FPL raised rates even though fuel costs fell

There are 73 comments on the South Florida Sun-Sentinel story from Feb 14, 2009, titled FPL raised rates even though fuel costs fell. In it, South Florida Sun-Sentinel reports that:

Fuel prices have dropped dramatically from their peak last summer, but South Florida utility bills haven't followed suit.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

First Prev
of 4
Next Last
taxpayer

Nolensville, TN

#2 Feb 14, 2009
Lake Worth utility rates are higher than FPL.
charles

United States

#3 Feb 14, 2009
florida plunder and loot
Anti-Liberal

Fort Lauderdale, FL

#4 Feb 15, 2009
of course these creeps at FPL will s.c.r.e.w. the customer and get away with it. Its what you get when you have a monopoly controlling an entire market. Its the same cr.ap as well with those id.iots at the Florida Water manangement since they to have a monopoly.

Just f### the customer everytime and make sure that you keep the pockets of the local politicans well greased with gifts, bribes, kickbacks and political contributions to have them as a puppet on a string and to do your bidding like trained & obedient dogs.
Franco

AOL

#5 Feb 15, 2009
FPL is in the same category as Ghengis Khan.
Ruthless..
It only looks to overcompensate their heirarchy ..and having the economically strapped Floridians pay for it !

Tallahassee has to pass laws to handcuff their atrocities !
JOHN DOE

Palm Beach Gardens, FL

#6 Feb 15, 2009
FPL raises its rates regardless of whether the fuel prices are up or down. It doesn't matter. FPL is a private company that is out to make as much money as possile for its shareholders so they will continue to raise their rates as much as possible nomatter what fuel costs as long as the fl State Public Utiloities Board lets them get away with it.
chopper

United States

#7 Feb 15, 2009
We are all tired of being burned by our government, allowing the few to turn record profits, while most of us are losing our homes.At what point do our eyes open and we make a statement that counts?
I agree

United States

#9 Feb 15, 2009
They are ruthless. We had them come out 1/07, after we rec'd our Bill, checked meter and of course they said it was fine, only because they charge more, no matter your Consumption.

Our Dec '08 Bill again was higher than the one the yr earlier, based on 35 days bill, we were out of town on 14 of those days. Doesn't matter, they charge what they want.

They had several raises last yr over two months or so, now they are at it again.

C R O O K S and our GOVT OFFICIALS help them and receive Gifts, Kickbacks, Bribes, whatever you want to call them.:(
sarah palin says

Thaxton, VA

#10 Feb 15, 2009
what kind of fuel am I?

Tee hee. A cheap one?
Fred Ottley

Boca Raton, FL

#11 Feb 15, 2009
Thiefs!!
FPL SUCKS

Hollywood, FL

#12 Feb 15, 2009
FPL= SCUM
Notas Dumbas You

Dania, FL

#14 Feb 15, 2009
Why don't all you whining Obamaites stop complaining and offer alternatives .. price controls have been proven by history not to be effective.

government takeover of utilities has also proven not to be effective in keeping prices under control.

Time for you clowns to stop the b-s complaints and come up with a viable solution - or move elsewhere.
Sangy

AOL

#15 Feb 15, 2009
...Of course more money and bonuses for its executives. This is all that matters in the corporate world.

FPL is also major contributor to the Republican Party and since the Republicanz have a stranglehold on Tallahassee we can expect our bills to go even higher. Remember the Corporate mantra, "greed is good." Remember ENRON!

The Corporatist have pigged out for several decades and look where it has gotten us. We are now flat broke and the worlds’ largest debtor nation.
Craig Brand

San José, Costa Rica

#16 Feb 15, 2009
The people that run FPL who be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. They are nothing but low rent thieves.
MOJO

Opa Locka, FL

#17 Feb 15, 2009
FP&L should be ashamed of themselves.With falling gas prices and no hurricanes for the last couple of years their is no justification as to why the rates have not fallen.This is a typical company where greed and corruption occcurs.
Why is it that the state always allows them to raise rates.
Wouldnt be surprised if Charlie has his hands in the cookie jar.
My take on FP&L is give your customers FREE electric for 1 year and prohibit any raises until year 2020.Make them pay....
Louie

Jupiter, FL

#18 Feb 15, 2009
No one tries to use less electricity than I do.
I'm one of those "kooks" who shuts off lights, uses timers, uses less a/c and just about no heat, even for those few cold mornings.
But the final result is that prices have still gone up and if we use less, they just say we're increasing your cost anyway.
It's a no win situation.
They can do what they want to, because they own the Politicians.
jvc

West Palm Beach, FL

#19 Feb 15, 2009
FPL cannot raise rates on their, however, FPL consistently gets all the help they need and more having rate increases approved by the Florida PSC. Gov Crist, another lying politician, campaigned on bringing consumer rates back in line for insurance, utilities and taxes. What happened there Charlie? Forget what you promised the poeple of Florida? Crist, when it comes to helping taxpayers, you are no better than your predecessor.

As far as FPL..."However, you cannot use the fuel volatility in the marketplace as a point of reference as those price levels were not part of FPL's original projections," said FPL spokesman Mayco Villafana. Mayco, you should also explain that's FPL code for money saved (or not spent) on fuel will be given to shareholders and company executives; customers only get rate increase because they are easily approved without question.
gatormoe

AOL

#20 Feb 15, 2009
I'm tired of being screwed by taxes, by oil companies, by FPL, AT&T, no raises at work. I wanna be a politician so I can screw all of you for a change.
Native

Stuart, FL

#21 Feb 15, 2009
2% change in price is chump change. Other than try to tick people off and get a reaction, what is the point of this story and what can anyone do about it?
who cares

AOL

#22 Feb 15, 2009
all you people know how to do is complain. you whine all the time.

get a job and quit crying. and pay your bills. dead beats
fpl

AOL

#23 Feb 15, 2009
F is for favors

P is for politics

L is for lies.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 4
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Consolidated Edison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Wait after the medical exam Fri Ficilities Spesia... 1
con Ed job interview (Oct '06) Thu Anonymous 1,702
JOL# W15055 Craft Knowledge & Aptitude Test Prep Apr 25 Sam 2
Jr. Designer Non-Electric Craft Knowledge Test ... Apr 25 blessing 3
general utility worker (May '07) Mar '15 raggajan 320
Test for Jr Designer L1-2 W14099 (Nov '14) Feb '15 vickypizz 2
News No Raise At Work, Again? Follow The Yellow Bric... Feb '15 Laura 1
More from around the web