Enviro group voices concerns over SC ...

Enviro group voices concerns over SC nuke plants

There are 3 comments on the Myrtle Beach Online story from Sep 4, 2008, titled Enviro group voices concerns over SC nuke plants. In it, Myrtle Beach Online reports that:

An environmental group that has filed a petition seeking to block Duke Energy Corp.'s plans to build two nuclear reactors says it's concerned about the facilities' potential impact on the water supply.

Join the discussion below, or Read more at Myrtle Beach Online.

Free America

Myrtle Beach, SC

#1 Sep 4, 2008
Here's a voice for you envirowhackos! SHUT UP! JUST SHUT UP! A new nuclear plant is NOT going to use up all the water. It will NOT turn SC into a desert. You people and your liberal leftist DNC buddies are one of the primary reasons we have an energy problem in America as it is. France gets 80% that's EIGHTY PERCENT of there energy from nuclear power. WE have the most cutting edge technology when it comes to power production and safety. But groups like yours and your lapdogs in congress are constantly standing in the way of progress.
SO, because the politicians won't do it, I will...SHUT UP!
Build the plants. Make America energy independent!
BDV

Chicago, IL

#2 Sep 4, 2008
FA,

If you think the voices of some whackos are enough to affect policy, you are sorely mistaken. Rather, their ridiculous squeals just offer the needed cover for the pro-oil/pro-coal politicians.

In the two decades after Chernobyl, the oil barons have enjoyed unchallenged lordship over the world's economy power sources. Dirty coal, as long as they did not come with no crazy ideeas (e.g., gasifying coal to compete with oil), were also allowed their cut.

However, there are cracks in the shell. Third worlders are starting to challenge the oil monopoly. While some have rejected the anti-nuke hysteria and refused to destroy their own economies by closing Soviet style nuclear plants (Bulgaria, Slovakia, Lithuania), others have went and built new plants altogether - Romania has built two reactors, and three more will come out in the next decade.

USofA is the big prize, of course. Once the first new reactor is built, you will see a mad scramble, because every politician will want his cut from the 1-2 billion dollars of lucre that falls off a 5-10 billion reactor. That's why the desperation in enviro-whacko exortations ("we'll die of thirst", "RAY-DEE-ay-SHUN is the Evil Eye", "0 pollution energy is just around the corner", "wait, we already have it available", etcetera, etcetera).

Will the oil boys take this sitting? My hope is that, once things become unavoidable, they'll chose to "diversify", for the benefit of us all.
John

Tower, MN

#3 Sep 4, 2008
High temp reactors can be the answer for thirsty people on this planet. Desalination consumes most of the surplus heat. With desalination 80% efficiency is possible. We need to move to more efficient reactors that produce only one percent as much radioactive waste.

Tell me when this thread is updated:

Subscribe Now Add to my Tracker

Add your comments below

Characters left: 4000

Please note by submitting this form you acknowledge that you have read the Terms of Service and the comment you are posting is in compliance with such terms. Be polite. Inappropriate posts may be removed by the moderator. Send us your feedback.

Duke Energy Discussions

Title Updated Last By Comments
Duke energy sucks (Jun '15) Mar '17 PO_d Duke Customer 2
News Big utilities try to tilt solar energy market i... Feb '17 Solarman 1
News Duke Energy Duke Energy turned N.C.'s sunny day... Jan '17 Solarman 2
News Duke Energy seeking bids for renewable energy p... (Oct '16) Oct '16 Solarman 1
News Hundreds without power in Charlotte following M... (Jul '16) Jul '16 CharlottePro 1
Duke energy sucks (Jun '15) Jun '15 Duke energy sucks 2
Duke energy (Jun '15) Jun '15 Your mama 4
More from around the web