The A'lipstick effectA': Buying small, comforting items can eas...

Like in today's rough economy, countless consumers during the Great Depression cut out luxury spending. Full Story
Melissa Tosetti

Oakland, CA

#1 Feb 28, 2009
This is a great article. Allowing infrequent, small indulgences, like an inexpensive bottle of nail polish, can be a powerful mood lifter. That bottle of polish will last forever and will give you a boost from your purchase every time you type or do anything with your hands.

Melissa Tosetti
Editor/Publisher
Budget Savvy
www.budgetsavvymag.com
GetReal

Denver, CO

#2 Mar 1, 2009
I always spend more on stupid stuff when I'm poor. Glad to see that I'm not alone. Or maybe I should be concerned that so many people are wasting money they don't have on crud they don't need?

Seriously, when I'm working full time, I don't have time to go buy new socks. When I'm unemployed and have time on my hands, sock-shopping is somehow important, even though I don't need new socks to sit around the house.
FatNSassy

Chicago, IL

#3 Mar 1, 2009
Buy American! Keep the jobs in this country. Buy either union made to insure fair conditions, or buy from small businesses. The corporations have too much power over your lives. They also have no loyalty to their country, taking jobs oversees. When you buy union or small business, you are helping the little people have more power over their lives instead of concentrating the wealth in the hands of a few greedy pigs who will use the wealth you helped them make against you.
I hate spendulous bills

Schaumburg, IL

#4 Mar 1, 2009
FatNSassy wrote:
Buy American! Keep the jobs in this country. Buy either union made to insure fair conditions, or buy from small businesses. The corporations have too much power over your lives. They also have no loyalty to their country, taking jobs oversees. When you buy union or small business, you are helping the little people have more power over their lives instead of concentrating the wealth in the hands of a few greedy pigs who will use the wealth you helped them make against you.
Oh, come on. Everyone will keep shopping at Wal-Mart where everything is made in Bangladesh by 9 year olds. And the numbers of Wal-Mart shoppers will grow the more we are taxed and beaten down into this recession.
A Chicagoan

Chicago, IL

#5 Mar 1, 2009
It could also be that women are buying cosmetics during tough financial downturns because they need to look good when job hunting.
been there

Palatine, IL

#6 Mar 1, 2009
Red lipstick is usually worn when going out.

The one thing I am truly hoping this rotten economy will bring back: elegance.

Men and women will HAVE to dress nicely to even get an interview. They will HAVE to know good manners or they won't get/keep a job. There will be an effort to prove they have the sophistication to fit the bill.
Quick Joey Small

United States

#8 Mar 1, 2009
Quit spending. Instead of "Buying Small," don't buy unless you need it. Don't let these so-called experts, unions and psycho-babblers,(Upton needs to go back to school, but as a student, and also needs to stick to one thought,) talk you out of more of your money. Remember, anytime you buy something, regardless of where it's made or where you buy it, you are paying at least 33% more than it's worth, but usually 50% more.

Retailers will always come down on their prices, even in the best of times. Pull that plastic out of your wallet, or your checkbook, or even cash and they will do whatever it takes to make sure you spend/use it before you put it back. They aren't your friends. They certainly weren't when they were raking it in, and they sure aren't now that they're going out of business.
Idzan Ismail

Banting, Malaysia

#10 Mar 1, 2009
How true. When I am down, I go out and buy lipsticks.
At the last count, I have 25 tubes of lipsticks from MAC, Dior, Channel to the cheap ones like Maybelline and Avon.
My favorite is Cherries in the Snow by Revlon.
ladies do you know the lipstick color Hillary Clinton wore on her trip to China.
The brand and the color name? I want to own it.
And does the US still have the Classic or Natural Oil of Olay beauty fliid.
You know the rose coloured fluid used by our mums and grandmas.
In my country we only have Total Effects, the whitening range and the age defence series.
I want to buy the Classic Olay which did good for mum who doesn't have wrinkly skin for a woman of 72.
Please tell me where to get it and how much it cost.
Thank you.
StephInDal

Denton, TX

#11 Mar 1, 2009
I can relate to this article. I not only just bought two blouses I need for job interviews but also a nice tube of lip gloss ($2.50).
SharonD

Saint Charles, IL

#12 Mar 1, 2009
Oh, come on: who're you kidding? In 2008 women were buying those items to give them the edge in the shrinking job market. Nothing like making a good first impression at your interview.
SharonD

Saint Charles, IL

#13 Mar 1, 2009
Idzan Ismail wrote:
How true. When I am down, I go out and buy lipsticks.
At the last count, I have 25 tubes of lipsticks from MAC, Dior, Channel to the cheap ones like Maybelline and Avon.
My favorite is Cherries in the Snow by Revlon.
ladies do you know the lipstick color Hillary Clinton wore on her trip to China.
The brand and the color name? I want to own it.
And does the US still have the Classic or Natural Oil of Olay beauty fliid.
You know the rose coloured fluid used by our mums and grandmas.
In my country we only have Total Effects, the whitening range and the age defence series.
I want to buy the Classic Olay which did good for mum who doesn't have wrinkly skin for a woman of 72.
Please tell me where to get it and how much it cost.
Thank you.
http://www.amazon.com/Olay-Active-Hydrating-B...

Of course, shipping to Maylasia will cost more than the item.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Estee Lauder Companies Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
To Save Money, Women Take Different Approach to... (Aug '08) Sep '13 Gonzalo 4
China's first supermodel (Sep '11) Aug '13 lawrTayler 17
Prescriptives cosmetics going out of business (Oct '09) Dec '12 Cynthia 24
FEMAP makes bid for MAC's $100K pledge (Jul '10) Apr '11 mac cosmetics sale 4
Americans Tire Of Penny Pinching, Treat Selves (Dec '10) Dec '10 Jason 2
Hurley, Lauder have an informed audience (Nov '10) Nov '10 shabby 1
Microsoft supports National Breast Cancer Aware... (Oct '10) Oct '10 hope4kids 5

Estee Lauder Companies People Search

Addresses and phone numbers for FREE