14 more scabies cases reported at El Paso schools

Full story: El Paso Times

Fourteen more cases of scabies were reported Wednesday at El Paso area schools. Ysleta Independent School District officials said that 11 additional students and two more employees were infected.
Comments
1 - 13 of 13 Comments Last updated Mar 20, 2009
Concerned parent

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

The tone of all these news reports, both in print and over the airwaves, implicates the schools' conditions/ lack of sanitation for the scabies outbreak. If indeed it was due to poor sanitation at the school level, the outbreak would be larger on one campus or in a classroom. It is clear to me that these incidences are the result of several children from one family at different schools (middle and elementary) who are infested. Scabies, also known as mange, is carried by animals who are infested with the mite. The infested students are going to school, finding out they are infested with mites BY THE SCHOOL NURSE, who is then required to document the case. These students are CLEARLY NOT being taken to their family doctor, clinic or hospital for identification of the rash. While I admire the schools for sharing the information, I believe they are being unfairly targeted by the media.

“"El Narco-Santo"”

Since: Jun 08

Culiacan, Mexico

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

solution?...bathe your mangie kids...
Shooter

O Fallon, MO

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Jesus Malverde wrote:
solution?...bathe your mangie kids...
Couldn't of put it better myself...then again have you happened to notice the skanks that drop some of these kids off in the morning? It's like they had just gotton out of their bed. What can you expect of their rugrats??

Since: Aug 08

El Paso, Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Maybe the economy is so bad that they can't affort to bathe daily or bathe with soap...
Treat it right

AOL

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Concerned parent wrote:
The tone of all these news reports, both in print and over the airwaves, implicates the schools' conditions/ lack of sanitation for the scabies outbreak. If indeed it was due to poor sanitation at the school level, the outbreak would be larger on one campus or in a classroom. It is clear to me that these incidences are the result of several children from one family at different schools (middle and elementary) who are infested. Scabies, also known as mange, is carried by animals who are infested with the mite. The infested students are going to school, finding out they are infested with mites BY THE SCHOOL NURSE, who is then required to document the case. These students are CLEARLY NOT being taken to their family doctor, clinic or hospital for identification of the rash. While I admire the schools for sharing the information, I believe they are being unfairly targeted by the media.

True. But, please do not go to a hospital ER for treatment or identification of the rash if you suspect scabies. ER's are for Emergencies...not for minor conditions such as scabies. Not only is it quite costly to use Emergency Dept. services, more importantly, care for those who truly need emergency services could be delayed due to those who choose to use the ER inappropriately.
Concerned parent

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Treat it right wrote:
<quoted text>
True. But, please do not go to a hospital ER for treatment or identification of the rash if you suspect scabies. ER's are for Emergencies...not for minor conditions such as scabies. Not only is it quite costly to use Emergency Dept. services, more importantly, care for those who truly need emergency services could be delayed due to those who choose to use the ER inappropriately.
Of course! You will notice that I did not say EMERGENCY ROOM. There are many options in our community for appropriate medical treatment, from free clinics to private physicians. It has been my observation as a parent of school age children that many parents KNOWINGLY send their child to school sick (running a fever, rash, etc.) so that the child can be diagnosed by the school nurse. This jeopardizes the health and well-being of not only the child's classmates, but all of the teachers that serve that child.
la jente

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Put down your quarts of busch light for 15 minutes and make sure your children get a good scrub down or bath.
what

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Freaking lazy parents. Buy some soap.
Germs

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

Does anyone know with so many kids getting it from different schools could it be possible that places where kids play like certain pizzerias, and play gyms cause it to spread?
wow

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 13, 2009

u guys r dumbasses lol
im gunna laugh if one of u guys end up with that shit!

Since: Aug 08

El Paso, Tx

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Teresa is patient zero and she went to the downtown bridge and spread it to every Mexican she could find..

“Feel The Force”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

Germs wrote:
Does anyone know with so many kids getting it from different schools could it be possible that places where kids play like certain pizzerias, and play gyms cause it to spread?
Mexican children are in ALL of the schools in the area. The school administrators actually prefer Mexican nationals to U.S. citizens because the Mexican kids are guaranteed to need the bi-lingual programs. The more kids they have in the bi-lingual program, the more federal money they get. I've heard two personal stories from co-workers, where their children were turned away from their local schools because they were "full," but they see lines of Chihuahua plates every morning unloading kids.

“Feel The Force”

Since: Dec 08

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 20, 2009

287g man wrote:
You are not that concerned of a parent if you allow your kids to grow up in El Paso with all those filthy illegals.
Fort Bliss. Some of us don't have a choice. We go where the military sends us.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sup Jul '14 tatted up 1
wtf (Jan '14) Jan '14 shygyt 1
Oilman Oscar Wyatt Jr. hospitalized after stroke (Jan '09) Nov '13 Concerned 22
Third of El Pasoans get medical care in Ju rez (Nov '08) Mar '13 Jose Can You See ... 58
Work reunion: Ex-El Paso Natural Gas Co. employ... (Nov '10) Apr '12 Rose Baquera 12
Richard Kinder Irks White House, Kremlin and Wa... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Earl 2
girls that fun (Aug '11) Aug '11 Oscar 2

Search the El Paso Forum:
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••