Drug war spillover discussed

Full story: El Paso Times 27
The state should reimburse El Paso law enforcement for providing increased security at Thomason Hospital, which has been forced to treat victims of the raging violence in Juarez, local lawmakers said Wednesday. Full Story
First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Someonesaid

El Paso, TX

#21 Jan 29, 2009
I was surprised to learn over 70% say to legalize marijuana. May ask what demographic was surveyed? Also, 70% of how many? A little more info please.
Colleen McCool wrote:
Over 70% and growing every day say legalize marijuana.
Servants of tyranny obstruct the will of the people and try to con us into believing they "care" while they waste our precious lives and resources - a con used by servants of tyranny, throughout history to make it look like they (the tyrants) have a conscience.
True servants of the people, true patriots stand against fear mongering lies and propaganda. They stand against policies that waste our precious lives and limited resources.
No spillover? huh...
Prohibition's legacy is legend in the waste of our precious lives and resources. Deaths and needless injuries happen too often in botched paramilitary drug raids. Overzealous, unconscionable to the extreme, situations are occurring! http://www.cato.org/raidmap/
In San Antonio DEA agents shot innocent 14-year-old Ashley Villarreal in the head, but deny any wrongdoing. Also in San Antone businessman who had rented a house to the Mexican consulate was kidnapped and is now thought
murdered.
http://www.cannabisculture.com/articles/2998 ....
A young college grad, Rachel Hoffman, coerced by police to act as an informant after she was arrested for marijuana possession was killed by the drug dealers following a botched drug sting.
http://stopthedrugwar.org :80/chronicle_blog/2008/may/15
/tallahassee_pds_pathetic_resp ons
The violence and corruption triggered by our insane drug policy will end with repeal just as the bloody massacres triggered by alcohol prohibition disappeared after the Volstead Act was licked.
I beg you to help end the worst public policy since slavery; repeal prohibition. Murderers and other violent predators roam free, while we police nonviolent social, medicinal and religious drug use. This is not the
best use of our limited resources.
Get tough on violent crime, truly make our neighborhoods and children safer. We want a better drug policy. We want a Commander and Chief of Peace. We have had enough of servants of tyranny and oppression.
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition has kicked off the 'We Can Do It Again' project, calling for an end to drug prohibition.
http://www.WeCanDoItAgain.com
http://org2.democracyinaction.org/o/5663/t/45 ...
"The Latin American drug cartels have stretched their tentacles much deeper into our lives than most people believe. It's possible they are calling the shots at all levels of government." - William Colby, former CIA
Director, 1995
john

Morgantown, WV

#22 Jan 29, 2009
Someonesaid wrote:
I was surprised to learn over 70% say to legalize marijuana. May ask what demographic was surveyed? Also, 70% of how many? A little more info please.
<quoted text>
There is no way 70% of Americans support legalizing marijuana. There is no way that many Americans are smart enough to realize how harmful drug prohibition is. The government says drugs are bad and the best way to deal with them is through prohibition and most Americans will believe that. I'd say the number is probably closer to 20%-30% of Americans realize how counterproductive marijuana prohibition is and would like to see a change. The other 70% are sheep and believe whatever they are told. For proof, just look at any possible replys to this comment below.
Dirt Bag

El Paso, TX

#23 Jan 29, 2009
john wrote:
<quoted text>
There is no way 70% of Americans support legalizing marijuana. There is no way that many Americans are smart enough to realize how harmful drug prohibition is. The government says drugs are bad and the best way to deal with them is through prohibition and most Americans will believe that. I'd say the number is probably closer to 20%-30% of Americans realize how counterproductive marijuana prohibition is and would like to see a change. The other 70% are sheep and believe whatever they are told. For proof, just look at any possible replys to this comment below.
This won't work...
George Perches

United States

#24 Jan 29, 2009
Glad to be out of El Paso wrote:
<quoted text>
Sometime the shoe just fits! The Juan and Carmen remark is true...have you ever lived there?
Nope.....but I'm there during the week and on the weekend's and they only target people that are involed....... so the shoe doesn't fit either! All I can say is that so many people buy into the media B.S, they then think it will spill over, but that is nonsense!
Dorado

Mexico

#25 Jan 29, 2009
3 years ago Mexican congress voted to decrimilaize posesion of small quanititites of drugs but the US forced a presidential veto.

http://www.voanews.com/spanish/archive/2006-0...
John Thomas

Salinas, CA

#26 Jan 30, 2009
Sometimes the simplest solutions are the hardest to see.

85 percent of all "illegal" drug traffic is in marijuana. End the fraud of marijuana prohibition and end the problem of the cartels.

We were supposed to have learned this lesson with the violence and corruption caused by alcohol prohibition.
matt h

College Station, TX

#27 Feb 15, 2009
Good luck on getting marijuana decriminalized. Politicians are too busy pointing fingers at everyone else to realize it's their own ingornace that is causing this violance. They'll probably just spend millions more fighting the "drug war" which in turn will make the drugs more expensive and people more willing to kill.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

El Paso Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
sup Jul '14 tatted up 1
wtf (Jan '14) Jan '14 shygyt 1
Oilman Oscar Wyatt Jr. hospitalized after stroke (Jan '09) Nov '13 Concerned 22
Third of El Pasoans get medical care in Ju rez (Nov '08) Mar '13 Jose Can You See ... 58
Work reunion: Ex-El Paso Natural Gas Co. employ... (Nov '10) Apr '12 Rose Baquera 12
Richard Kinder Irks White House, Kremlin and Wa... (Oct '11) Oct '11 Earl 2
girls that fun (Aug '11) Aug '11 Oscar 2

El Paso People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE