Parking lot mogul fights changes to a...

Parking lot mogul fights changes to alley rules

There are 17 comments on the El Paso Times story from Sep 7, 2008, titled Parking lot mogul fights changes to alley rules. In it, El Paso Times reports that:

The battle between El Paso's largest parking lot operator and the city is getting nastier -- a fight that may end up costing thousands of Downtown visitors and workers more money to park their cars.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at El Paso Times.

Sick and Tired

El Paso, TX

#1 Sep 8, 2008
Whats new???? Just another way for someone to screw the working class and downtown. Its bad enough "certain" employers don't pay for their employees parking, you can bet the high archy doesn't pay a cent in parking! But now we are caught in the middle of some Jerk who can't understand El Paso city policies, and the city who can't clarify what it has in its plans for downtown. Is this suppose to help bring business downtown????
You can go block by block and see how the prices change depending on the monitoring, just look at the blocks right around the courthouse, there's at least four different prices right next to each other.
Business is business, but if this "businessman" (is he even from El Paso?) does raise the pricing, maybe he'll at least take us out to dinner first, since he's going to screw us.
Mannyman

El Paso, TX

#2 Sep 8, 2008
First the citizens were shook down by Western Playland and now here is another businessman threatening to do harm to us if he doesn't get his way. These ultimatums sounds like extortion of our city leadership and must stop, this is no different than a gang of thugs shaking down a neighborhood grocer. How does Mr. Woodward know what revenues he'll be losing? Whatever happened to sacrifice, it is always about that next buck which I might add is connected to greed, not need! I now wonder what his response will be to his loyal patrons should they decide to avail themselves of public transit. Get over yourself, this would be an idea time to show some love to the city with 17 lots I would doubt very seriously if his family would starve. Stop it with the blackmail!

Since: Jan 08

currently DC metro area

#3 Sep 8, 2008
If I can park in the alley, how would I be losing by not parking in your lot?

“Stop listening to hate radio”

Since: Apr 08

Alta, Iowa

#4 Sep 8, 2008
Seems Leon is no stranger to threats.

http://emdo.blogspot.com/2007/12/phoenix-owne...
Infuriated

United States

#6 Sep 8, 2008
2 words - Eminent domain - The city can take over the properties and use the funds from parking fees for city programs or such. I just wish the city could come up with a good economic plan for the downtown area. And there is no need for hiring aother useless high dollar consultant for anymore plans.
police state el paso

El Paso, TX

#8 Sep 8, 2008
what a jerk off
i bet that guy that owns 17 parking lots is already a millionaire
greed
Enough is Enough

United States

#9 Sep 8, 2008
Go ahead and threaten the city. If the city does eventually allow parking in the alleyways and you raise your prices, maybe people will start carpooling to work in order to save money and you will wind up losing "additional" revnue from those empty parking spaces. And if you raise your parking fees again to make up for that lost revenue, more people will carpool and you will continue losing additional income. Around and around it goes.
City Employee

Irving, TX

#10 Sep 8, 2008
Mr. Woodward is a greedy businessman. His lots are rip-offs in most cases because you pay in the slot (if you can find the right one) and the machine does not register it then you go back to your can to find a ticket on it! Since there is often no attendant to make change, you have to run across the street to get correct change and by the time you return in less than 5 minutes the ticket is there and there is still no attendant. I think the city should force him out and build city owned parking garages. With all the things being built or enlarged or usage changed to residential you are going to need a lot more parking than is available. What plans are being made for the expected new lessors of the Bassett Building condo-stle apts?
Omar Reed

Hillsborough, NJ

#11 Sep 8, 2008
Why is this guy controlling parking in El Paso, shouldn't the city take over and use that money to upgrade downtown?

Run this guy out of town and keep the money here.
justice for all

United States

#12 Sep 8, 2008
Just another greedy business owner trying to make more money. Lets all just boycott his parking spaces and run him out of town. Besides, he is not from El Paso. Make his business shut down and move elsewhere.
The Reaper

El Paso, TX

#13 Sep 8, 2008
Its all Susie Byrds fault. She started this war!
City raising rates

El Paso, TX

#14 Sep 8, 2008
The Convention Ctr is raising rates from $45 to $55 +tax next month. Guess they want a piece of the action too.
_Arrrrrrr

United States

#15 Sep 8, 2008
People should not park in Mr Woowards parking lots, he is the one making threats against you El Pasoans, BOYCOT him and run him out of business, he'll be paying property taxes for empty parking lots in downtown.

Paul Foster is going to build two large parking garages downtown, the city should also build a few multi level parking garages, run this guy woodward out of town is what he needs instead of making threats to milk you out of your money, GO SC REW this nimwit.
Mr Rogers

El Paso, TX

#17 Sep 8, 2008
$400,000 in my opinion he is making to much as it is. Now he want to threaten the city. He needs his ass kicked. I would like to know how much is this idiot paying in taxes if he is making that much.
Raqael Armendariz

El Paso, TX

#18 Sep 8, 2008
The Reaper wrote:
Its all Susie Byrds fault. She started this war!
Once again Mayor Cook is playing with fire. The guy owns the lots, he can charge what he wants. Cook is trying to skrew him,

Skrew Cook !!
Check out the rates for parking meters, and the amount of $$ fine if your meter runs out >> ridiculous !!

ps - downtown sucks, who wants to go there.
_Arrrrrrr

United States

#19 Sep 8, 2008
Raqael Armendariz wrote:
<quoted text>
Once again Mayor Cook is playing with fire. The guy owns the lots, he can charge what he wants. Cook is trying to skrew him,
Skrew Cook !!
Check out the rates for parking meters, and the amount of $$ fine if your meter runs out >> ridiculous !!
ps - downtown sucks, who wants to go there.
downtown sucks? RAQUEL, what ever do you mean downtown sucks?
sorry the wrong raquel, i thought you worked at the tap bar.
WOODWARD IS A RAT, dont park at woodwards, boycott him, he stands in the way of progress along with that other mongrel that owns star western whats his face?
whatever

El Paso, TX

#20 Sep 8, 2008
the city should take over the parking..this bastard is being greedy..

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sup (Jul '14) Jul '14 tatted up 1
wtf (Jan '14) Jan '14 shygyt 1
News Oilman Oscar Wyatt Jr. hospitalized after stroke (Jan '09) Nov '13 Concerned 22
News Third of El Pasoans get medical care in Ju rez (Nov '08) Mar '13 Jose Can You See ... 58
News Work reunion: Ex-El Paso Natural Gas Co. employ... (Nov '10) Apr '12 Rose Baquera 12
News Richard Kinder Irks White House, Kremlin and Wa... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Earl 2
girls that fun (Aug '11) Aug '11 Oscar 2
More from around the web