Utilities both thrilled, worried abou...

Utilities both thrilled, worried about electric cars

There are 8 comments on the Santa Cruz Sentinel story from Nov 22, 2010, titled Utilities both thrilled, worried about electric cars. In it, Santa Cruz Sentinel reports that:

The first mass-market electric cars go on sale next month, and the nation's electric utilities couldn't be more thrilled -- or worried.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Santa Cruz Sentinel.

Me and My Shadow

San Francisco, CA

#1 Nov 22, 2010
I can see it now, a few years down the road, people will be freezing at night so that they can afford to charge their cars so they can go to work the next morning. All the while creating a larger carbon footprint, increasing demands for fossil fuel electricity generation. Then getting a nasty text message from the "smart" meter folks about your energy consumption. Am I missing something here?
disillusioned

Miamisburg, OH

#2 Nov 22, 2010
I think the hybrids are the better way to go. You reduce emissions but do not impact local power supplies and dont have to be concerned with finding a power source away from home.
liner

Bronx, NY

#3 Nov 23, 2010
Me and My Shadow wrote:
I can see it now, a few years down the road, people will be freezing at night so that they can afford to charge their cars so they can go to work the next morning. All the while creating a larger carbon footprint, increasing demands for fossil fuel electricity generation. Then getting a nasty text message from the "smart" meter folks about your energy consumption. Am I missing something here?
Yeah, alot.....
lastoutlaw

United States

#4 Nov 23, 2010
Can't wait until the summer when the rolling brown-out alerts are called. How many EV owners will be stranded because their section of the grid is down?

That is going to be funny. The Enviro-Nazi's aren't ready for that one; they haven't really thought that far. This article only touches on that. But reality will be a whole 'nother thing.

And it won't be pretty.

I think I'll hang on to my Chevy. The more EV's there are, the more gasoline for me.

'Thanks greenies!', I'll be saying as I manage to travel from point A to point B on fairly open highways while they wait for the power to come back on so they can charge their cars and go home.

Three hours later.

“Be the change you want to see!”

Since: Dec 08

Rio Rancho, NM

#5 Nov 23, 2010
Electric vehicle clusters are expected in neighborhoods where:

Generous subsidies are offered by states and localities.(So your electric bills will go up.)
Weather is mild, because batteries tend to perform better in warmer climates.(Because they don't come with heaters.)
High-income and environmentally conscious commuters live.(They are toys for the rich, and tree-huggers will believe they're "saving the planet".)
liner

Boonton, NJ

#6 Nov 23, 2010
Ayahuasca Shaman wrote:
Electric vehicle clusters are expected in neighborhoods where:
Generous subsidies are offered by states and localities.(So your electric bills will go up.)
Weather is mild, because batteries tend to perform better in warmer climates.(Because they don't come with heaters.)
High-income and environmentally conscious commuters live.(They are toys for the rich, and tree-huggers will believe they're "saving the planet".)
Electric cars not only have heaters, they have air conditioning too. Who knew!!
(You didn't!)

“Be the change you want to see!”

Since: Dec 08

Albuquerque, NM

#8 Nov 24, 2010
liner wrote:
<quoted text>
Electric cars not only have heaters, they have air conditioning too. Who knew!!
(You didn't!)
Nope! So I expect you'll be buzzing around town in one soon, eh?

February in the Northeast will be a bit nippy.....
liner

Bronx, NY

#10 Nov 24, 2010
Ayahuasca Shaman wrote:
<quoted text>
Nope! So I expect you'll be buzzing around town in one soon, eh?
February in the Northeast will be a bit nippy.....
Unfortunately, my commute won't allow it. It's just going to be interesting to see how these things work out in the real world. On the surface, it sounds like a great idea for someone with a short commute....no gas stops, minimal maintenance. We'll see.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duke Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Duke energy sucks (Jun '15) Mar '17 PO_d Duke Customer 2
News Big utilities try to tilt solar energy market i... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Solarman 1
News Duke Energy Duke Energy turned N.C.'s sunny day... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Solarman 2
News Duke Energy seeking bids for renewable energy p... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Solarman 1
News Hundreds without power in Charlotte following M... (Jul '16) Jul '16 CharlottePro 1
Duke energy sucks (Jun '15) Jun '15 Duke energy sucks 2
Duke energy (Jun '15) Jun '15 Your mama 4
More from around the web