural Gas Co. employ... (Nov '10) Apr '12 Rose Baquera 12
Richard Kinder Irks White House, Kremlin and Wa... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Earl 2
girls that fun (Aug '11) Aug '11 Oscar 2
will gas increase (Jun '11) Jun '11 tax price 1
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••