Duke Energy CEO made $743K in 2007

Duke Energy CEO made $743K in 2007

There are 17 comments on the Asheville Citizen-Times story from Mar 21, 2008, titled Duke Energy CEO made $743K in 2007. In it, Asheville Citizen-Times reports that:

Duke Energy Corp. Chief Executive James E. Rogers received compensation valued at $743,591 in 2007, but the company said a prorated portion of a three-year stock award he received in 2006 is worth nearly $9.15 ...

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Asheville Citizen-Times.

Just the Facts

Charlotte, NC

#1 Mar 21, 2008
Now how are "illegal" immigrants working downtown on construction projects worth a thread of 39 comments and not one comment on this?

Isn't it insane that we worker bees struggle to have a home, food, transportation and health care while corporations post huge profits and individuals make more money than their work could possibly be worth.

Let's fight the corporate take over of our economy and our politics. Direct your "hate" at the real thieves of our jobs-not immigrants, corporatiions.

“Report and Deport1866-DHS-2 ICE”

Since: Feb 07

Location hidden

#2 Mar 21, 2008
I am in the wrong job!
Wonder how much arse kissing he had to do to get that far? More than I would have time for. tee hee hee

Since: Dec 07

Location hidden

#3 Mar 21, 2008
Do y’all have the same disdain for the athletes making $10,$25, even $50+ million a year? Many of them are so stupid and illiterate they couldn’t get a night shift job flipping burgers at McDonalds.

Or how about all the Hollywood and New York movie and TV stars raking in bigger bucks than the CEO simply because the masses swoon over them because they --`look so good’? Or the music (if that’s what it really is) persona raking in huge annual salaries because they rap or sing stupid ^%%$?

In my opinion CEOs are more deserving than the scum we collectively call – entertainers and athletes. Now that I’ve said that, I also believe they (or most of them) are over compensated by at least 75%.

Let’s just be fair in our criticism and spread it equally. If the deciding factor is “worth” then none of the above should be paid more than the surgeon standing above you that spent 12 years in school and is about to do something that will save your life. When you get right down to it – isn’t that how you finally measure worth?
Just the Facts

Charlotte, NC

#4 Mar 21, 2008
Yes and moms don't get paid at all!!! Go figure, the most important job. Is the world upside down? Maybe global warming will correct it.
Stone Jack Baller wrote:
Do y’all have the same disdain for the athletes making $10,$25, even $50+ million a year? Many of them are so stupid and illiterate they couldn’t get a night shift job flipping burgers at McDonalds.
Or how about all the Hollywood and New York movie and TV stars raking in bigger bucks than the CEO simply because the masses swoon over them because they --`look so good’? Or the music (if that’s what it really is) persona raking in huge annual salaries because they rap or sing stupid ^%%$?
In my opinion CEOs are more deserving than the scum we collectively call – entertainers and athletes. Now that I’ve said that, I also believe they (or most of them) are over compensated by at least 75%.
Let’s just be fair in our criticism and spread it equally. If the deciding factor is “worth” then none of the above should be paid more than the surgeon standing above you that spent 12 years in school and is about to do something that will save your life. When you get right down to it – isn’t that how you finally measure worth?
2morrow

Asheville, NC

#5 Mar 21, 2008
That's only a few dollars more than college administrators make. The chick here in Asheville pulls down $300K at this BS school. The head honcho-ette in Raleigh pulls down some very serious cash.
Cornbread1

United States

#6 Mar 21, 2008
We should form a committee to dictate how much private companys can pay their executives.
Forest in the Trees

Asheville, NC

#7 Mar 21, 2008
N.O.C.
Free the Proletariat

Waynesville, NC

#8 Mar 21, 2008
Cornbread1 wrote:
We should form a committee to dictate how much private companys can pay their executives.
You are right, Comrade Cornbread. All pay at every level of private business should be dictated by the central committee.

Asheville

#9 Mar 21, 2008
Just the Facts wrote:
Now how are "illegal" immigrants working downtown on construction projects worth a thread of 39 comments and not one comment on this?
Direct your "hate" at the real thieves of our jobs-not immigrants, corporatiions.
I agree it's a lot of money but a lot of other corporations pay a lot of money to their execs as well. Don't like it but I don't have any say in what a board of directors agrees to pay. I do have say in the fact that illegal immigrants are here against the law. I have nothing against them but everyone seems to think that because they may be nice, sweet, hardworking people, it's ok to look the other way.

