U.S. Pays To Upgrade Mexican Trucks

Apr 11, 2011 | Posted by: Agent of Chaos | Full story: www.judicialwatch.org

In the latest effort to accommodate its cherished trade partner in the south, the U.S. government is paying to upgrade outdated Mexican trucks that hemorrhage illegal amounts of exhaust on their trips north to deliver merchandise.

The Mexican trucks enter the U.S. under a 17-year-old international trade pact known as the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) and they’ve created an air pollution crisis. The air quality in border towns has been especially impacted by the exorbitant levels of exhaust released by the Mexican trucks, which also fail to meet American safety standards.

Since the Mexican truckers have no intention of fixing the problem, Uncle Sam has stepped in to save the environment. U.S. taxpayers have picked up the cost to replace old mufflers on dozens of trucks and many more are scheduled to be upgraded by the middle of this year. The unbelievable story was reported this week by an Arizona newspaper that says replacing the old mufflers with new catalytic converters will reduce harmful diesel emissions by up to 30%.

Comments
1 - 15 of 15 Comments Last updated Apr 14, 2011
Dee Dee Dee

Allentown, PA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2011

Isn't great that our government is helping to put more Americans out of work and kill more Americans on the highways?
Fed Up Vet

Herndon, VA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2011

Judged:

ANY truck which cannot meet U.S trucking and safety standards should be turned back at the border. Don't tell me we are spending my tax dollars to bring Mexican trucks up to our standards.
American Eagle

Encino, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2011

What is with the double standards again? Why is our government so determined to keep Americans out of work?
Maggie

Saint George, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2011

More insanity!!!!!!!!!!
Mona

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2011

Ya gotta be kidding me! You mean to tell me that YOU ARE USING MY TAX DOLLAR TO FIX A BROKEN DOWN MEXICAN TRUCK SO THAT IT CAN DRIVE IN AMERICAN AND DISPLACE AMERICAN TRUCKERS!!!!!!!!!! Oh, and promise me the Mexican truckers won't smuggle anything from drugs to people. Of course not! As things stand now, those that come here are not really inspected as they should be!

Not only that, this agreement is reciprocal! Meaning, American trucks can drive through Mexico! I ask you, what American trucker, packed with a truck load of goods, in his right mind, would drive anywhere near Mexico?!!! The American truckers would be sitting ducks for not only the cartels, but the average Mexican who wanted to make a few bucks from the gringos.

American illegal alien screw job #2019991288839--and counting!

“starting to wake up”

Since: Apr 09

brookhaven ny

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2011

news flash a record amount of trucks coming in from mexico are being hi-jacked the loads stolen and trucks being set on fire stay tuned for more details
Mona

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2011

sandman714 wrote:
news flash a record amount of trucks coming in from mexico are being hi-jacked the loads stolen and trucks being set on fire stay tuned for more details
Don't leave me hanging. Source? Something? I LOVE IT!!! Remember that f'kr Calderon boycotted some American goods (who cares?) because we were stalling on the truck driver thing? It would be great to hear that the Mexican truckers can't even get out of the starting gate in their own country!!! Please share your source!!!!
Mona

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2011

Remember, Sandman714, mainstream media doesn't report all of the news. The new technique is to ignore rather than to distort the news!...just like the Centers for Immigration Studies report that was issued last week when reported that 70% OF IILEGAL ALIEN HISPANICS RECEIVE WELFARE!!!!
Note the deafening silence on that one. Especially while we are wrangling with budgets, etc. Hummmmmm
Mona

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2011

Fed Up Vet wrote:
ANY truck which cannot meet U.S trucking and safety standards should be turned back at the border. Don't tell me we are spending my tax dollars to bring Mexican trucks up to our standards.
No! Are you kidding me?!!! They should transfer their load to American truckers at the border. Come on!!! Our truckers are losing $ as it is, plus gas prices. Truckers are what makes American run! We don't need help, or if we let it go, they will be saying they are good for our economy, and they are doing the work we won't do!
Maggie

Saint George, UT

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2011

Judged:

We cleaned out a lot of these dogs last election,we need to do a better job next election, and start at the top. Don't forget to elect someone who thinks"America and Americans first".
The Out Law Josie Wales

Moreno Valley, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 11, 2011

sandman714 wrote:
I sort of wondered how the Teamsters Union would react to this. Suppose this answers the question??
Mona

Seattle, WA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2011

Please note, if what Sandman714 wrote is true, then there is a news blackout on it, just like the silence on 71% of hispanic illegal aliens receive welfare....I dont trust our government. This could be happening, and they dont tell us so we don't join en mass. Strap your gat, times have gotten beyond calling and emailing your deaf congressman, it is time to get down...
In the meantime, Durbin is trying to pass the Dream Act!
paul shykora calgary

Calgary, Canada

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2011

Dee Dee Dee wrote:
Isn't great that our government is helping to put more Americans out of work and kill more Americans on the highways?
...sell dHem .AMERICAN-Built Truck's...toooooooooooooo boooot....yada u...eh...
Patito de Goma

Los Angeles, CA

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 12, 2011

Looks like we got ourselves a convoy.
ticked-off

Lockport, NY

|
Report Abuse
|
Judge it!
|
Apr 14, 2011

Patito de Goma wrote:
Looks like we got ourselves a convoy.
Yes A very sweaty , smelly, and stupid low class convoy.

Tell me when this thread is updated: (Registration is not required)

Add to my Tracker Send me an email

Type in your comments below
Name
(appears on your post)
Comments
Characters left: 4000
Type the numbers you see in the image on the right:

Please note by clicking on "Post Comment" you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Other Recent Environmental Quality Discussions

Search the Environmental Quality Forum:
Title Updated Last By Comments
New Gulf Seafood Trace Program unveiled (Dec '13) Dec '13 Seal 1
West Texas Oilfield Town Runs Out of Water (Nov '13) Nov '13 Its a Bazaar time 1
PGRX Receives Air Quality Permit for Constructi... (Oct '13) Oct '13 azanimal 1
Lawmakers leave global warming provision out of... (Apr '13) Apr '13 PHD 1
I hear the (coal) train a comin' (Mar '13) Apr '13 PHD 5
Simple ways to help make your home more energy ... (Jan '13) Jan '13 mc 1
Bad air days near record this year in Detroit, ... (Dec '12) Dec '12 Snot 1
•••
•••