Tech could reduce coal facilities' em...

Tech could reduce coal facilities' emissions

There are 2 comments on the www.usatoday.com story from Dec 27, 2007, titled Tech could reduce coal facilities' emissions. In it, www.usatoday.com reports that:

Duke Energy is betting on that idea, and is now awaiting an air permit from Indiana for a $2 billion, 630-megawatt coal plant, large enough to power about 200,000 homes a year. Considered only average-size as traditional plants go, it would become the world's largest coal-fired power plant to use a new, cleaner technology called integrated gasification combined cycle, or IGCC.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at www.usatoday.com.

Pill

United States

#1 Dec 27, 2007
Pulverized coal plants were new technology when they were introduced and people had the same concerns about the cost of them as they have about the cost of gasification plants. The new process has been tested and refined and will be refined further as new plants are built. They will have a greater reduction in polution than the pulverized plants in use today. Not as perfect as we would like, but still a good improvement. Less sulphur in the air means less acid rain. Less carbon will make the sky look clearer. But,I do disagree with the solution of where to put the CO2 gas. Forcing it into the ground will likely cause unexpected problems somewhere else, especially in the water pathways underground. CO2 could come out in underground mines andd kill the miners. It coule come out into ground depressions and kill any birds and animals that inter the area as it is an invisable and orderless gas that replaces normal air. A better way might be to devise a way to break up the gas into carbon and oxygen and either release the oxygen into the atmosphere, or, reuse it in the combustion process of burning the coal gas. Sometimes, the people who are against new technologies are the ones that are proffiting monitarily, or, politically from the present processes.
EcoBiologists com

Jersey City, NJ

#2 Dec 27, 2007
I have just read about a company that is making diesel fuel from used restaurants cooking grease that the restaurants normally have to pay to have disposed of.. It's amazing what we have right in front of our faces and very few of the larger Wall Street Venture capital firms are looking into these alternative fuel sources..

PS: It's predicted that in 4 years more than 1/3 of the cars will be diesel. I'm game...:)

GreenDetermined dot com

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duke Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Duke energy sucks (Jun '15) Sep '17 rock richardson 8
Duke energy sucks (Jun '15) Sep '17 rock richardson 4
News Big utilities try to tilt solar energy market i... (Feb '17) Feb '17 Solarman 1
News Duke Energy Duke Energy turned N.C.'s sunny day... (Jan '17) Jan '17 Solarman 2
News Duke Energy seeking bids for renewable energy p... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Solarman 1
News Hundreds without power in Charlotte following M... (Jul '16) Jul '16 CharlottePro 1
Duke energy (Jun '15) Jun '15 Your mama 4
More from around the web