The law is the law on immigration. If the law shouldn't be enforced, then it should be changed. Right now, it's illegal.

“Why do ya need to know that?”

Leicester

#10 Mar 21, 2008
So what if he makes that much? While it does seem exorbitant, he might just earn it having to listen to people moan, groan and b!tch all the time.

It isnt the government nor the people in the governments place to set wages or a cap on them. I wouldnt like it.

I would almost bet the farm (if I had one) that not a single one of us would complain if we were making that. I wouldnt.

Location hidden

#11 Mar 21, 2008
Dunnin wrote:
So what if he makes that much? While it does seem exorbitant, he might just earn it having to listen to people moan, groan and b!tch all the time.
It isnt the government nor the people in the governments place to set wages or a cap on them. I wouldnt like it.
I would almost bet the farm (if I had one) that not a single one of us would complain if we were making that. I wouldnt.
You are right, but I might give a few more sheckles to charity every year.

The check and balance is the BOD and the shareholders vote (shareholders vote for all BOD members and Elected Officers of a company; "Appointed Officers” which out number the Elected are glorified and highly paid employees controlling their own little fiefdom).

Dunnin, you are a “Material Girl” and that’s one of the facets I like about your persona.

Leicester

#12 Mar 21, 2008
Stone Jack Baller wrote:
<quoted text>

Dunnin, you are a “Material Girl” and that’s one of the facets I like about your persona.
LOL. I live within my means. If I had millions, more canines would be better off. While I believe in being good and sharing with others, Im not going to lie about it. I like $. I like having it in my pocket from time to time and I certainly bode no ill will toward those who have more than I do, of which there are many.

Asheville

#13 Mar 21, 2008
...and if I were earning $743K/year, I'd think I was worth every cent of it. lol

Location hidden

#14 Mar 21, 2008
Lake28804 wrote:
...and if I were earning $743K/year, I'd think I was worth every cent of it. lol
We all would! Even those that disclaim money want it because it brings freedom; even the communists want it to keep themselves in power. I'm sure you’ve been without money at some point in your lives. I'm also certain it's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it! You ladies remember the Pink Floyd song “Money” and these lyrics:

“Money, get away.
Get a good job with good pay and you’re okay.
Money, it’s a gas.
Grab that cash with both hands and make a stash.
New car, caviar, four star daydream,
Think I’ll buy me a football team.

Money, get back.
I’m all right jack keep your hands off of my stack.
Money, it’s a hit.
Don’t give me that do goody good bullshit.
I’m in the high-fidelity first class traveling set
And I think I need a lear jet.

Money, it’s a crime.
Share it fairly but don’t take a slice of my pie.
Money, so they say
Is the root of all evil today.
But if you ask for a raise its no surprise that they’re
Giving none away.”

Yeah: "keep your hands off of my stack”! lol

“Fourth Estate = Fifth Column”

Since: Apr 07

Location hidden

#15 Mar 21, 2008
Go Dunnin! I'd do the same.

Leicester

#16 Mar 21, 2008
retiredlawman wrote:
Go Dunnin! I'd do the same.
LOL. I cant help it. We are living in a material world and I am a material girl.:)

<kidding>

Txn

“NO TRESPASSING!!!”

Since: Feb 08

Humble, TX

#17 Mar 21, 2008
Dunnin wrote:
Sure you would! You'd be saying, "You know, the guy who runs (-company name-) makes over 2 million a year!! Why can't I?"

Yer a woman (blonde), and you'll always want more!! ;-D

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duke Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Duke energy sucks (Jun '15) Sep 18 rock richardson 8
Duke energy sucks (Jun '15) Sep 18 rock richardson 4
News Big utilities try to tilt solar energy market i... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Solarman 1
News Duke Energy Duke Energy turned N.C.'s sunny day... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Solarman 2
News Duke Energy seeking bids for renewable energy p... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Solarman 1
News Hundreds without power in Charlotte following M... (Jul '16) Jul '16 CharlottePro 1
Duke energy (Jun '15) Jun '15 Your mama 4
More from around the web