Power outages slam Upper East Side

Power outages slam Upper East Side

There are 39 comments on the Newsday story from Jun 27, 2007, titled Power outages slam Upper East Side. In it, Newsday reports that:

A power outage in the city's Upper East Side neighborhood cut traffic lights and some train service Wednesday afternoon, officials and residents said.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Newsday.

First Prev
of 2
Next Last
Sue Capone - NY

New York, NY

#23 Jun 28, 2007
You said the Long Island Rail Road was not affected but it was The Jamaica Train Station was not letting trains in or out of the station, this was from 9:30 last night, 100's of people were stranded. You should look into that...
Tommy

Holtsville, NY

#24 Jun 28, 2007
It was a power outage! Big deal... Live with it... Try living in a third world country with no running water, lack of food supply, and electricity.. MORONS! GIVE IT A REST! I am sick of people thinking they should have everything handed to them. Maybe if you lived in a third world country, you'd appreciate things alot more!!!

Since: Feb 07

Brentwood, NY

#25 Jun 28, 2007
Tommy wrote:
It was a power outage! Big deal... Live with it... Try living in a third world country with no running water, lack of food supply, and electricity..
And with more people like you the U.S. will BECOME a third world nation. If the reliability of the power isn't important then paying the bill for it shouldn't be either. The power in NYC shouldn't be going out, there's nothing to debate about it.
Franky

Woodbury, NY

#26 Jun 28, 2007
Tommy is right ON.

STFU, everyone...the power went out for what? An hour or two? All of sudden everyone is running around with their hair on fire. Its not like the power has been going on and off and on and off. It was a ONE TIME occurrance.

And dont tell me about that thing last year in Queens. My neighbor works for Con Ed and was on that job. He says there are TEN people in EVERY house build for five and air conditioners shoved in vitually EVERY window. But nobody tells you THAT. He says that neighborhood's power supply is so overloaded from illegal overcrowding of the houses that the lines literally MELTED off the poles during that outage last Summer.

But again...you never hear THAT part of the story, do you?
Pete

Huntington, NY

#27 Jun 28, 2007
I grew up in NYC and don't remember having summer black-outs EVERY year. What changed??

Brentwood, NY

#29 Jun 28, 2007
Franky wrote:
He says that neighborhood's power supply is so overloaded from illegal overcrowding of the houses that the lines literally MELTED off the poles during that outage last Summer.
Bullsh!t.
Pete

Huntington, NY

#30 Jun 28, 2007
Snake Eyes wrote:
<quoted text>
The population.
Larger population should not be an excuse for this. With advancementin technology CON ED should keep up. Why are they not??
Franky

Woodbury, NY

#31 Jun 28, 2007
Carter Burke wrote:
<quoted text>
Bullsh!t.
What makes you make that cliam. Who do YOU know who was there? Who do YOU know who lives in that neighborhood. Anybody? If not, please put forth here your (obviously) vast knowledge of the power infrastructure of Corona and provide an assessment of how its equipped to handle the population of the area.

We ALL look forward to your reply.
Bite Me

Brooklyn, NY

#32 Jun 28, 2007
Pete wrote:
<quoted text>Larger population should not be an excuse for this. With advancementin technology CON ED should keep up. Why are they not??
Layers upon layers of overbloated management and executives.

If that isn't accurate then it must be because they are undercharging their customers and a rate increase is in order.

Brentwood, NY

#33 Jun 28, 2007
Franky wrote:
<quoted text>
What makes you make that cliam.
You are the one who made a claim bozo, the onus is on you to support it. So, can you provide evidence of all those wires melting off poles because people in Astoria, Long Island City, Sunnyside, and Woodside were abusing the precious gift of energy Con Ed grants them out of pure kindness?
Or could it be that Con Ed didn't upgrade the equipment when they should have and instead waiting for it to fail and then thoroughly mismanaged the response causing an even greater system collapse?
Wow

