Las Palmas Medical Center unit to transplant kidneys

Full story: El Paso Times

For about 100 people awaiting kidney transplants in El Paso, a new clinic at Las Palmas Medical Center promises to be a lifesaver.
Comments
1 - 7 of 7 Comments Last updated Jun 29, 2009
Laura Coffer

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2009

Just because you can perform a kidney transplant, doesn't mean your insurance company will approve the transplant to be performed at Las Palmas. Most insurance companies approve transplants only in proven hospitals that have shown positive outcomes. It is not just based on the doctor's skill, but can the hospital and it's staff ensure a positive outcome. All transplants need pre approval no matter what insurance company they have. Of course, if the patient is paying out of pocket, they can go anywhere they want
Susan Burdick

Albuquerque, NM

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2009

I trust Dr. Rodales but let me see was it a little over a year that Dr. Chavez wouldn't let him operate. Five years ago I had a transplant in AZ my question is does he still do it the old way or is he doing it arthscopic way.
stupid

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2009

Judged:

that doctor looks a little too happy about transplanting kidneys
Reason He Is Smiling

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2009

What do you think he's doing with his left hand?
E_CUELLAR

United States

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 5, 2009

For all of you out there who have not gone thru ESRD, or know what it is, let me tell you, this man has saved my life twice, I have had 2 kidney transplants, and thank god, I am doing great, its been 13 years since my second transplant.
Thank you Las Palmas, for providing us ESRD patients, with a this magnificent Dr. here in El Paso.
no name at this time

El Paso, TX

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Mar 12, 2009

Yesterday 3-11-09 Las Palmas had a seminar to talk about kidney transplants and diabitie. I attended this seminar it was very informative. But, wehn I asked about geting my 15 year old transplanted. I was aked to call back tomarrow. I did call and gave them all the information they requested. I also, told them my 18 year old wanted to be the potential donor. I received a call back today. They told me one they are not set up to take people with Medicare, and two they are not set up to operate on childeren. This news was devestating to me. As you stated on the artical the travling not only with on person but with two. Hopital stay, hotal stay, and travel are very expensive.
anonymous

Nashville, TN

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Jun 29, 2009

Las Palmas will be doing transplants for Medicare patients within the coming year. As for the pediatric patients, they will not be performing them.
For the recipient, you can get grants for them to travel to get assessed by a pediatric program. I do believe that an extension of the Dallas pediatric program is available at Sierra. Ask your nephrologist for a referral to the Dallas program.
Out of town travel can be very expensive, but consider looking at the National Living Donor Assistance Fund. They will help with the cost for traveling out of town for the donor and a companion.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent El Paso Discussions

Search the El Paso Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
sup Jul 17 tatted up 1
wtf (Jan '14) Jan '14 shygyt 1
Oilman Oscar Wyatt Jr. hospitalized after stroke (Jan '09) Nov '13 Concerned 22
Third of El Pasoans get medical care in Ju rez (Nov '08) Mar '13 Jose Can You See By The D 58
Work reunion: Ex-El Paso Natural Gas Co. employ... (Nov '10) Apr '12 Rose Baquera 12
Richard Kinder Irks White House, Kremlin and Wa... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Earl 2
girls that fun (Aug '11) Aug '11 Oscar 2
•••
•••
Enter and win $5000
•••
•••