New York, NY

#34 Jun 28, 2007
long island children wrote:
power outage -- for the people that know they act out the movies
DONT GO TO THEIR MOVIES
say it children:
TRANSFORMERS - more than meets the eyes
perhaps no one was hurt
2 days ago I was told that lightening can come from heat, not just rain clouds
in august 2003 there was a blackout in NYC
it was thought by one website in 2003 that a small explosion in the atmosphere could disrupt whatever was used to control peoples minds -- the mind weapons
I dont know if it worked then, or today for parts of NYC
One more thing about superman, yesterday they left a pair of mens red underwaer in the road -- in the mourning. I did not know what it meant except that suzanne somers house burned down and they showed one pair of mens purple underwear. I dont know what that is.
Positive thoughts for those inconvenienced by power out in NYC
posted earlier:
Condolences to both families of drowning victims.
Statistics say a certain number of people drown in the pool each year.
Statistics don't show names, places, addresses, or what was on tv or in movies, or music at the time.
All these stories tell of victims with clinton aliases
CLINTONS -- tell Long Islanders your movie money is more important than warning the people that mind weapons are being used to kill and hurt them.
DONT GO TO THE MOVIES
These drownings and the response to change the name of a law to that of a victim is a sign that the deaths are suspicious. This is like two years ago when there were a cluster of drownings. Cluster...
They wanted clinton to talk about it then, Jack Nichlaus 2 year old grandson
opened the sliding door, and drwoned int he hot tub. Clinton and Nichlaus played golf together after that.
Kenneth Clark --
Clinton was known as superman to some (Clark Kent), to others like the joke on West WIng said -- does that come with a cape and tights?
Yesterday after reading the comments on the Lindenhurst boy who fell from the second floor, One was about the Walendas. They planted a paper with an article about the Walendas before I read about Lindenhurst. SO there are people who know that mind weapons are used on children of all ages.
Cole lived near firemans park, and that thought was pointed out to me very strongly... so Tammy Kitson is on parkside.
what other movies was Tammy (Debbie Reynolds) in?
It Started with a Kiss (1959)
advertisement Air Force Sgt. Joe Fitzpatrick meets and marries a beautiful model, Maggie Putnam, on the eve of being shipped off to Spain. When the new Mrs. Fitzpatrick waits to join her husband, she promises him in a letter "the most wonderful surprise that could happen to two people." Joe naturally assumes that she's pregnant, but the surprise turns out to be a fabulous new car that he won in a raffle. His new bride and car win him the scorn and jealousy of Spain's most famous toreador, not to mention the suspicions of his commanding officer.
Kitson -- Americas Got Talent was on last night, perhaps those wacky guys don't like the show -- David Hasselhoff drove kit in his old show
I was woken with thoughts of young and restless
DONT GO TO THE MOVIES OR WATCH THEIR TV PROGRAMS. REGIS left Americas Got Talent for a reason. Look at the difference between talk shows - regis and Jerry Springer. That tells you Amercias Got Talent is documenting things int he songs and acts that are evil. They antogonize killers that use mind weapons.
CONDOLENCES.
Jesus, WTF kind of gibberish was that? Someone should cut your fingers of so you can never add crap like that to the interweb again.
sunni

New York, NY

#35 Jun 28, 2007
Tommy wrote:
It was a power outage! Big deal... Live with it... Try living in a third world country with no running water, lack of food supply, and electricity.. MORONS! GIVE IT A REST! I am sick of people thinking they should have everything handed to them. Maybe if you lived in a third world country, you'd appreciate things alot more!!!
Move back to your third world country pinhead.
Spelling counts

King Of Prussia, PA

#36 Jun 28, 2007
"About 135,000 customers, an estimated 385,000 people, were affected, Con Ed officials said."

Does anybody ever proofread this stuff before it goes out. Newsday is so dumb!
Tommy

Holtsville, NY

#37 Jun 28, 2007
sunni wrote:
<quoted text>
Move back to your third world country pinhead.
I was born in Mineola thank you... My parents were born on Long Island.
My ancestors date back to puritans and colonial times, Thank you. Cant get any more common then Smith and Williams. I am a full-blooded American. I love the land that was destroyed by building monster houses on 50x100 properties with no backyard. So dont tell me to go back, when I was born here, and ill die here. Because I respect this land and the people. Despite the bad choices and high taxes, I know that I can speak my mind in this forum and not be persecuted for my beliefs. Thanks and enjoy your day!
Effigy of the Forgotten

Bronx, NY

#38 Jun 28, 2007
Why does Newsgay report that the LIRR was not affected when many many riders were stranded ?
Tiffany Bambina

Tenafly, NJ

#39 Jun 28, 2007
Oh my God! What did those poor people on the Upper East Side do when they couldn't get their lattes and frappacinos?
not so fast

Bronx, NY

#40 Jun 28, 2007
Former New Yorker wrote:
Thats why you guys should just move to sunny, beautiful Florida to end all of your problems. I wouldn't want to give New York another dime of my hard earned money. I've had enough of the cramped, stuffy rides on the A train. Or having to deal with the ridiculous traffic on the Grand Central Parkway. Now you have to deal with blackouts? People get crazy in the nasty heat.. Ahhh.. New York, great place to visit, wouldn't want to live there...
try going without power for 12 days in sunny hot as heck fla after a hurricane. I did that for years- not fun- don't miss the hicks either
HUH

AOL

#42 Jun 28, 2007
Tommy wrote:
Tommy,

Nothing is handed to us. Long Islanders pay premium prices for all of these so called services. For what we pay we deserve the best.
Tommy

Holtsville, NY

#43 Jul 17, 2007
HUH wrote:
<quoted text>
Tommy,
Nothing is handed to us. Long Islanders pay premium prices for all of these so called services. For what we pay we deserve the best.
Deserve??? You seem awfully greedy. Be Thankful you can speak your mind here and not be persecuted.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker
First Prev
of 2
Next Last

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Consolidated Edison Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
con Ed job interview (Oct '06) Thu Stevecat 2,538
general utility worker (May '07) Thu Gtera 538
con edison test preception (Apr '13) Sep 5 Chris 3
Junior Electrical Technician Test (Mar '12) Aug '17 joe516 18
Jr. Designer Non-Electric Craft Knowledge Test ... (Feb '15) Apr '17 AndrewP 4
Medical exam? (Feb '17) Feb '17 RainInBklyn 1
Production Technician (May '16) Jan '17 Travis 6
More from around the web